January 2016 Moms

Calling the Pedetrician

My husband and I have gotten into huge fights that I'm calling the pedetrician too much and worrying too much - where he is screaming at me that I'm being crazy. She is 3 weeks old - we called the 2nd day because she was wheezing (her lungs were fine it turned out and they were just baby sounds), we called last week because she had a bad diaper rash and her diapers smelled like ammonia (he gave us some diaper cream and said the ammonia smell was ok) and now her nose has run and sounds stuffy (and when she was at her physical therapy appointment this morning for her jaw, the doctor agreed with me and said it sounds like she is so stuffed up she can barely breathe). Anyway my husband told me I'm being insane. Is it crazy that I would have 3 calls in the first 3 weeks (she also had 2 well visits on that time). I'm a first time mom and living out of state for the year away from family and friends so other than the internet - I'm not sure how to know what things to be concerned with and what not to.

Re: Calling the Pedetrician

• Not crazy to me! I'm also a FTM and had at least that many calls by a week old! Why worry when you can ask a doctor with a quick phone call? I definitely have some PPA going on, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's not crazy. I called to talk to a nude about poop... The next day I called to make an appointment because I felt he was getting constipated.
    That's what the pediatrian is there for ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Those all sound like valid reasons to call, and I'm a STM. Would you rather be "crazy" or have a safe, healthy baby?

Talk to your husband when you're calm and not upset. Explain to him that you are just trying to make the best choices for your baby's well being because this is something you've never done before! Some of these things will die down and seem less urgent as baby grows and you learn what's normal and what's not. Right now, you're going to err on the side of caution and trust me, the pediatrician will understand because I don't know any FTM who wouldn't do the same. **hugs**

• Please don't worry about calling your pediatrician - that's what they're there for!  And they expect a certain amount of panicked calls from first time parents.  It's okay!  Just go with your instincts and call.  :)
  • I called my pediatrician crying with my first baby because he was really lethargic from his jaundice, which they were watching very closely. I am not one to ever call the Dr. It is totally normal it is a combination of real concerns, first time experience and some anxiety from your hormones. They totally expect it and a great pediatrician will be more than understanding- we like to think their job is to care for children, but taking care of parents is a big part of their job too, mine called me that evening from home to make sure things were improving and told me he was on call so to call at any time that night. Do what you need to do- it'll get better/ easier and a good pediatrician won't mind one bit.
  • My baby is three weeks old and ive called the nurses hotline 4 times. I don't even care anymore if I have question even if it's dumb I call... You know what we are still learning, and it might be nothing but if it wasn't you would never forgive yourself if you had thought to call but you didn't!
  • Call whenever you are concerned. I called due to DS being stuffy/breathing funny and I'm a STM. They said to get saline drops to loosen up the mucus then use the suction bulb to suck out snot. It's worked great for us. Good luck.
  • My daughter is 4 weeks old and I've called atleast 3-4 times with questions. That's what they are there for..hang in there, you are doing the right thing...better to be safe than sorry!
  • I'm a pediatric nurse and you know what? I call the pediatrician a ton too because it's better to be safe than sorry! When kiddos get sick, we don't have the same amount of time to get on top of things as we do for adults. Also things present differently in kiddos. They tend to get worse faster than adults because they are smaller and everything is not fully developed. I'm the butthead nurse at work. If I don't feel confident in what I'm doing for a patient I don't hesitate to call their doctor at all and I do not care what time it is. I would rather make sure I'm doing all I can vs assuming it's going to just be okay.
    Good parents ask a lot of questions to ensure their kiddos health and safety. I would much rather have a parent that hounded me than one who was like Oh well.
    DD1 has asthma, ADHD, and anxiety disorder so if anything is wrong I am calling her pediatrician ASAP. It is also the exact same when DD2 gets here.
    Your husband needs to get over himself because you are doing exactly what you should be doing as a mom of a baby born during cold and flu season. Our babies are at higher risk for RSV too. Medically speaking you are being an excellent and exceptional advocate for your baby!
  • My little girl is almost three weeks old and I've called at least four times. They encourage me to call and say no question is stupid so keep calling, mama!
  • I had to stay in the hospital for 4 days when DS was born.  I was so glad I had a nurse or Dr a call button away because I was terrified! My mom is a CRNA and staying with SO and me so I can usually ask her but they both think I'm nuts because I constantly check that LO is breathing. Everything makes me nervous because he's so fragile (at least in my eyes) and he's so valuable to me and like @PedsIsHardcore said if something is wrong, it can get serious fast in newborns. Maybe I am hypervigilant but I told SO that he was inside my body for almost a year and they cut him out of my body and I had a right to protect him as much as I felt was necessary! I hope things settle down,  it's tough to feel judged, especially as a new mom.  I've had to tell my partner to back off a few times. 
  • You think you are nervous? Guess what? Newborns make everyone nervous including the healthcare field. Never hesitate to call. The nurse is there to triage and if she/he thinks baby needs to be seen they will make that known. When in doubt, ask! Now if you were running to ER everyday that would be a bit crazy haha. Babies are
    delicate and it's ok to worry. 
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses