October 2016 Moms
Options

Going Out/Parties

Hey Everyone,

So I was just wondering if anyone else is in this circumstance. I have a birthday party to go to this Saturday, there will be drinks, obviously I will not be drinking but I do not want to make it noticeable that I am not. Maybe I should of prefaced this by saying I do generally tend to have one or two drinks at parties so stopping cold turkey might send up a flag for people since no one (not even family) knew we were TTC. Any ideas on excuses I can give if someone asks? The people that are going to be there are very blunt and have been waiting for me and DH to have a kid so I am sure they will ask the "Are you pregnant?!?" questions which really pisses me off and is my biggest pet peeve. Any suggestions? TIA!
Married: June 2011
TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
TTCAL: June 2016
BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Going Out/Parties

• Options
    Well, I probably don't know what I'm talking about (in fact, I know I don't) but in just what I've read the baby doesn't share your blood supply until 8 weeks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that! If that is true then technically you could have A drink until you're 8 weeks. I'm in a similar boat for dinner parties, etc. DH and I going to wine festivals all around the area and many are asking where we've been. HAHA. So, if what I read is true, have one drink. 

OR, you could have one in your hand, pretend, and then throw it out! HA. If you need another excuse, you could just say you're not feeling well...that usually shuts people up, in my experience. Personally, I would just tell them I'm not feeling well. :smile: 
    Married 3 years
    Me-34 DH-44
    EDD 10/1/16

• Options
    Tonic with lime, coke with lime, sprite with lemon. They all look like gin/vodka tonics, or rum and coke. Cranberry and seltzer with lime also looks like a drink. You can also just say you're designated driver or just not feeling well.

Once I quit drinking for a stretch because I was drinking too much, and EVERYONE asked me if I was pregnant. I simply said, "No, I just needed to take a break for a while." I'm not sure if they believed me, but they stopped asking.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just lie and say you're taking antibiotics :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggest guys! The designated driver won't work because they live down the block we walk there! I might try one of those other suggestions and just hope no one notices it's not a real drink! If not I'll hold a beer or something and pretend to drink it and slowly empty as I got to the bathroom! Such a shame that this is something you need to worry about!
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
  • Options
    I have a couple of events coming up and I plan on just holding a glass of wine and fake drinking from it.  I really doubt anyone will be paying that close attention. We're hosting friends for the Super Bowl and I plan on putting sparkling grape juice or cider in a wine glass.  
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    You could always say to those nosey people that you've made a new year's resolution to stop drinking.
    Or that you're hungover already. That one usually works pretty well!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat.  We have a birthday party on Saturday at a nice restaurant.  There are about 10 of us meeting so I plan on just having us get there way before everyone else so I can tell our server that I'm pregnant, but need mocktails because it's too early to announce it.  I'm plan on asking him to bring me a cranberry and water with lime in a martini glass when I order a cosmo.  My friends would def suspect something if I didn't order a drink.  Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge

• Options
    I'm having this problem because today is my birthday.  I broke down and told my close friends the situation and they plan to help me disguise the fact that I'm not drinking.  Cranberry juice in a wineglass will be my drink of choice for the evening.  
  • Options
    I don't ALWAYS drink at parties...I sometimes do. Usually, My headaches (I suffer from migraine syndrome) are my excuse, so I will probably keep going with that until I announce. I find it getting harder and harder not to tell people though. I had to step out of work the yesterday to call and cancel my massage membership (my sister-in-law told me that you can't have full, deep massages while pregnant because it can induce labor? She is a nurse, so I'm hoping she isn't just making it up), and tell them the reason why!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @MrsHudson2014 you can definitely have massages. You just tell them you're pregnant and they stay away from trigger areas. Some LMT specialize in prenatal massages. Last pregnancy I got two a month and it was definitely needed. And my DS was 9 days late...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have wine/liquor events for work multiple times a week. I had a mc in October so I'm really paranoid. At tonight event I'm going to get wine and pour it in the toliet when I go to the restroom and do it again... At the event Tuesday I may have a couple sips, my friends will be at the one and I won't be able to sneak it as easy. If I can pull this week off I won't have another event until the following week. That would put me at 7 weeks. I totally understand your situation. I turned down a happy hour and didn't taste at a wine tasting this week. With my work I'm surrounded by booze!
  • Options
    I'm going to a party tonight. I'm just going to tell everyone that 1) I'm driving and 2) I made it my New Year's resolution to not drink for the month of January because I spent too much time drowning my sorrows in booze in December.

And that's mostly true, so hopefully they buy that!

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    Ugh. I just realized I have a bridal shower and bachelorette party to attend at week 10. Too early to tell anyone why I'm not drinking... plus I don't want to steal the bride's thunder. Fortunately, it's a bunch of people I haven't seen since high school, so maybe I'll just tell them I quit drinking.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I'm definitely telling everyone that DH and I decided to stop drinking for two months as part of a weight loss challenge. We've done this in the past (for real) and everyone was super supportive of it. It's an easy out for drinking! 
  • Options
    From previous situations when I wasn't drinking for medical reasons, but didn't want to go into it, I just say I'm not feeling it that day. The people I interact with generally just take that at face value. Really, I find that the less you say, the better. If someone absolutely snoopy comes along, I intend to say something vague about an uneasy stomach. People change the subject really fast when it starts heading in a gastrointestinal direction.
    TTGP August Siggy Challenge: Best Movie Insults
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)