March 2016 Moms

*All Things Birth/Labor*

Re: *All Things Birth/Labor*

• "4 cm" would be a good code word for Oreos...
  • kitteh81 said:

"4 cm" would be a good code word for Oreos...

Except the way this group freaks out, probably not.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Loading the player...
  • Haha, ah I love everyone's humor here.

@evemadalyn I am sorry your hospital is set like that. Our hospital has a nursery with incubators and all. They do in courage mom and baby time, but they also want you to rest while you can so they offer to keep baby in the nursery other than feedings (but only at night, during the day, the baby stays with you). They were a life saver with ds, I got really sick from the new bane and between throwing up and the c-section there was no way I would have been able to handle ds. Dh spent the nights at home. When it came time to feed ds, a nurse would come in and hand him to me and help me get him to latch. When he was done, I'd buzz one back in and they would get him settled back in his rolling crib.
  • Thanks @red3ye ! I wish our hospital was like that! They do have the nicu for preemies or newborns in need of help, but no nursery for all the others! I'm trying not to stress to much, but I just feel bad for my dd being out of her comfort zone for those few days!
    View Full Size Image
    Happily Married 7/2011
    DD Born 8/2013
    Baby Due July/2015(Loss Dec2014)
    Baby #2 Due March/2016

• skruhmin said:
    That's almost like being a few fries short of a happy meal ;)
    It was the most painful 15 mins wait for the fries to come, especially when epidural didn't work!!!!!
  • skruhmin said:

An I don't know if this offers any reassurance to anyone here, but most labors start at night - like overnight.  I think it has something to do with being relaxed for sleep.  A good indicator that you might go into labor is that the day or two before you will start feeling crappy - like you're coming down with the flu.  Your body is prepping for labor and telling you to rest.  Not saying labor is iminent, but I've heard that from so many women.

Happened to me with my first.... no one believed me that I just felt crappy. ... with my twins I knew why... and by my 4th boy... I said yall better get ready cause this baby is coming!
  • Just read through this whole thread in one sitting, you all are amazing with your advice. I would honestly feel SO clueless about all this labor and delivery stuff (FTM here) if it weren't for you all. Thank you so much for sharing your advice and experiences!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kitteh81 said:

After the initial intake monitoring, I opt for them to forego the double-strap monitoring in favor of intermittent heartbeat checks with the doppler. When those belts are on you, the staff expects you to lie still so as not to mess up the reading. Staying still in labor is a no go for me! Movement helps with pain relief! So, if you're going for a med-free birth, know that intermittent doppler monitoring is an option.

And they have you sitting still for way too long. I opted for intermittent monitoring last time and they monitored me a few times for 30 minutes at a time. My midwife came in while they were hooking me up the last time (about an hour before baby was born) and said they only needed about 30 seconds of monitoring. I could have kissed her!
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Has anyone used a peanut ball during labor?  I did a Skype session this weekend with a college friend who is now a childbirth educator, and she really recommended one since I'm planning on having an epidural.  I'd never heard of them.  Trying to decide whether to get one or not.  They're fairly affordable, so it's more an issue of whether it's worth it to transport to the hospital with us (they're a little bit bulky and we live in NYC so we'll be taking a cab).  Thoughts?
  • @katelin318 I'm curious why the peanut ball would be better than a regular ball? And what about it makes it so great if you're having an epidural? You can't really move if you have an epidural. Did she explain?
    imageimage

• @mshukh my understanding is that the peanut ball is used while lying down, not for sitting/bouncing like a birth ball.  It's smaller and more oblong (like a peanut) and you put it between your knees to help keep your pelvis open when lying on your side, since movement is limited once you've had an epidural.  This can also be accomplished with pillows, but my friend said the peanut ball works better.  Just wondering if anyone had used one or had opinions on them!
  • @mshukh my understanding is that the peanut ball is used while lying down, not for sitting/bouncing like a birth ball.  It's smaller and more oblong (like a peanut) and you put it between your knees to help keep your pelvis open when lying on your side, since movement is limited once you've had an epidural.  This can also be accomplished with pillows, but my friend said the peanut ball works better.  Just wondering if anyone had used one or had opinions on them!

Check with your hospital and see if they have them. I know my hospital offers a variety of birthing balls including the peanut.

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • @katelin318 When we took our birthing class they showed us the peanut ball and explained what you were talking about.  I had an epidural with my first and assume I will with this one, so I'll be interested to see about the peanut ball.
  • I know the midwives in my last practice were starting to use these. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• They have peanut balls available for use at my hospital, along with regular balls of various sizes. The nurse teaching our childbirth class said the peanut balls are awesome! Call and check with your hospital before purchasing one. 
  • Love the peanut ball info, thanks! I've never heard of it but I'll definitely be asking about it at our hospital tour.

Another 'food for thought' item is whether or not you'd like a mirror during delivery. I declined with my first two but for some reason went ahead and watched my 3rd being born and it was truly amazing. I've also heard it helps people with the pushing phase of labor, being able to see the progress they're making.

• Another 'food for thought' item is whether or not you'd like a mirror during delivery. I declined with my first two but for some reason went ahead and watched my 3rd being born and it was truly amazing. I've also heard it helps people with the pushing phase of labor, being able to see the progress they're making.

I didn't think I'd want the mirror prior to being in labor, but when they asked, I went for it and I'm so glad I did. It was an amazing and motivating experience.
  • Another 'food for thought' item is whether or not you'd like a mirror during delivery. I declined with my first two but for some reason went ahead and watched my 3rd being born and it was truly amazing. I've also heard it helps people with the pushing phase of labor, being able to see the progress they're making.
    I didn't think I'd want the mirror prior to being in labor, but when they asked, I went for it and I'm so glad I did. It was an amazing and motivating experience.
    What does it look like down there? Just wondering if I don't shave before I deliver, am I only going to see a bunch of hair and blood?  I didn't ask DH even though he saw the whole thing when I delivered DD.  I wasn't sure if it was traumatizing for him or not. 
    What does it look like down there? Just wondering if I don't shave before I deliver, am I only going to see a bunch of hair and blood?  I didn't ask DH even though he saw the whole thing when I delivered DD.  I wasn't sure if it was traumatizing for him or not. 
    I just don't even want to look.  I can feel it just fine.  It may be different if it's taking forever to get baby out, but no.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• The mirror is above you at an angle, and your whole vag situation is all stretched out so you don't even really see hair that I remember.  I also didn't see the tearing or pooping because of the way the mirror is angled, but I also made a point not to look after he was out ;)  DH has told me the placenta and stuff is super disgusting, plus at that point the baby is up on your chest and you're all omg I have a baby!  
    The babys head/body would block you from seeing any tearing on your perenium the way the mirror is positioned.   
  • Good to know! I don't remember being offered a mirror but I guess I would want to know how far along I am.  I don't think DH saw the placenta come out.  After the baby was out, he didn't care much about what I was doing anymore. :smiley:   I do remember seeing the placenta because it was such a painful process!  It was almost like delivering an alien after the baby.  They just slapped DD on me for a second and took her away because she pooped already and they had to suck out all that from her mouth and nose. 
  • I wouldn't want a picture of it but it wasn't gross in the moment. Baby blocks a lot of the view when it comes out and you aren't looking at the mirror then. DH had no choice but to see the baby being born--things went fast and he had to help hold a leg. He wasn't sure that he wanted to watch but was glad he did.
  • I keep reading people posts mentioning being in the hospital for days. I am a little nervous about this delivery, mostly because my first baby will be staying at home with my mother-in-law, but it was my experience with that baby I felt rushed out of the hospital. I was only there for 24 hours after having the baby. This was a nice birthing center, and we are having baby #2 at the same place if possible, but I'm nervous also about being sent home before I'm physically ready, especially with another baby at home that just barely started walking. I'm also worried about my water breaking in the middle of teaching my 5th grade class. Something tells me the male custodian at our school won't appreciate the mess haha. 
  • I keep reading people posts mentioning being in the hospital for days. I am a little nervous about this delivery, mostly because my first baby will be staying at home with my mother-in-law, but it was my experience with that baby I felt rushed out of the hospital. I was only there for 24 hours after having the baby. This was a nice birthing center, and we are having baby #2 at the same place if possible, but I'm nervous also about being sent home before I'm physically ready, especially with another baby at home that just barely started walking. I'm also worried about my water breaking in the middle of teaching my 5th grade class. Something tells me the male custodian at our school won't appreciate the mess haha. 
    I was offered to go home after 24 hours with my last two babies, but I declined. I had no idea that would be an option and I just didn't have the help setup at home.  Is there any way you can decline?  Talk to your Dr/Midwives ahead of time and see what options you have. 
    As far as the water breaking...I'm not sure what to tell you!  Statistically most waters do not break in a big gush prior to being in labor, BUT there's always the off chance.  Unfortunately I'm not sure there's anything you can do to control it, just keep your fingers crossed and maybe keep an old towel and change of clothes in your room just in case?
  • @Zoyiaperry a lot of it just depends on how labor goes. I had to be induced due to high bp. I went in at 7 pm on the 7th to start the induction. DS was born the 8th at 10:36 pm but I had a hard time delivering the placenta and needed some stitches. I didn't get into my own room until 2:30 am. They wanted us to stay a full 24 hours from then (mostly to check on me) so we left around lunch time on the 10th.

if you labor mostly at home and have a baby early in the morning you should be able to leave the next morning. 
    Birthing centers have a much lower time of "stay" after delivery. 24 hours is long for them, actually, based on the people I know...they were usually out and on their way home within 6-8 hours. Most insurance covers 2 days of hospital stay after vaginal delivery (longer for c-section), and I believe this is what's considered standard at most hospitals. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @cmerribury So the 48 hours for a vaginal delivery thing - is that all post delivery time? Like, if I deliver at 8 am Tuesday, I won't "have" to leave until 8 am Thursday? Even if I labored for like a day before that?

Add this to the list of things that I could ask my doctor but would rather ask my bump ladies lol.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• @flowerpower5838 I'm pretty sure that's what my insurance paperwork said...hang tight, lemme reference it. 
    [insert Jeopardy theme song here]

Here's what *my* insurance covers for either option (hospital or birthing center):

Postpartum care within 48 hours of vaginal delivery and 96 hours of c-section delivery. 

So...looks like, yes, those 48 hours begin after you deliver. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I was in 2 and a half days (C section finished at 10:30 Sunday night, left 10:30 Wednesday morning) and that was enough time! I was woken up every hour the first two nights and every 2 hours the last night. I just needed to get into my own routine.
    I didn't think they'd send me home so quickly because Monday overnight I had some weird body shakes (officially diagnosed as the nurses were late on my meds and it was from pain) but they were violent. I was SOOO happy they did. It was great being back in our own space. We live as close to the hospital as you can get so that could be why they let us leave.
  • I was in the hospital for 3 nights, the first night was at the ICU (complication with delivering the placenta causing my uterus to not contract and constant bleeding for about 2 hours) and 2 nights in mother/baby care.  I was offered to leave after the second night since my condition was stable. I declined it however and my OB was ok with that.  The only thing that the nurse reminded me was to make sure that the baby was discharged at the same time as the mom, and if not, the baby cannot stay in the nursery, which is ok too.  The nurse was just cautious about it in case insurance was going to charge us for extra. In our case, DD was discharged a day before me but just stayed in my room the entire time on the third day. 
  • Hey ladies. This is my first pregnancy and at 33 weeks I started having high blood pressure problems. I was rushed to the emergency room with what I thought was a heart attack due to: dizziness, could barely breath, chest pain, floaters and abdominal pain. Come to find out, it was a severe anxiety attack and my blood pressure was through the roof. My doctor put me on Procardia xl 60mg for blood pressure and to prevent pre-eclampsia. My blood pressure still is not the best here are some examples:
    126/59    hr 63   
    172/84    hr 88    
    178/72    hr 95     
    164/88    hr 88     
    160/78    hr 88      
    175/88    hr 80      
    167/96    hr 91      
    143/73    hr 88     

These have been over the past few days - I was told to keep track of it. Have any of you ladies been induced for numbers like this? I have a sonogram scheduled in 4 days to "check on her and make some decisions" - my doctor said that. My doctor is normally calm, cool and collected but I can tell he's very concerned. He's been calling to check up on me. Just really need advice/stories.
  • Usually the biggest concern is your bottom number which doesn't seem too bad. That being said your top number is high. Have you done a 24 hour urine collection? I had bps of 160/110 and was put on bed rest and medication with my first. They monitored me very carefully, but I wasn't induced until almost a month later when I started to also have protein in my urine and severe headaches. Try not to stress too much since it can make your Bp worse and call your doctor if you have any other symptoms (headache that won't go away, chest pain, severe swelling, vision changes). Good luck! Hope you feel betterz
  • I have read that when your water breaks it's  ot like you see in the movies, it's not like a big gush. For my first. My water did not break I had to have it broken. You will most likely start to feel contractions before your water breaks to give you a chance to get out of there, but who knows. Every one is different :)