September 2015 Moms

Really sick - need meds!

Hello!

I am EBF but I am really sick and have been for almost a week. I'm sure I need a z pack but I've been reluctant to take meds because I am EBF. I have a huge freezer supply, and could feed LO off that for a week easily but I'm still nervous. If I take the z pack or other meds, but give LO frozen milk - will my supply be effected? LO goes to the doctor Monday because she's sick too - but I just thought I'd get your advice until then... Monday seems so far away!

thanks mommas!

Re: Really sick - need meds!

• Just pump And dump to keep your supply up :)
  • Thanks - I wasn't sure if the reason not to take medicines while EBF is because it dries up your milk supply or just because it gets passed to the baby. I know it would get passed to the baby (hence the freezer stash) but wasn't sure about drying up ... 
  • Loading the player...
  • My md said z pack is fine while bf so we gave my lo my milk whole time while I was on z pack. Mucinex regular robitussin and motrin are all safe as well
  • You'll dry up from decongestants so nothing with d or dm on name
  • Please do not pump and dump!!!! No need to! A Z-pack is fine to take while nursing. I just finished one! Download the mommy meds or lactmed if you want to confirm. Azithromycin is often given to infants and children to treat infections! Just please don't pump and dump! I hope you feel better 
  • As long as the antibiotic is compatible with breastfeeding, pumping and dumping isn't necessary. LO will get antibodies from your milk when you BF while you're sick. If you do decide to continue breastfeeding while on the antibiotic, just be mindful of thrush...might want to look into taking a probiotic. Sending get well wishes to you both! 
  • I was given the z-pack for pneumonia while breastfeeding and baby did just fine. This antibiotic is considered safe to take while breastfeeding.