February 2016 Moms

You'll just know..

I started having contractions yesterday evening. They became regular, about every 5 minutes, lasting for about 45 seconds to a minute. This went on for about an hour and a half and then a migraine started. As a FTM I don't have a frame of reference so I followed the typical 511 rule and went in. Had a great OB in the er who monitored me for over an hour. She could see the regular contractions. Only problem is I remained 2cm 60% effaced. She said I'm in early labor and would be much more comfortable at home until things progressed. I asked when to come back in aside from water breaking, bleeding, etc.and she said oh you'll know when it's time. I'm sure that instinct is true but am mostly frustrated that contractions could continue like this without progressing dilation. Thankfully she gave me pain meds strong enough to knock out the migraine and will hopefully let me get some sleep. 

Anyone have any experience with early labor? Obviously everyone is different but would love to hear other's experiences. 

Re: You'll just know..

• This happened to me with my first but I was already 4 days past my due date and I just knew I was ready. I wasn't progressing far enough for them to admit me but I was having the regular painful contractions every 5 minutes. So I walked up and down the hospital for what it seemed like hours (this was over 16 years so some of the details are foggy) but eventually I had progressed far enough for them to admit me. There was no way I was leaving because i "knew" he was coming. I arrived at hospital around 8 am and finally gave birth at 7:45 pm.

Not sure if your contractions continued or died down which is why she felt comfortable with you leaving? But with both my boys I was barely dilated or effaced when I got to hospital (water broke w second) and I still gave birth within 24 hours for both (had to eventually be induced for 2nd bc I wasn't progressing.) I personally would be nervous about leaving if I was still having those painful regular contractions that close together but that's just me.
  • This happened to me with my first one and it went on for 4 days. It was torture. I tried EVERYTHING to make it progresses but it didn't. My advice is just try your best to relax and rest. It will pick up when baby is really ready to come out. I spent 4 days exhausting myself trying to make her come only to be so worn out that I had to get a shot in my bum to sleep. 

Best at of luck to you, Mama. Just try to relax as much as possible. 
  • Loading the player...
  • SgtLou2SgtLou2 member
    edited January 2016
    This happened to me with my first.  I was 511, and having back contractions, but not horribly uncomfortable. I showed up at still 70% and 2cm (my status for almost 4 weeks). Since I was past my due date they said I had a few options: I could induce since I was already there (no thank you, I preferred to avoid this if possible), I could walk around the hospital and see if I progressed (it was in the middle of the night and I was tired), or I could go home and come back when the contractions were stronger.  Option 3 it was.  We went home and slept.  When we woke the next morning, I was still having contractions but not unbearable, so DH and I showered, I did my hair & makeup and we went breakfast.  We debated going to a movie too, but chose to go home and take a nap.  At 2:30 that afternoon I woke from my nap with contractions that stopped me everytime they came on (I had to grab onto something and bend and breathe...I could not talk or move while they were happening).  That's when we went to the hospital. I was only 4cm, but that was enough to admit me.  I delivered at 1:30am the next morning (a 30 hr labor).  Honestly, it wasn't that bad (in hindsight).  I would prefer to have the longer labor than a 4 hour, rushed, stressful, blurred labor :). Good luck!

edit: fat fingered typos and clarifications
  • Thanks ladies! I'm still having similar contractions this morning. Trying to get as much sleep as I can.  Hopefully things will start to progress but of course that could take days! Patience is hard when you're ready for baby to be here!! 
  • Yes! I had a similar experience yesterday but I didn't go in because they started fading off. My water broke before I ever had contractions with my other kids, so that was easy. This time was a bit more confusing. Sounds like you did the right thing. As far as "you'll just know," I hope that's true.

• Yes I've been like this since Tues night. My mucous plug has been falling out little by little. I started getting strong menstrual like cramps and back pain. They are not rythmatic but I pray that they will start. It's awful and I can't  sit for long periods of time bc of the pressure.  The cramping comes and goes... I've been having pinkish discharge too. My edd is 2-4-16. I really hope this baby comes sooner. I can't take much more. I went to the doctor Friday for my regular weekly appointment. She stated I was not too thinned out but my cervix was 1 to 2 cm dilated.  I'm just trying to stay positive and comfortable and walk as much as possible for this baby girl to come out. 
  • I am a STM and have been to the hospital and sent home this time for regular contractions that just ended up fading out and not dialing my cervix. I felt a little silly ( like shouldn't I remember what labor feels like) but the nurses reminded me better to be safe than sorry. It is true that real labor contractions will become more painful and regular and I think it is true that you will know when your in actual labor. But figuring out early labor and seeing if things are progressing is tricky!
  • We went in with DD and were sent home because i was still too early in labor, tho my contractions were close together. Forgot what i was dilated to at that point...i think 3cm. I returned 7 hours later, was monitored for 2 in triage, then finally admitted. Didnt have the baby for another 12 hours after that.

Everyone labors differently, but they told me to come back when i dont want to talk to anyone during a contraction. 

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • I've had bad/frequent BHs for many weeks now and have had several nights where they've gotten more intense, timeable, had to focus on breathing, etc. They've always gone back to their "normal" frequency by morning. No advice on the early labor, but just sympathizing on how annoying/obnoxious they can be and how they get in the way of things!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes! This exact thing happened to me on Friday!  I even waited several hours to make sure they were 511 and when I went in they could see i was contracting a lot but it didn't change my cervix so they sent me home! They contractions didn't die down until yesterday late morning! Super frustrating.  I'm a TTM and my second daughter went so quickly it makes me nervous I will have this one at home!
  • It's so crazy how different everyone is! I'm still, almost 24 hours later, having contractions that are 5 minutes apart and would love for things just to progress. Its mentally and physically exhausting. Hopefully the doctor will have good news for me at my appointment tomorrow. Good luck to all of you ladies as the time gets closer!
  • Adyer7 said:
    It's so crazy how different everyone is! I'm still, almost 24 hours later, having contractions that are 5 minutes apart and would love for things just to progress. Its mentally and physically exhausting. Hopefully the doctor will have good news for me at my appointment tomorrow. Good luck to all of you ladies as the time gets closer!
    I'm right there with you.  Mine have not died down just have gotten more painful and intense.  Up right now bc I cannot sleep bc the cramps keep waking me up. Comes in waves all day and night long. Feeling frustrated and exhausted.  They hurt so bad!
  • Yikes. And then there's me, often unable to tell the difference between a BH contraction and the baby moving around a little too forcefully. (Yes, really.)
  • Katty422 said:
    Adyer7 said:
    It's so crazy how different everyone is! I'm still, almost 24 hours later, having contractions that are 5 minutes apart and would love for things just to progress. Its mentally and physically exhausting. Hopefully the doctor will have good news for me at my appointment tomorrow. Good luck to all of you ladies as the time gets closer!
    I'm right there with you.  Mine have not died down just have gotten more painful and intense.  Up right now bc I cannot sleep bc the cramps keep waking me up. Comes in waves all day and night long. Feeling frustrated and exhausted.  They hurt so bad!
    Same here! I've been up all night. Would love to get some rest through this but it's just not happening!  
  • Adyer7 said:
    Katty422 said:
    Adyer7 said:
    Same here! I've been up all night. Would love to get some rest through this but it's just not happening!  
    When is your EDD? Just curious if it is close.  I was so scared of labor and delivery and note I am welcoming.  Im due 2,4,16. This was just plain in heard of to me, early labor for days... hopefully you will get some good news at your doctor's appointment. Try a hot shower.  I did that last night and it really relaxes you and breathe!
  • =caenis= said:
    Yikes. And then there's me, often unable to tell the difference between a BH contraction and the baby moving around a little too forcefully. (Yes, really.)

I have trouble with this too.  Don't worry; you're not alone :)
  • =caenis= said:
    Yikes. And then there's me, often unable to tell the difference between a BH contraction and the baby moving around a little too forcefully. (Yes, really.)

I have trouble with this too.  Don't worry; you're not alone :)
    Me too. Sometimes him moving too forcefully causes a contraction.

I've been having such strong BH that I'm worried I'll not recognize real contractions and end up having baby in the car.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm in the same exact place now... My contractions have been 4 minutes apart for the past 48 hours but I'm only 3&1/2 cm and 70% effaced so they won't keep me. Luckily my induction is set for Friday but it's so frustrating because I'm in so much pain and barely sleeping from the contractions:( ugh I just keep telling myself it'll all be over soon and the outcome is worth it
  • Ugh. I know it's frustrating, but honestly (and I hate to say this) this could actually last for a long time. :/ Prodromal labor is a real thing, and honestly happens to a lot more women than we think! 

If you're wanting to possibly help things progress, go on a good long walk. Gently bounce on a yoga ball. Give your house a good cleaning. I know it sucks, so hang in there! 
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom