September 2016 Moms

No bleeding, no heartbeat yet?

So I had the tiniest itsy bitsy of spotting yesterday, but accompanied by lower back pain and some minor cramping. Since I have had a miscarriage in the past my OB advised us to go to the ER. Well, they did am ultrasound, and I was exactly JUST at my first day of week six yesterday, and they said all they could see is the gestational sac. They said it could just be too early to see anything else, or I could be about to miscarry. Has this ever happened to someone, where all they saw was that on a 6 week ultrasound? I am supposed to wait a whole week until week 7 now to get another ultrasound done, hopefully then we'll hear a heartbeat? I'm so confused.

Re: No bleeding, no heartbeat yet?

• I don't have personal experience but I have seen others post this type of story and then go on to hear the heart beat at 7 weeks. I'm sorry you're stuck in this situation! 
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • I feel like early ultrasounds can cause more anxiety than they relieve.

It is not alarming that you didn't hear a heartbeat. It could be because it's too early, it could be because there is a problem. Waiting a week for another ultrasound is going to be really hard!

good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry yet, 6 weeks is still on the early side I believe.  Are you positive on your dates? You could also have ovulated later than normal.  
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Well my husband and I were using the ClearBlue ovulation detection, with the 4 days high/peak detection. I recall that the first day of my 2 day peak ovulation was January 6th, as shown by the test. But honestly...other than that, we are just hopeless and confused and just want to know what's going on. Thank you for any reassurance.
  • It is quite possible you ovulated later than you think. FX that everything turns out okay!
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• Wouldn't that put you at 5 weeks and change then? Not quite six?
  • I'm pretty sure I ovulated on December 28 and I'm 6 weeks 5 days. I don't think you are as far along as you think. If you ovulate late in your cycle ovulation date is more accurate than LMP
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The first day of my last period was December 19th. Oh ladies...I don't know! I guess I just don't know. Thank you, every single one of you, for responding.
  • Lurking all the way from July, but that could def be too early to hear a heartbeat... Mine you couldn't see/hear until atleast 7 wks 
  • I ovulated 1/8 and I'm only 5w2d.  I wouldn't worry at this point, I think you'll see a heartbeat the next time you go, and I'm really not just saying that to make you feel better! 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Sounds to me like it was just too early. If you ovulated on the 6th, you're only about 5.5 weeks, too early for a hb, and usually too early to see anything except the gestational sack. Ovulation is the true indicator of how far along you are, not LMP. I know it can't be easy, but try to relax and not worry. 

• AlyeenaAlyeena member
    edited January 2016
    You won't like my answer but with my last pregnancy I went in at exactly six weeks too (I know I was because I did IVF) and did not see a heartbeat, then I went back on week seven and then week eight and still no heartbeat, it unfortunately ended in a miscarriage.

But maybe you are not as far along as you think? That is actually very common because unless you do IVF like I did it is very hard to know exactly how far along you are.

I really hope it goes well for you.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016