Pregnant after a Loss

NERVOUS!!!

I just found out on Friday I am pregnant.  I'm so new- like 3 weeks 5 days new! 

Here's my story,  I have a 5.5 year old daughter.  I lost my son in Feb 2014 at 27 weeks... we found out late in the pregnancy he was very sick with multiple heart defects and pulmonary conditions.   

I'm so scared this is going to happen again, or something equally as bad.   My question is - did you opt for any genetic testing?  I have read a few articles, but there is so much information.   If you did, what exactly was the process. Questions, Bloodwork, Ultrasound?   Did you or are you planning to have an amniocentesis? 

Re: NERVOUS!!!

• I am over 35, and opted for what is called Integrated Prenatal screening here.  I think there are actual "brand names" for this test other places as I hear what sounds like a similar screening process referred to by different names in the posts.  It involves and extra ultrasound and blood work between  ?11 &13 weeks and a second round for blood work between ?15 w 3 days and 17 weeks 5 days.  It tests for increased risk of Down syndrome, Spina Bifida and  several trisomies.  Dependent on the results of the screen further testing amnio/CVS may be recommended.  I've had the first part done but no results yet.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor recommends all of her patients do this test and so I had them done with my last pregnancy. Everything came out perfectly  fine. I know the wait is stressful and nerve wracking, but just take it one day at a time and try to other things to keep your mind off of it. I feel your pain, hang in there! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Loading the player...
  • edited February 2016
    For some reason, only the previous comment popped up on my feed... my mobile app goes bonkers sometimes. So I'll elaborate my previous answer...

I went in for the genetic bloodwork and the nuchal translucency screening around 10/11 weeks (which from what I understand is a more in depth ultrasound to check for genetic defects). About 3 weeks later all my tests came back that there was nothing to worry about. 

At 20 weeks my doctor told me I needed to have an amnio because there was a presence of spinal fluid in my bloodwork. It was scary, I didn't want to do it, but I wanted to know. That was when we found out we lost our son. It was not due to a genetic problem though, it was a totally random, unpreventable, issue with the placenta. 

I plan on doing the test again with this pregnancy for piece of mind. I would rather know as soon as I can if there is something wrong. But no doubt about it, it is nerve wracking.
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • I'm so very sorry for your loss. I had a cell-free dna test. (Brand names include MaterniT21, Harmony, Panorama, etc.) It is a blood test done after 10 weeks. I don't think it checks for any heart conditions, but it does check for trisomies, like Downs Syndrome. And you get the added bonus of finding out the sex of your baby very early. My testing went well, so there was no need to do an amnio. 
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I opted out of genetic testing. Mostly bc I have two seemingly healthy boys. But I've also had 3 losses. I worry about false positives causing unneeded stress. I know some tests have a really high accuracy rate though. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    BabyFetus Ticker