1st Trimester
Options

Hypothyroid issues?

jbal918jbal918 member
edited January 2016 in 1st Trimester
Hi! So I just found out I'm pregnant! My reproductive endocrinologist called me today and said my hcg went up from Monday but my thyroid level is too high. Has anyone else had this? He's putting me on medication starting tomorrow but I'm terrified right now! This is our first pregnancy so I'm not sure what to think! Thanks in advance!

*edited bc it's hypothyroidism I has hyper written 
DS born 2016

Re: Hypothyroid issues?

• Options
    Hypothyroidism is not something you want while pregnant so it's awesome that he's treating you right away! Don't be scared, medication is just a synthetic form of the same hormone your body is not producing and it's beneficial to take while pregnant if you're hypo. Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to lower IQ levels in babies and even miscarriage so consider yourself lucky that you found out right away. Just take your meds as indicated and everything should be fine. I'm hypothyroid as well and I just take my meds and get my levels checked by the OB.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had hypothyroidism during my last pregnancy. I took my meds for it and everything was peachy. If anything, it's more dangerous to avoid treating any thyroid issues, than to take your prescription for it. Plus once I started my medication, I felt 100x better. My exhaustion wend back to normal pregnancy fatigue, is stopped losing so much hair, and I noticed I had a lot more energy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been hypo since I was a teenager. At my last endo visit over the summer I mentioned we would TTC soon and he advised me to call him as soon as I got a positive test so he could check my levels. I went in shortly after finding out and sure enough, my levels had gone up (indicating lower thyroid functioning). I was still in the normal range but he increased my synthroid dosage and will monitor levels through the pregnancy. Nothing to worry about, just make sure you take the synthroid and have your doctor monitor your levels. 
  • Options
    My RE started me on synthroid after an RPL panel noted elevated thyroid antibodies prior to pregnancy. I take it every day and get blood tests every 2-3 months and haven't had to have my dose adjusted.  I'm supposed to take it until delivery and then see if my primary doc thinks I still need to take it or not. It hasn't been a big issue for me and baby is good so far (23 weeks). 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    I use to be hyperthyroid but found out around 10 weeks I was hypo. I was not on any meds at the time because I was normal prior to pregnancy. My levels were high but not by much. The doctor said it wasn't enough to cause harm to the baby. Started taking meds and was regulated two months later. Everything has been good since in the thyroid department. They also checked my antibody levels then and will check again in a few weeks. I am almost 28 weeks.
  • Options
    You ladies have calmed me so much! Thank you! My levels were normal before pregnancy but my RE checked anyways because I was born with a abcess on my thyroid, my aunt had hers taken out bc of cancer and my cousin on my Moms side also has hypothyroidism. I'm just at 4 weeks, 2 days so I'm just praying all goes well!
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    I had 3 pregnancies with undiagnosed hypothyroidism.  Had a difficult time TTC. but now that I am treated it only took a few months to concieve. I am more scared than ever about losing this baby, even after having 3healthy pregnancies.
  • Options
    I have hypo and am on medication and have been for 7 years. As long as your doctor monitors your levels and you take the medication as prescribed you should be okay
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• Options
    rhardy83 said:
    I had 3 pregnancies with undiagnosed hypothyroidism.  Had a difficult time TTC. but now that I am treated it only took a few months to concieve. I am more scared than ever about losing this baby, even after having 3healthy pregnancies.
    I'm definitely scared as well but we have to try and stay calm positive! Definitely easier said than done!
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    Don't be terrified!  Hypothyroid is really easy to deal with and it's great that it was noticed right away!  Your Dr. will put you on a hormone replacement pill and you'll probably have to get blood tests taken fairly frequently to make sure the dose is right and everything is leveling out, but it's just one pill a day and you should be good to go!
  • Options
    I started the Synthroid this morning and then Wednesday I go back for blood work and a 5 week ultrasound at my RE's office.
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    I'm on it with every pregnancy!  Good thing your doctor checked and is treating you! 
  • Options
    It seems more common than I thought! Still
    not an ideal thing but definitely makes it seem not as bad as I thought!
    DS born 2016