December 2015 Moms

Head control

Just checking in with your babies and how they are doing with head control. DD is almost 9 weeks and has fairly decent head control when she's being held, she still doesn't do much during tummy time but when she's on our chest she holds it fairly well. 

Re: Head control

• My son HATES tummy time on the ground/bed. He cries so much that I just do it on my chest. I feel this is best and less traumatizing. He is 6 weeks and can lift and hold his head for a minute on my chest! I've been wondering the same thing if this is good for his age. 
  • DD also prefers to do tummy time on my chest.  She doesn't cry doing it on the ground,  she just doesn't do anything.  Today she literally fell asleep on her tummy time mat. 

On my chest,  she'll lift her head for a few seconds or turn it to look around. 
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is 7 weeks and has what I think is great head control. She can sit in the bumbo for periods of time and when we hold her under her arms in a sitting or standing position she holds her head up as well as when she's being burped. 
    She rarely gets traditional tummy time- she's usually held in the positions I mentioned or in the moby where she also gets practice holding her head up. 
    When she gets tired she does go a little floppy so I have to keep an eye on it. Traditional tummy time was frustrating for her because I think it's a little harder so now that she has more strength (and can stand to be put down again) we'll probably do a little more of it.
  • taysun said:
    DD is 7 weeks and has what I think is great head control. She can sit in the bumbo for periods of time and when we hold her under her arms in a sitting or standing position she holds her head up as well as when she's being burped. 
    She rarely gets traditional tummy time- she's usually held in the positions I mentioned or in the moby where she also gets practice holding her head up. 
    When she gets tired she does go a little floppy so I have to keep an eye on it. Traditional tummy time was frustrating for her because I think it's a little harder so now that she has more strength (and can stand to be put down again) we'll probably do a little more of it.
    Already in the bumbo that's awesome 
  • DD is doing great with head control, but hates tummy time. I have a strap holder that allows the head to be free and she will look around in it and is already pushing herself up when I hold her on my chest, it's amazing how strong she is sometimes! She's 6 weeks 3days 
  • Jackson's had pretty good head control all along (this is his 1 week photo). He is 6 1/2 weeks now and turns his head to watch us or the dogs, he will also look up at the lights. He absolutely HATES tummy time. I keep trying but I don't know if he will ever like tummy time. I have not tried a bumbo yet @taysun when did you introduce your LO to it? 
  • DD is 7 weeks and head control is still a little shaky, especially when she's tired, but overall pretty good. Today during tummy time she had her head up and was looking around, then all of the sudden she rolled over onto her back. It must have startled her because she started crying. 

She usually only tolerates a couple of minutes of tummy time, but she loves to be held in a standing position and looking around and I think that's when she gets the most practice with head control.
  • @amye02 I only tried it two days ago at 7 weeks 2 days. I wasn't sure she was at the point to use it but I know someone who's baby was in it around 2 months so because DD has pretty good strength I gave it a go. We only do short stretches right now. It helps that she's short so her neck is somewhat supported in the back by it. 
  • uh oh.. i think Olive is behind a bit. She can lift her head up but i can tell it feels heavy and it rolls around a lot still. 
  • I feel like a slacker reading these head control and milestone posts. I'm a teacher of preschoolers with special needs and I think I must be boycotting all things developmental and educational while on maternity leave!! Baby Boy doesn't particularly like either of his tummy time mats but he'll tolerate them for about a minute now. Like many of your LOs he works his muscles while enjoying chest time with whomever is holding him. I also occasionally place him belly down on the bed and squat/kneel so he has to raise his head to see me. At his One Month Wellbaby the pediatrician approved our work and said the kid's doing fine. I guess I do need to get on the ball, though. Thanks for the Bumbo reminder, @taysun. (My tag didn't work. #ThanksMobile) 
  • I feel like a slacker reading these head control and milestone posts. I'm a teacher of preschoolers with special needs and I think I must be boycotting all things developmental and educational while on maternity leave!! Baby Boy doesn't particularly like either of his tummy time mats but he'll tolerate them for about a minute now. Like many of your LOs he works his muscles while enjoying chest time with whomever is holding him. I also occasionally place him belly down on the bed and squat/kneel so he has to raise his head to see me. At his One Month Wellbaby the pediatrician approved our work and said the kid's doing fine. I guess I do need to get on the ball, though. Thanks for the Bumbo reminder, @taysun. (My tag didn't work. #ThanksMobile) 
    this makes me feel better..
  • We're in this together, @groovylocks
  • @DandT2point0 I like how you put baby on the bed! Good idea!
  • We do tummy time on the couch or the bed because I am always worried about her smashing her little face. My daughter is 4 weeks and she can lift her head pretty high, but doesn't have a ton of control and it doesn't last long. We try to practice every day, but some days it doesn't happen. Like all developmental stuff there is a range of normal so we shouldn't worry if our babies are a little behind. 
  • I just tried tummy time on the floor first time since around 4 weeks... She gets tons of belly to belly time everyday and to my surprise I couldn't keep her on her belly! She keeps rolling to her back.. Guys belly to belly is what's best for us lol
  • We don't do tummy time because no one likes it.  Little Man has great head and neck control but I think it's genetic - he and his sisters were able to hold their heads up for a bit at a few hours old and according to my mom I did the same thing (and scared the bejesus out of the nurse in the room when I did it).  Now, at a little over eight weeks, he needs zero support if being held upright or on his belly in my arms.  

There is such an incredibly wide range of normal for this milestone that I wouldn't fret too much, @groovylocks.  I always feel like other people's babies are horrifyingly floppy when I hold them but when I mentioned this to my pediatrician he said my kids are just freaks of nature and that most babies are floppy until three to four months (I was worried my littles were too stiff/rigid - can't win for losing as a mom, you always worry)
  • We've had good neck control right off the hop, she loves tummy time and now will push off of me with her arms every time I hold her. Aren't they supposed to wait to start trying to be independent?? ;)
    We put her in the bumbo at 6.5 weeks just to try, it supports her neck a little in the back and I keep an eye on her but she really likes it.
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker