February 2016 Moms

Need Reassurance Paternity

Heya ladies... i need my mind put at ease.. I feel like I should be bringing this up with Dr Phil and quite frankly im really embarrassed about the whole thing.. the first day of my last period was the 22nd May.. i had unprotected sex on the 23rd of May when i was on my period (i know) ..with my X.. we broke up.. 2 weeks later on the 6th of June I had sex with my best friend unprotected.. i worked out that i would have ovulated on the 6th of June..and all of my scans are showing the exsact measurements for this date.. indicating that this would have been my conception date .  would i be mad to get paternity tests?? My best friend although we are not an item is really supportive and excited I dont want to taint the whole experience.. 

Re: Need Reassurance Paternity

• Thought as much! Ha x 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard that sperm can really only survive in the body for a max of 5 days...meaning you would've had to ovulate no later than the 28th if you conceived with your ex..and that is possible if you have short cycles. But to me it sounds like it's more likely that you ovulated June 6th, and it was probably your friends sperm that fertilized the egg and then it implanted a few days later. But you never know...the only sure way to tell is a paternity test. I don't think it'd be weird at all to get one to be certain. Good luck mama. I'm sure you'll get it all figured out. 
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• While you could've, in theory, gotten pregnant on your period, it is highly unlikely.. Especially considering the much more favorable timing with your best friend. 

I dont think think you necessarily *need* a paternity test, but if it is going to weigh on your mind until you know for sure, then you might as well get it done and over with. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im honestly so embarrassed by the whole thing.. I thought this type of thing only happened in the movies!! Obviously ive been 100 percent honest with my friend and he's been happy with the scans confirming the dates for him.. but i cant help but freak out..im hoping baby looks so like him that it will be the last thing on my mind! 
  • I would suggest you wait and see. Since your friend/ likely father is aware of this dilemma, you could wait and see what your baby looks like and/ or to see what your baby's blood type is. Your baby's blood type, without going through the DNA test, could rule out your ex as a father. And don't be embarrassed! I don't see anything you should be embarrassed about! 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Thank you so much for this i didnt know paternity could he determined through blood type.. just googled it there..might be a much easier solution x 
  • No need to be embarrassed! It is awesome that your friend is super supportive and understanding; that is hard to find. I would say that if knowing (without a doubt) who the father is is going to weigh on your mind and perhaps drive you mad, then get the paternity test. That's what I would do, even if for no other reason than peace of mind! 
  • I would suggest you wait and see. Since your friend/ likely father is aware of this dilemma, you could wait and see what your baby looks like and/ or to see what your baby's blood type is. Your baby's blood type, without going through the DNA test, could rule out your ex as a father. And don't be embarrassed! I don't see anything you should be embarrassed about! 
    Ditto all this!