September 2015 Moms

Please please please help

I'm at my wits end. Please help if you can. My LO has been spitting up since we started formula at a month old. He's 4.5 now. I've tried everything, medication, different formula, elevation, slow movement, everything! Still so much spitting up. He's gaining weight and peeing normal so the doctors aren't worried... But the constant fussiness and crying and spitting up I can't take it anymore and it's only getting worse. Idk what else to do. 

Re: Please please please help

• What formula is he on? What formulas have you tried? Have you tried gas drops or gripe water? What about Gerber soothe it's expensive but has worked miracles for my friends! I don't want you to have to repeat yourself if you've already tried all of these things... But it's hard to offer advice without specific details. My daughter has had issues and a sensitive stomach spits up ALOT... But I use gripe water when she's really fussy, bicycle her legs, massage tummy, and that usually helps. I don't have any advice on formula because I'm breastfeeding but I've heard that switching formula often can cause tummy issues! Also, avoid soy based formula! 
  • I know with some babies reflux can get worse until around 6 months and then normally starts getting better.  I know when my LO was spitting up alot I was going a little crazy too.  Hang in there mama and hopefully someone will have some advice to help :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told by my ped that spitting up peaks between 4 and 6 months because they are trying to use their tummy muscles to sit up and also because if they are teething and drooling like crazy, swallowing all that saliva can upset their tummies. This has certainly been true with my LO.

And medication doesn't stop reflux, it takes the acidity out of it so it doesn't hurt coming back up. 

I'm not sure what formula you are using, but switching to one with hydrolyzed proteins like Alimentum or Neutramegin may help. Also we have had really good luck with chiropractic care 1-2 times a week. But it might just be the drool and stomach muscles too and you just have to wait it out. Which I know is really tough. 
  • My 3 year old was like this he was lactose intolerant changed his milk what a difference 
  • jlawson23 said:
    What formula is he on? What formulas have you tried? Have you tried gas drops or gripe water? What about Gerber soothe it's expensive but has worked miracles for my friends! I don't want you to have to repeat yourself if you've already tried all of these things... But it's hard to offer advice without specific details. My daughter has had issues and a sensitive stomach spits up ALOT... But I use gripe water when she's really fussy, bicycle her legs, massage tummy, and that usually helps. I don't have any advice on formula because I'm breastfeeding but I've heard that switching formula often can cause tummy issues! Also, avoid soy based formula! 
    Our son was the same way. He has a severe milk allergy. Soy formula is a wonderful for us. He's healthy and happy on similac soy. 
    With all respect- why do you feel people should avoid it? I've not heard anything negative and as my son is on it would like to know- *concerned* 
  • Have you tried hypoallergenic formula? My son was formula intolerant and still growing and gaining but once we tried nutramigen it made a world of difference 
  • jlawson23 said:
    What formula is he on? What formulas have you tried? Have you tried gas drops or gripe water? What about Gerber soothe it's expensive but has worked miracles for my friends! I don't want you to have to repeat yourself if you've already tried all of these things... But it's hard to offer advice without specific details. My daughter has had issues and a sensitive stomach spits up ALOT... But I use gripe water when she's really fussy, bicycle her legs, massage tummy, and that usually helps. I don't have any advice on formula because I'm breastfeeding but I've heard that switching formula often can cause tummy issues! Also, avoid soy based formula! 
    Our son was the same way. He has a severe milk allergy. Soy formula is a wonderful for us. He's healthy and happy on similac soy. 
    With all respect- why do you feel people should avoid it? I've not heard anything negative and as my son is on it would like to know- *concerned* 
    By all means if it works for your family continue! I just have read that sometimes soy can be a culprit for reflux, and tummy issues as well! I meant no harm, if it works for you continue! 
  • Have you tried smaller bottles more frequently? I went down an ounce and it helped quite a bit, but her spitting up wasn't that bad. Good luck! 
  • @missliz53 I think your right about both... He's constantly trying to sit up and I'm positive he's teething.. 
    Hes on similac sentitive.... I tried nutramigen and it was worse then! 
  • @missliz53 I think your right about both... He's constantly trying to sit up and I'm positive he's teething.. 
    Hes on similac sentitive.... I tried nutramigen and it was worse then! 
    My daughter was on Similac sensitive and she was miserable and very pukey. We switched her to Alimentium and have had great luck!
  • Does he eat fast? My little guy downs a bottle in minutes. 6 ounces gone in about 5 minutes. He was spitting so much that at 2 months our pedi told us to add oatmeal cereal to his bottle.It slowed him down a little but also made it thicker and more likely to stay down.  I tablespoon cereal per 2 ounces. It's still a little bit of an issue but normal for some babies. It's not reflux as it doesn't phase him at all.  He is now eating food so I notice when I feed him solids and give a bottle he spits up a lot less often. I also find the advent natural bottles work best for him. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012