November 2015 Moms
Options

2 month shots

My baby is getting vaccinations tomorrow. Should I give him Tylenol before? If so how much?

Re: 2 month shots

• Options
    Yes you can, I don't have a bottle in front of me but it should say.
  • Options
    GoogleMDGoogleMD member
    edited January 2016
    They do not give a dosage on thr bottle for less than 2 years. Ask your pedi tomorrow what dose to give.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard that you shouldn't give Tylenol unless really necessary because it reduces the effectiveness of the vaccines.
  • Options
    Yeah definitely talk to pedi; I wouldn't take the dosage via Internet stranger as we don't know the particulars of your LO. So there is a tad of a hot debate within the medical world as to whether or not Tylenol affects the effectiveness of the vaccines. We gave Tylenol after her 2 month vaccines but at her 4 month one we're giving it a half hour before.
  • Options
    My ped said not to give Tylenol before because it can decrease effectiveness of the vaccine, and gave me a dosage chart during the visit according to her weight. I did end up giving her Tylenol that evening because she was so fussy, but I waited until she definitely needed it. If I were you, I would wait for after the appointment, then you'll have the correct dosage and make sure your baby actually needs the Tylenol (some babies don't have discomfort after vaccines).
  • Options
    Here's a dosage chart from a nurse friend of mine.
    I've also been told not to give any before hand.

• Options
    We were advised not to give it to our LO before his vaccines. We are also doing a different vaccination schedule. LO's 2 month shots are split for when he's 2 and 3 months. He barely had a reaction. He was just sore the day of.
  • Options
    One of my friends who had baby #4 shortly after my LO was born just told me all her kiddos had a rough night the 2nd night. LO got his shots yesterday and was fussy all day but slept decently last night. He's gotten pretty fussy this afternoon/evening so it seems like it's the same case for me. He spit out most of the Tylenol I gave him yesterday so I haven't bothered giving him anymore. Not sure how to keep it down.
  • Options
    mrsgabusmrsgabus member
    edited January 2016
    We didn't give beforehand but we're told to go by weight as usual.

I believe we gave her 75mg as she was very cranky that night

• Options
    mine told me we could give it after shots if her temp goes up or she's acting really fussy; she also gave us the dosing. Bebes was super fussy that afternoon so we gave her some, but all it took was the one dose and she was fine the next day. we also did a warm bath that night to help with stiffness in her leg from the tetanus shot. 
  • Options
    We didn't give any Tylenol beforehand. We did, however, give two rounds of Tylenol in the 24 hours following the shots because he seemed to be in pain. A warm bath seemed to help as well. And lots of cuddles, of course! He was back to himself by the next day.
  • Options
    @rachswi try blowing in their face lightly as you shoot it in their mouth.
  • Options

@rachswi try blowing in their face lightly as you shoot it in their mouth.

Lol that made him super angry. But I did lay him down on his changing pad and give him some and he swallowed it all. Guess he just didn't want to be held while having his medicine.
  • Options
    VexedMommyVexedMommy member
    edited January 2016
    rachswi said:
    One of my friends who had baby #4 shortly after my LO was born just told me all her kiddos had a rough night the 2nd night. LO got his shots yesterday and was fussy all day but slept decently last night. He's gotten pretty fussy this afternoon/evening so it seems like it's the same case for me. He spit out most of the Tylenol I gave him yesterday so I haven't bothered giving him anymore. Not sure how to keep it down.
    If you got one of those inexpensive Safety First baby care kits that came with nail clippers, nail files, a hair brush, bulb syringe, and a small bottle you can use the small bottle for the tylenol.  That's the only way Bridget will keep any of her medicine in her mouth.  She likes the tylenol, but can't keep it in when given via syringe. 

ETA:  You could also probably fill a size 0 or slow flow nipple with the correct dosage and hook it up to an empty (or not) bottle and give it that way.  If it's empty, remove the bottle as soon as you can hear LO suck air. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    My pedi said 75mg / 1.25ml. LO is 10lbs 12oz. Do not give them any before hand. Just after if they need it.