June 2016 Moms

Heart Rate=Boy or Girl

Was curious what your baby's heart rate has been? My little one's around 140-150 and I'm 19 weeks as of yesterday. We find out the gender next week. Always heard the higher=girl & lower=boy. How accurate has this been for you all? Thanks ladies!! :)

Re: Heart Rate=Boy or Girl

• Not accurate. Same heart rate for both my babies and two different sexes.
    imageimage
    1st born June 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • My doc told me the baby's heart rate can vary throughout the day depending on if its active or resting.  At one appointment it was higher for me and at the next it was lower, all within the normal range.  Not sure that its a good indicator either way. 
  • I had heard the opposite, but either way it's not really accurate! I was told over 140 boy, under 140 girl, and my first child (girl) was always stubbornly right at 140 so not helpful.
  • It has been accurate for both me and my sister.  Her two girls were both 170-180.  My two boys were 140-150.  I read somewhere (and am too lazy and google to read where) that I think there is a time period where this is accurate - but if I remember correctly, it was right near the end (and you would likely already know from your a/s if you were finding out).

However, I don't think there is any scientific truth to it at this time.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• we just found out yesterday we are having a boy.  His heart rate was 168 at about 15 weeks and was 135 yesterday at 20 weeks.  The dr. told us heart rate has nothing to do with the gender.  It's fun though to listen to everyone's guesses! :)

• Our girl has been running 150's I'm 22 weeks now.
  • My DD was always between 150-170, just found out today I'm having a little boy & his heart rate is usually 130-150.
  • At 20 weeks: DS1 was 150, DS2 was 155, baby girl was 140, so mine didn't follow the old wives tale. As PPs have said it depends on if baby is active or sleeping, just as your Hr varies.

I loved doing a list of the old wives tales for each baby before my anatomy scan. It was fun to do with family and friends, but they're not true predictors.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• At 20 weeks: DS1 was 150, DS2 was 155, baby girl was 140, so mine didn't follow the old wives tale. As PPs have said it depends on if baby is active or sleeping, just as your Hr varies.

I loved doing a list of the old wives tales for each baby before my anatomy scan. It was fun to do with family and friends, but they're not true predictors.

The bolded 100000%. I looked at my ultrasound pics with my mom and husband and we did the Ramzi and nub predictions and all the other ones too but I'm going into my anatomy scan knowing that the gender I think it is has a 50% chance of being wrong and that's okay.
  • My LO's HR is always around 150... So far all I know is I'm having a human :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Mine was 160 which points to a girl. And it was a girl. My OB said that's the most accurate way to guess. Obviously probably not 100% accurate. 140 an below is boy. 140 an above is girl.

Married 6/18/2009

TTC since 10/2010-BFP 12/23/2011

Baby 2.0 BFP 10/16/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mimi_8607mimi_8607 member
    edited January 2016
    CourtJack said:

Oh I have a better one, guys. I've heard, that when you have an anatomy scan, and the u/s tech sees a penis, it's most likely.......a BOY. If she sees no penis, it's often times.......a girl! How accurate has this been for you guys???

:D

It's just a fun way to guess. I don't think anyone says that is set in stone. It passes the time till the gender ultrasound.

Married 6/18/2009

TTC since 10/2010-BFP 12/23/2011

Baby 2.0 BFP 10/16/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My baby's HR has slowed the further along he gets, so when is the range supposed to be accurate at determining the baby's sex? At 9w, it was 174, 13w - 155, 17w - 150, and then at 19w - 139.

I think there are too many factors at play to make this a plausible theory.

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    DH - Low Count/Motility/Morph - Varicocele vein x 2 - surgery (8/11) - success!
    BFP - 10/10/15, EDD - 6/20/16 - It's a BOY!
    Baby #1 - 6/29/16 - Lucas Christopher, 10 lbs 3 oz, 22.25 inches
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017
    BFP - 9/10/17, EDD - 5/26/18 - It's a GIRL! - RCS May 22nd

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• This held true for my first - first daughter was in the 160's. With the twins, they both started in the 160's but by 14 weeks one was in the 140's and one was in the 150's - and we found out one is a girl and one is a boy. I had asked the NP at the time if she believed in the heart rate wives tale and she said it tends to hold true. Just for fun, Im guessing you are having a boy! :) let us know what you find out!
  • My girl was 160s-170s earlier on...now she is consistently 140s. As was I my mom said.
  • Every time we've heard the heartbeat, the heart rate was 150s. We are having a boy. I wouldn't put too much faith in this wives tale. Baby's heart rates can be within a range, just like their growth rate, and it isn't reflective of sex. 

It would be nice if it was though because then we'd all know at the dating ultrasound and be able to start DIY projects a lot sooner and not feel all panicked about finishing them on time! 
  • My baby is a girl and the first few appointments her heart rate was 160 then last time I went it was 140. My midwife said it changes depending on what they are doing at the time same as it works with our heart rates. If she's sleeping it's lower if she is up kicking and bouncing it's higher. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Hope. My sons was crazy fast, my daughters is 140's.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Am I a bad mom because I have no clue what either of my boys' fetal heart rates are/were?  I'm also too lazy to go look it up.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It wasn't true for my babies (3 boys and a girl). I kept a pregnancy journal for each kid, and always recorded the heat rate. I even made a chart, and for me, there was no gender and heart rate correlation.
  • I'm having a boy. The heart rate at 10w was 163 so everyone was like that's a girl!!! Then at my 18w ultrasound it was 139.  My mom who was an OBGYN nurse for 20+ years went "That's a boy heart beat if I've ever heard one" ( she said it in a disappointed voice because she wanted it to be a girl lol). So if you go by the second heart rate, it was accurate. 
  • Sydvicious08Sydvicious08 member
    edited January 2016
    All 4 of mine had the same range...been pregnant with 2 of each
  • I read somewhere that is has nothing to do with gender but at a certain point the babies heartbeat will double what your resting hear rate is . I wear a polar minister when I work out and my heartbeat is always higher then my workout buddies and my baby started at 178, at 6 weeks and was 148 at 18 weeks. She is a little girl :) 
  • vulpini said:
    Am I a bad mom because I have no clue what either of my boys' fetal heart rates are/were?  I'm also too lazy to go look it up.
    Nope, I looked mine up. I have a notes page on my phone for each pregnancy. It was either do that, or get up and wash dishes

• arteduc8 said:
    My doc told me the baby's heart rate can vary throughout the day depending on if its active or resting.  At one appointment it was higher for me and at the next it was lower, all within the normal range.  Not sure that its a good indicator either way. 
    Same! My baby's first heart rate was 154 and then the appt where we found out he was a boy it was 132! I'm with you, I don't think it's an indicator! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm pregnant with a boy and the HR has been 92, 134, 176 and 145.. I don't think it's an indicator as much as it's the normal cycle of pregnancy. They all start off around 90 when the heart starts beating, then slowly increase every day until peaking at 12 weeks I believe but I could be wrong on the exact week, one they peak they slowly start dropping again to a more normal rate for babies (around 110-150)
  • I am pregnant with a boy and his heart rate was 150 at our first sono!
  • I'm having two boys and their heartbeats vary between 140-155 everytime.
  • Around 13 weeks we had a heart rate of 160. My OB said it sounded girly and wanted me to let her know after I found out if she was right because she likes to keep track for fun. She was right, we're having a girl. I don't remember what my son's was. Obviously just a method for fun and nothing to take serious...I've heard of it going both ways. 
  • This is an old wives tale. My baby's HR was 160 and was told thats a sign its a girl. She ended up being right, however there is no concrete scientific evidence that a fast HR is female. 
    ~* Met Husband: July 26, 2009 <3Said Yes: July 26, 2010 <3Married:  September 10, 2011 <3Baby Due: June 17, 2016 *~

• Not accurate.  My first said boy and was a boy. My second was right in the middle and was a boy.  My third said girl and is a boy.  So, weird its accurate half the time, lol.
  • My boys heart rate has been Consistently 150-155.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My DD's was consistently at 155-175. My DS's has been as low as 125 and as high as 185.