April 2016 Moms

Hubby scared to catch

My DH and I agreed that he would catch the baby when I deliver, but he is getting more and more scared of dropping LO as the day gets closer.  We've discussed that he doesn't have to, but he really wants to if he can.  However, this fear is getting debilitating.  Do any of you or your partners have insight to share with him (he does read all my stuff on here and will be following this thread, I'm sure.
Jana Lynn
 Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18

Re: Hubby scared to catch

• I don't have any experience as I am a FTM, but maybe the Dr or one of the nurses can assist him if he's afraid of dropping the baby.  I'm pretty sure someone would be close by just in case they need to jump in anyway.  Tell him don't be scared, he's got this! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband caught our third baby. We weren't planning on it, but when it was time for her to come out, the doctor told my husband to let go of my leg and come towards him. Being caught off gaurd, he did what was asked of him and ended up helping deliver her. Honestly, it was a really cool moment that we both still talk about. My suggestion is to go with the flow. Let the doctor know that your husband would like to catch the baby if possible and then just go from there. If it happens, awesome...if not, no biggie. Good luck!
  • If it's a fear originating from not having any training or experience, when I m got my EMT-basic license, we were told that literally all you do is catch. You don't guide, you don't make extra room; you stand there, put your hands out, and let mom push baby into your hands. 
  • I would maybe let your husband talk to your ob about it at one of your upcoming appts and express his concerns to them. They may be able to give you both the reassurance you need either way. Honestly, I don't think catching the baby is for every dad. They can put a lot of pressure on themselves and instead of enjoying the birth may just be freaking out the whole time about their impending task. And I do think there is a big difference between holding baby for the first time and catching them. The baby is really slippery when it comes out and dropping is a legit concern. Heck, doctors can drop a baby (although very uncommon). If he wants to do it I think that's awesome, but I wouldn't push it.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I never even thought about this. My SO wants to cut the cord but it never occurred to either of us that catching him would be an option! My doctor only does scheduled C-sections now so I will be delivered by one of the 3 OBs at my hospital. I have a hospital tour in 2/7 and I now plan to ask my SO if he would want to and L&D if they allow it!
  • My fiancé has less than zero interest in catching the baby or cutting the cord. He's worried about the way the placenta smells, and mentions it quite frequently. Apparently two of his friends have made a big deal about how stressful labor is and told him that the cherry of it all is how horrible the room smells after the placenta is delivered. He told me this and my reaction was a mix between raised eyebrows and you've got to be kidding me.

Doesnt bother me that he doesn't want to do either of those things though. As far as I'm concerned, his job is to be my partner and "love" me through this experience. Dr is going to handle that end of it, and we all have our parts to play. (Guess what my job is! Lol)
  • DH was pretty concerned about cutting the cord with Dd but was pretty excited to do so after the dr pretty much made him.  It's something he talks about all the time and is looking forward to this time around.

Catching, well I understand being nervous and it's an option I know DH will pass on.
  • This is my favorite thread in a while--great feedback, ladies! I think DH and I might talk this weekend about the possibility of him catching. Good to know there are others here who've done it or are hoping to do it this go-round.
  • I'm kind of surprised that if you deliver in a traditional hospital setting that they would allow anybody else to catch - liability and all. On the flip side, I honestly would not particularly *want* DH to in the first place, so I'm glad it's never been a topic of discussion in our house. :#   
  • My fiancé has less than zero interest in catching the baby or cutting the cord. He's worried about the way the placenta smells, and mentions it quite frequently. Apparently two of his friends have made a big deal about how stressful labor is and told him that the cherry of it all is how horrible the room smells after the placenta is delivered. He told me this and my reaction was a mix between raised eyebrows and you've got to be kidding me.

Doesnt bother me that he doesn't want to do either of those things though. As far as I'm concerned, his job is to be my partner and "love" me through this experience. Dr is going to handle that end of it, and we all have our parts to play. (Guess what my job is! Lol)
    Apologies for my frankness, but isn't it pretty much a guarantee that, at some point, we will sh!t ourselves?  I'm more worried about the smell of THAT. I didn't even know the placenta smelled! Off to google!!
  • emgee27 said:
    My fiancé has less than zero interest in catching the baby or cutting the cord. He's worried about the way the placenta smells, and mentions it quite frequently. Apparently two of his friends have made a big deal about how stressful labor is and told him that the cherry of it all is how horrible the room smells after the placenta is delivered. He told me this and my reaction was a mix between raised eyebrows and you've got to be kidding me.

Apologies for my frankness, but isn't it pretty much a guarantee that, at some point, we will sh!t ourselves?  I'm more worried about the smell of THAT. I didn't even know the placenta smelled! Off to google!!
    I don't think EVERYONE does, but it is a possibility, yeah. Not one that I've shared with him, mind you ;)
  • My husband and I had sincere talks when our daughter was born about the possibility of him fainting and not being able to be in the room. He hates body fluids and is a germaphobe, and he was scared he would pass out and make a big scene. We agree that if he needed to leave, it was fine, and our plan was that he was going to stand at the head of the bed with his back to the action so he could be there but not really see anything (except me screaming! :D). Turns out he was right in the action and wanted to touch our daughter's head as she came out, and cut the umbilical cord and everything. 

My advice is that you don't force him to do anything, but in the end he will probably want to anyway.
  • Most likely, the doc will stop you from pushing when baby's head comes out, so it's not like baby will come shooting out (unless it's like my 2nd VBAC without an epi, and I couldn't stop pushing when he asked me to). DH had to catch ours because my OB wasn't even gloved, as it took only 2 pushes. He was planning on catching anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband has a deep dislike for blood to the point of a phobia. I've seen him go pale at the sight of a cut finger. So he will be staying at my head and supporting me from there. Some people have tried to convince him of how he doesn't want to miss this but I tell them to stop that talk immediately. He will still be her father if he doesn't see her come out. 
  • I didn't realize this was something to even worry about? Haha I figure as long as the baby is "caught," I'm okay with it. :)
  • mojomama6mojomama6 member
    edited February 2016
    Qbf, but to those asking about pooping ourselves, it's definitely not a guarantee. It didn't happen to me until my fifth baby. Ymmv. 
  • edited February 2016
    mojomama6 said:
    Qbf, but to those asking about pooping ourselves, it's definitely not a guarantee. It didn't happen to me until my fifth baby. Ymmv. 
    My first VBAC practically produced more pounds of poop than my ~9 lb baby. There was significantly less was my 2nd, which correlated with the length of the pushing phase.