December 2015 Moms

Weirdest Place You've Fed Your Baby

I'm currently nursing my LO on a toilet seat in a church at a funeral. It got me thinking, what's the weirdest place you've fed your baby? This one tops the list for me!
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Weirdest Place You've Fed Your Baby

• Mizuiro007Mizuiro007 member
    edited January 2016
    In front of my dad. This has been the hardest for me. He comes over to help most days when hubby is at work and since I didn't want to keep taking DD back to the bedroom to feed her or to go pump for bottles, I learned to push past it and feed her with him there. I'm pretty certain I have zero issue nursing anywhere in public now as long as I can find a spot to get comfy.

I bf in the car a lot when we're out so I can set the heat or a/c to be comfortable, recline my seat back, listen to the radio. Hubby always feels the need to move to the back of the parking lot even though I tell him it's fine. I was out with my mom and she threw a blanket over me as cover. "This way no one can see what you're doing". Feeding my baby?

ETA also at Christmas with everyone right there opening presents and eating food. I was tired of feeling like a leper and DD was cluster feeding.
  • In front of my dad. This has been the hardest for me. He comes over to help most days when hubby is at work and since I didn't want to keep taking DD back to the bedroom to feed her or to go pump for bottles, I learned to push past it and feed her with him there. I'm pretty certain I have zero issue nursing anywhere in public now as long as I can find a spot to get comfy.

I bf in the car a lot when we're out so I can set the heat or a/c to be comfortable, recline my seat back, listen to the radio. Hubby always feels the need to move to the back of the parking lot even though I tell him it's fine. I was out with my mom and she threw a blanket over me as cover. "This way no one can see what you're doing". Feeding my baby?

ETA also at Christmas with everyone right there opening presents and eating food. I was tired of feeling like a leper and DD was cluster feeding.
    This. Exactly this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Probably in a bathroom although I also bf a lot in the car like @Mizuiro007 if I'm going out. I'm too uncomfortable to feed in public even with a blanket or coverup and I don't want to pump just bc I'm going out. I'm using my expressed milk for when I go back to work in a month. 
  • I fed at a brewery last weekend. For the record, I wasn't drinking. :)
  • At a car dealership while signing loan paperwork this weekend.  It was a stressful enough process I didn't need to add a hungry baby to the mix.  

@Knottie16832459 I have totally done that too! 
  • DD has a pretty bad frequent pooper diaper rash right now. We were doing diaper free tummy time tonight, but she got hungry and pissy. So we did our first side laying session on the living room floor. And I didn't get peed or pooped on. Also, we really need to vacuum.
  • I had to feed in the bathroom at a Texas Roadhouse. We were out with my husband's family and I didn't feel comfortable feeding in a booth next to everyone. Plus side was the "mommy" room at church. I could step out during the funeral and nurse in private without having to go in a bathroom or random empty room and risk being walked in on.
  • Not sure what's considered a weird place. I just nurse wherever. I just use a cover 99% of the time. Out shopping, walking around the park, restaurants, in front of relatives, at the doctor's office, at the library. I don't think I would last with breastfeeding if I didn't just bf on demand wherever. I would go crazy!
  • I just figured out how to nurse in the beco so now we nurse everywhere! Walking down the street, at the grocery store, target, etc etc etc - no cover required! 
    love it!
  • @blended10 I really want to practice doing that! Did you figure it out quickly? 
  • Weirdest place for me so far was the backseat of the car in a grocery store parking lot while SO was inside grocery shopping. I have yet to breastfeed out in public. I'm not against it or anything, just SO and I usually time it right to when we're out shopping, at dinner, etc. LO is taking a nap. I do kind of want to though, just to see people's reactions & so I can defend myself and DD (and all breastfeeding mommies!) against people's rude, selfish comments.
  • How do you guys have the coordination to nurse while walking around?? It's a whole production to latch DD half the time, and then she gets upset if I'm not holding my boob up and sometimes she also needs my hand supporting her head. She also nurses 45 min at a time. I haven't nursed her anywhere but my couch or bed :-/ I wish we could get it together so I wouldn't feel so tied down.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • breezypip said:
    How do you guys have the coordination to nurse while walking around?? It's a whole production to latch DD half the time, and then she gets upset if I'm not holding my boob up and sometimes she also needs my hand supporting her head. She also nurses 45 min at a time. I haven't nursed her anywhere but my couch or bed :-/ I wish we could get it together so I wouldn't feel so tied down.
    1) You absolutely need to get a carrier! That's how you can nurse walking around. 2) When I nurse in public I am not necessarily walking around. Many times I am sitting.
  • I might be nursing during a wedding in a few weeks. 
  • @BrookeBrown2015 I have a solly wrap that I might have to practice with. I think I'd be more likely to continue nursing longer if I could be more flexible with where and how I did it. Right now we're just getting the latch working properly, so next up we may need to work on fine tuning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @breezypip so far from my experience the baby makes a huge difference, and you don't necessarily need a carrier unless you want both arms free. Ds was pretty flexible. The only position that didn't work with him was side lying. With him I could get him comfortable in a cradle hold and walk around at home with him in the one arm eating. It was great.

DD isn't so easy. She only sort of tolerates cradle when she isn't given another option (cross cradle a bit better) but really only likes side lying. I honestly don't see her wanting to eat on the move for a while, if ever, and if she doesn't approve of a position she refuses to eat.
  • So I have a "progression" of weird places I've nursed.  Kid #1 I was SO SELF CONSCIOUS I covered, hid in private/secluded locations and basically darted from a room if there were people in it (my husband also made me uncomfortable about it - he was against me nursing in public - and I was also very worried about making *others* uncomfortable with me nursing).  So with her I nursed: in the back seat of the car with blankets in the windows and a nursing cover on; in the bathroom at a PetsMart; in a small chair facing a wall by the entrance to a mall bathroom; in the office/cat litter box room of a coworker's house during a holiday party; any other number of small, dirty, cramped spaces I felt I should be banished to so I could do something "gross" with my daughter.  Kid #2 I stopped caring about my pride and whether or not people cared about me feeding my baby.  Starting at the hospital, I was bare boob feeding unless I was out and about and used a light cover but never left the area I was in.  Now with kid 3 I (for the first time ever) nursed uncovered today in public.  And I just DGAF what people think or say.  I'm feeding a baby and I'm protected by state law in doing so whenever and however I choose to do so.  I don't want to be in people's faces about it but I'm also not apologetic or ashamed about it any more.  

So, my fun place nursing today was in front of the tiger enclosure at the zoo :) 
  • So my me told me a weird one. Not long after I was born my brother’s gerbil had babies. As she was sitting feeding me one day she watched the gerbil eat her babies.
  • Huddle House just a few days ago.
    It was the very first time I truly nursed in public around people I didn't know. A couple of older men glanced my way, but it really wasn't all that awkward. It felt... well, natural. :)
  • edited February 2016
    I'm a little jealous of you all. I wouldn't dare nurse DD in public because she thrashes around too much. I literally fight with her every time because she thinks she knows where my boob is and she is so darn strong. Then she takes swings at the nursing cover. 

Edited because I'm so sleepy.. I have a DD not a DS! 
  • mhuber223 said:
    @blended10 I really want to practice doing that! Did you figure it out quickly? 
    I watched a YouTube video about it & then tried it in the house first. I examined myself in the mirror from all angles & realized I was totally covered! I have the beco Gemini & it's amazing. I also have a coat to go over it so that covers you even more. Yesterday at chuck e cheese I helped my son with his video games & tickets & pizza - all while nursing! Totally amazing! 
    The caviot is this: your son/daughters tolerance to the carrier & ability to nurse sitting up. Probably boob size has a lot to do with it, too. I'm like a dd so not unmanageable but also not small. I just pull my shirt down- not up, and lower dd in the carrier by making it looser.  I suppose if someone were really tall & like right next to you they might get a look but who cares? It's just cleavage at that point. 
  • This is Baby #4 for me. I'm no stranger to nursing in public. However, yesterday I took my 3 year old to story time at the library. They do interactive songs and dances too. Not only did I have to nurse during the "class", but I tried to go to the back to do so but I had to go to the middle of the circle to grab DS as he wasn't following instructions, all while DD was on the boob. I had a nursing cover on, but suddenly I felt like the center of attention when I was originally trying to be inconspicuous. 
  • Universal studios, I nurse everywhere
  • Ok I think @mhuber1031 takes the cake!! I have yet to nurse in the shower! Usually I can get dh to take care of ds while I shower and he just has a bottle of formula. Or my aunt watches him or I shower in the gym while he is in the nursery there.
  • I totally nursed without a cover in a regular pew at church yesterday during the sermon. Fortunately I've seen other moms do it there (seemed kind of scandalous to me when I was pregnant at the time) so I was comfortable that nobody would side eye me. A year ago if you told me I'd be doing that, especially  without a cover, I would have thought you were crazy. I think all the people (including janitors and food staff) seeing me bare chested at the hospital got me over it. 
  • The grocery store near my house has little tree covered pathways and benches in the parking lot, I breast fed there. Then, I went out to lunch with another mom and I breastfed in that restaurant. They had room dividers for events and I sat in the corner near one of those, but I hate using covers for too long. I will use them to prevent a nip slip, but while he is eating I don't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker