April 2016 Moms

Antiviral medication

I guess this would be more a STM+ question, but any answers would be great.

Has anyone here had to be on an antiviral medication while pregnant. Were there any effects on baby? How long were you on it? 

My dr. put me on a Class B antiviral and I'm worried about the baby. I hate taking anything while I'm pregnant. I am just a worrier by nature.

Re: Antiviral medication

• Class B just means there hasn't been enough testing to prove it safe or not. If your OB prescribed it, it means s/he has weighed the risk-reward ratio and decided it is better for you and baby to take the antivirals than not.

If you're still concerned, ask for a second opinion from another doctor, not the Internet. None of us are OBs, so all we could tell you here is anecdotal. If you just want reassurance, individual stories can help but they really shouldn't determine your medical decisions. 
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mrstrax said:
    Class B just means there hasn't been enough testing to prove it safe or not. If your OB prescribed it, it means s/he has weighed the risk-reward ratio and decided it is better for you and baby to take the antivirals than not.

If you're still concerned, ask for a second opinion from another doctor, not the Internet. None of us are OBs, so all we could tell you here is anecdotal. If you just want reassurance, individual stories can help but they really shouldn't determine your medical decisions. 
    Oh this is in no way affecting whether or not I take it... I've already started it. I have trust in my OB. I was really only looking for stories. Sorry. I thought that was clear since I didn't ask if I should take it or not.... just for other's experiences. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mrstrax said:
    Class B just means there hasn't been enough testing to prove it safe or not. If your OB prescribed it, it means s/he has weighed the risk-reward ratio and decided it is better for you and baby to take the antivirals than not.

Oh this is in no way affecting whether or not I take it... I've already started it. I have trust in my OB. I was really only looking for stories. Sorry. I thought that was clear since I didn't ask if I should take it or not.... just for other's experiences. 
    Oh sorry! I misread. I hope you get reassurances you're looking for and feel better soon! 
    Anniversary 
  • KelBelleBabyKelBelleBaby member
    edited January 2016
    mrstrax said:

Here's my story OP: At 22-23 weeks I was diagnosed with shingles. Apparently it's not very common in pregnant women. The rash was on my belly and I became concerned when pain began. My doctor prescribed antivirals and told me that my baby would not be harmed. I was worried as well but it was caught early enough that the medication began working right away and was very effective. I am now 28 weeks tomorrow and all of my subsequent visits and tests have shown a healthy baby boy. 

Granted that everyone is different, but I hope my experience helps put your mind at ease.

Edited for typo
  • @KelBelleBaby  yes, that helps. Thank you
  • I take 500mg of generic Valtrex daily to help ward off oral herpes. I've been on the medication for a couple years now and my doctor told me to stay on as oral herpes can worsen with pregnancy. Neither my GP or OB seemed to think it would have any effect on my baby. They think the risk of kissing my baby during a "bloom" would cause much more damage than the med itself. 

P.s. Now sure if it matters but my cold sores are wicked intense. If I am not on the med they tend to spread from 1 side of my mouth up into the sinus cavities. I have several scars from them as well. If not controlled I can go several months of continuous sores. 

I just wanted to write this so any other mothers out there with oral herpes don't get scare after reading my post that they could cause harm to their babies. I would suggest lots of hand washing and no kissing when in bloom, but your cold sores probably aren't nearly as crazy as mine, at least I hope not. 
  • I take 500mg of generic Valtrex daily to help ward off oral herpes. I've been on the medication for a couple years now and my doctor told me to stay on as oral herpes can worsen with pregnancy. Neither my GP or OB seemed to think it would have any effect on my baby. They think the risk of kissing my baby during a "bloom" would cause much more damage than the med itself. 

P.s. Now sure if it matters but my cold sores are wicked intense. If I am not on the med they tend to spread from 1 side of my mouth up into the sinus cavities. I have several scars from them as well. If not controlled I can go several months of continuous sores. 

I just wanted to write this so any other mothers out there with oral herpes don't get scare after reading my post that they could cause harm to their babies. I would suggest lots of hand washing and no kissing when in bloom, but your cold sores probably aren't nearly as crazy as mine, at least I hope not. 

You poor girl! I get cold sores but only once in awhile and the most I have had is three at a time.  I got one right after my son was born with the first pregnancy so im going to ask the doctor is she can prescribe me valtrex right after I have the baby to hopefully stop one from developing! It was awful not being able to kiss my son the second day he was born! :(

You poor girl! I get cold sores but only once in awhile and the most I have had is three at a time.  I got one right after my son was born with the first pregnancy so im going to ask the doctor is she can prescribe me valtrex right after I have the baby to hopefully stop one from developing! It was awful not being able to kiss my son the second day he was born! :(
    That's a really good idea! I'm sure with pregnancy weakening your immune system and just the general stress of child birth it is the perfect storm for cold sores. 
    You might want to look into a prescription cream called Zovirax as well. I used to use acyclovir and Zovirax together before valtrex went generic. It was wonderful at shortening up the life of the cold sore if one did appear, and made my lips feel much more comfortable. 
    Valtrex has been a lifesaver though and I hardly ever have a bloom anymore.