Breastfeeding
Options

Nipple Shield

I began using the nipple shield for protection as I had severe fissures due to a lip and tongue tie. Both ties have been corrected and now I am finally healing. The only problem is my LO is now refusing to latch without the shield. She's having adequate wet/dirty diapers, but I still want to wean from the shield because it's annoying and less convenient. Any tips beyond the standard take the shield off halfway through, don't use the shield on the second side etc.? My daughter is having none of it. Although maybe I'm not trying long enough? When she starts whimpering I just put the shield on because I don't want her to associate my breasts with frustration.

Re: Nipple Shield

• Options
    Not much advice be we used a shield for about the first 4 months I tried all the time with out and he just wouldn't take it. Finally one day he was fighting me to nurse and I took it off and tries and he nursed. Next time he was hungry I just offered with out and he did it again. He never used it after that. I was told to try skin to skin a lot and like you said bait and switch once they get started. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm sure you've probably tried this too since you've tried changing it halfway through the feeding, but try squirting a little milk onto/into her mouth or making sure some is on your nipple when you offer it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sure you've probably tried this too since you've tried changing it halfway through the feeding, but try squirting a little milk onto/into her mouth or making sure some is on your nipple when you offer it?

Changing halfway through with expressed milk on my nipple did the trick! Hopefully this isn't a one time freak occurrence. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    Changing halfway through with expressed milk on my nipple did the trick! Hopefully this isn't a one time freak occurrence. Thanks so much!
    Yay!! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Well she latched but kept pulling off and then eventually refused to latch again without the shield but I'll keep trying!
  • Options
    I'm having the same issues and have a consultant coming Monday! Oh the joys..
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:

I'm having the same issues and have a consultant coming Monday! Oh the joys..

Kee us posted! Currently I'm struggling because my girl has decided she hates the nipple shield (at 8 weeks for crying out loud) but won't latch without it.
  • Options
    Same issue here!  He's latched a few times, but nothing consistent and usually doesn't seem to recognize it without the shield.
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Also, did anyone have additional problems if they introduced a bottle or pacifier while still using a shield?
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @kdoak2015 yes please keep us posted!

@Charmndmom we've used a Soothie pacifier since she was a few days old and never had any additional problems until I used the nipple shield for an extended period of time.
  • Options
    Will do ladies, DD takes all of the above(bottle, paci, nipple shield and sometimes she'll latch).
  • Options
    So the LC basically said take the shield away and we haven't used it all day. My nipples are pretty flat so DD struggles a bit to get on but we get it done. I'm going to retire the shield but my supply is still pretty low so I will be continuing to supplement. :( suxks I just need to get my supply up and we are golden.
  • Options
    How did you get LO to latch without it? @kdoak2015
  • Options
    Honestly she latched right away without it, it was basically positioning(I still don't think it's the best latch and I don't want to take it away cold turkey as they suggested) I've noticed since we took it away today she's not getting the best feed. She's extra fussy afterwards and she's only swallowing a bit during the feeds not as much as normal. It's tough.
  • Options
    I used the shield for about a month to 6 weeks and one day just didn't use it. My daughter latched well and we didn't use it again. I think my nipples did the learning.
  • Options
    Anyone else's baby scream at the shield for some feeds? The last few days mainly the evening feeds when I try to put her on she sucks the tip and stops and screams. She screams for about 10 minutes during the 100 attempts and doesn't go on. Sometimes she finally gets it other times I have to offer her a bottle first and then if I offer her the shield after a few sips of the bottle she'll take it. It's causing me so much stress I hate seeing her in that panic state.
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:

Anyone else's baby scream at the shield for some feeds? The last few days mainly the evening feeds when I try to put her on she sucks the tip and stops and screams. She screams for about 10 minutes during the 100 attempts and doesn't go on. Sometimes she finally gets it other times I have to offer her a bottle first and then if I offer her the shield after a few sips of the bottle she'll take it. It's causing me so much stress I hate seeing her in that panic state.

This is what happened to me :( I'm so sorry. My LC said it might have been due to my low supply, which I know you've been struggling with too. I too would have to give her a little bit of a bottle to get her to latch. I kept coaxing her to latch and it just got worse and worse and she became more upset by it over time. I was instructed to pump instead of nurse and after she has eaten and is full to do skin to skin to give her the opportunity to latch with no pressure. My LO actually latched today without the shield. So it really seems to be working!
  • Options
    kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited January 2016

kdoak2015 said:

This is what happened to me :( I'm so sorry. My LC said it might have been due to my low supply, which I know you've been struggling with too. I too would have to give her a little bit of a bottle to get her to latch. I kept coaxing her to latch and it just got worse and worse and she became more upset by it over time. I was instructed to pump instead of nurse and after she has eaten and is full to do skin to skin to give her the opportunity to latch with no pressure. My LO actually latched today without the shield. So it really seems to be working!
    That's awesome that she latched, it's so heartbreaking having her crying at the shield and not being able to calm her. So you aren't using Bfing anymore just pumping? She will latch sometimes but it's such a shallow latch and I know she's not getting much so I put the shield back on. At this point if I make it to 2 months bfing I'll be happy. There are so many days that I want to call it quits.
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:

kdoak2015 said:

That's awesome that she latched, it's so heartbreaking having her crying at the shield and not being able to calm her. So you aren't using Bfing anymore just pumping? She will latch sometimes but it's such a shallow latch and I know she's not getting much so I put the shield back on. At this point if I make it to 2 months bfing I'll be happy. There are so many days that I want to call it quits.
    It's crazy that no one talks about how hard it is to BF. I'm not nursing at all anymore, just pumping and supplementing. She was refusing the breast even with the shield and her suck was so lazy that the pump is actually more effective. I don't judge anyone for quitting. I want to so bad, but DH is bullying me into pumping. If you want to continue I would try pumping and then just letting her hang out near the breast to let her feel comfortable and safe. Even if she just sits there or plays around she'll slowly maybe feel more comfortable and start eating eventually.
  • Options
    Thanks we'll see how the next few days/feeds go. I'm not a fan of pumping and only get 1/2oz even before a feed.
  • Options

I was under the impression that nipple shields were only to be used to get the nipple erect enough for the baby to latch onto otherwise the shield could cause mastitis (sp sorry) because it wasn't getting the nipple coverage needed!! 

Someone please correct me if wrong but that's what they told me to do with my first DD and I ended up just having to pump! I am wanting to BF with #2 DS but I have flat nipples and small ones even when erect (TMI I know) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

• Options
    I was pressured into using a shield at 3 weeks as DD wasn't gaining and have flat nipples. DD is 7 weeks now and although she is still supplemented with formula we BF at every feed with the shield. I don't have mastitis nor have I got it luckily. If you get the right size and your baby is effective at getting your milk out your safe to use it. Some women go 6 months. I personally hate the stupid thing and wish/hope/ and pray to be off of it someday. I worry DD will never latch without it again but im determined to BF her for as long as I can.
  • Options

I was under the impression that nipple shields were only to be used to get the nipple erect enough for the baby to latch onto otherwise the shield could cause mastitis (sp sorry) because it wasn't getting the nipple coverage needed!! 

Someone please correct me if wrong but that's what they told me to do with my first DD and I ended up just having to pump! I am wanting to BF with #2 DS but I have flat nipples and small ones even when erect (TMI I know) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

You can use it for the full feed. I would just try to pump afterwards in case your baby isn't able to empty your breast with the shield. Personally, I would never use the shield again though. I'm convinced it ruined our BF relationship.
  • Options

You can use it for the full feed. I would just try to pump afterwards in case your baby isn't able to empty your breast with the shield. Personally, I would never use the shield again though. I'm convinced it ruined our BF relationship.
    I agree with @doodleoodle although I'm still bfing if brings so many different challenges to the table. I can't really lay down and nurse. When she's fussy she knocks the damn thing off a tone, and I can't imagine using it in public. It's also such a clutch now I can't be bothered to try and latch her.
  • Options
    It took 8 weeks but we are officially off of the shield. It feels amazing to get rid of it and I now have less anxiety about feeding her in public. 
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:
    It took 8 weeks but we are officially off of the shield. It feels amazing to get rid of it and I now have less anxiety about feeding her in public. 
    So happy to hear this!!!!!