C-sections
Options

Incisions

I did a search and there where mentions of incisions under different scenarios but not an actual thread on my question.

I'm scheduled for c-section number 2. And I had not given the insicion part that much thought ,until now, my next MD apt is next week and I want to be prepared to discuss.
My questions to you ladies are if any of you know or would just like to share your experiance:

What is standard procedure ?
Will they automatically just recut the old incision site ?
Make a new one? stick to the type I had (bikini) or go the other route (t shaped) based on thier experience?

I'm nervous , because with scar number 1. I always had the shelf looking raised skin above it . It is not very flattering and I have no clue what it will turn out to look like now.

(Double looking shelf , more prominent shelf )

Re: Incisions

• Options
    On my repeat c-section, they just recut the old scar line. I don't see why any decent, modern doctor wouldn't do the same with you. It certainly wouldn't hurt to voice your concerns and double check with your doctor, though.
    >a>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    All 3 csections cut using the same scar. My shelf went away the first 2 times with exercise but I still have it right now from #3 who is only 3.5 months.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    3 cesareans and each time they cut out the old scar tissue. If the scar itself is keloiding (thick and bumpy) you can ask for steroid tape to reduce it.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

On my repeat c-section, they just recut the old scar line. I don't see why any decent, modern doctor wouldn't do the same with you. It certainly wouldn't hurt to voice your concerns and double check with your doctor, though.

Same for me!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    I know at this point you've had your doctor appointment.  But just to share, I happened to see my OB today for my annual and she was telling me if I did get pregnant again and had another c-section, she cuts right under the existing scar, then cuts out the scar before she stitches back up.  That way you still just have one scar.
  • Options
    My doctor will re-cut my existing incision scar, he said no need to make another and it will heal up just fine.
  • Options
    I had my 2nd c in july, different doc than the one who did my first 18 months earlier but she just cut out my old scar so there is less scar tissue. I think it looks great for being number 2.