April 2016 Moms
Options

allowed to paint?

Hi gals! So I was restricted from painting in baby's room last weekend which was understandable. Now I am planning to restore and paint an old dresser into a changing station. Question is- if we move the furniture outside can I help paint it? It would obviously be well ventilated, and I promise not to sniff/huff paint fumes...

Re: allowed to paint?

• Options
    Jules08Jules08 member
    edited January 2016
    What was the reason you were restricted?  The majority of paint options are no/ low VOC these days ...
  • Options
    The doctor restricted you? I painted a closet about two weeks ago and was fine. But I've never been restricted so I dunno.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I paint all the time pregnant. Rooms, trim, furniture, etc.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Options
    I think you're fine if you go outside to do it. You can also use a face mask if you're very concerned, or use a pregnancy-safe milk paint (they're awesome anyway and you don't have to sand or use primer).
  • Options
    Well now I'm embarrassed. My husband, MIL, coworkers and many more people causually mentioned that I should not paint. I just took them for their word since I'd heard enough people say it. Generally I would seek out my own answers, but this time I didn't. Oops. I know better next time!

Looks like I will be painting this weekend after all! :smiley:
  • Options
    I mean, I personally opted not to because the smell tends to trigger migraines for me, and I can't take any of my meds right now, but baby is safe if you want to paint! Well ventilated space is important, whether you're pregnant or not!
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited January 2016
    As long as you're not sitting in a closet, spray painting the with door closed, you should be fine.  I've done my fair share of painting and haven't had issue, although my hubby isn't a fan of me doing that.  He's actually tried to keep me from painting but I did it anyway.  He's protective, of course.

• Options
    I paint all the time. My dr told me I'd be fine to paint, and if I wanted to wait until a certain time frame, the 3rd tri would be a fine time to start again.
  • Options

I painted all through my pregnancy with DD with OB clearance. I actually cut in the ceiling of the living room with 24 hours of DD's delivery (went into labor 5 hours later).

Like PP's have said, it's all about being in a well ventilated area and paying attention to yourself. I did a mural for nursery a couple weeks ago and had to pause twice to lay down because I just can't stay standing as long as I used to without triggering BH. Stay hydrated and you'll be fine :)
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only thing I would be concerned with would be the restoring part of the dresser if sanding is involved.  Have someone else do that or wear a mask to not inhale the paint and dust particles!  :)