Infertility
Options

New to blogging, even newer to infertility diagnosis

Hello all. My husband and I had been TTC conceive unsuccessfully for over a year. We discovered this fall my husband has less than 1% sperm count. He did a further work up with urology and it was recommended we go down the road of IVF to conceive. We then spent a few months obtaining insurance referrals to be seen by Boston IVF. So now we are anxiously waiting for our consult on February 23rd.

I would love to hear from people about their male infertility journey and thoughts. I am finding it hard to find information on male infertility. I am hoping this is the right forum for discussion. It's easy to feel alone quickly when this is the path before you.

This journey is very new to me, I have a lot to learn. I would love to hear from others.

Re: New to blogging, even newer to infertility diagnosis

• Options
    Welcome to the infertility group.  I cannot address your specific request for male factor infertility, but I know several of the women here are in similar situations.  I wanted to welcome you, and I hope your first consult and IVF journey go smoothly and successfully.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Options
    Welcome!
    I can't help you out with male infertility, but wanted to make you feel welcome in this group.
    GL on your journey

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi @cricci05! My situation is not exactly the same as yours, but there are similarities. My husband had a vasectomy that was unable to be successfully reversed which left IVF as our only option. He had a procedure to biopsy the sperm, and since we have a limited amount of sperm, our IVF cycle included ICSI. So in that way, our cycles will probably alike in that we are both dealing with a limited amount of swimmers. ICSI tends to have a pretty good fertilization rate, too. Do you know if your DH will be having a biopsy to get the sperm by his urologist? Any other questions I'd be happy to try and answer. So far I've been through a fresh IVF cycle and transfer and a frozen embryo transfer! I wish you good luck!
  • Options
    @cricci05 our biggest issue thus far seems to point to my husbands low SA results, his count is ok, motility is ok, but his morphology is low, and the range has varied from very low to a bit better. His little guys do not have acrosomal caps, so they are unable to penetrate my eggs. We are hoping IVF is the trick! We will be doing ICSI to ensure that the sperm can get to the egg.

Good luck to you on your journey! Keep us posted on what the urologist says!
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Options
    Welcome @cricci05!  We also have a male factor infertility diagnosis.  My husband has low T, which is genetic, and the supplement he was taking to increase his T levels (androgel) was causing very low sperm count.  We ended up being referred to a urologist who changed his medication to clomid and then tapered him off androgel.  This helped improve his sperm count, though he still has low motility at 35%.

What do you mean by 1% sperm count?  Do you mean it was 1 million?  It does sound like you've covered all your bases though in terms of working with a urologist.  IVF is a wonderful option for those dealing with MFI.  It is definitely something we are planning to do if we are unsuccessful with doing other methods.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    Hi! Male infertility is our issue as well. We sought help after two-ish years of trying. The first urologist my husband saw diagnosed him with azoospermia (no sperm). IVF with donor sperm was supposed to be our only option. 

He had repeated SAs done and they all showed zero sperm. We had to delay our IVF planning due to my father passing away. Now that we are back at it, we were referred to an urologist specializing in male factor infertility. He performs TESE procedures. He wanted another SA done and they magically found two sperm - one alive and one dead. We were thrilled to know my husband has sperm! For some reason, his body turned around and they've been able to collect a few vials of sperm for our IVF process. We will also be doing the ICSI to help the process.

I think knowing that your husband has sperm is a great thing, it was one of the hardest times for us having to have that donor sperm conversation.  

In comparison, there isn't that much out there in terms of male infertility information. Read as much as you can. I found a lot of basic terms and definitions on https://theturekclinic.com/. They run a blog that has tons of information. 

Good luck! 

4/15/16: Beta 379, 4/18/16: Beta 1358! 
    5/2/16: 2 heartbeats  <3  <3
    5/11/16: Baby A hb180, Baby B hb166 

Due 12/22/16 with two! 

• Options
    Hello and welcome!  Just did IVF w/ ICSI this fall due to male infertility.  My husband was born without a vas deferens and had to have his sperm surgically aspirated.  Even with immature sperm and very little (the lab said only maybe 15 extra sperm were still alive), we still had 7 out of 8 eggs fertilize!  Since they've developed the ICSI procedure, male infertility cases have pretty high IVF success rates.  Best of luck in the upcoming months!
    ***pregnancy mentioned***

Me: 27/ DH: 29
    Dx:  obstructive azoospermia 
    IVF#1:  October 2015
    10/7/2015:  ER  11 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI
    10/12/2015:  Transferred 5AA and 4AA blasts, froze one 4AA and 4BB
    Beta #1 9dp5dt:  122!!! BFP!
    Singleton, due June 2016

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I have a lot to learn since we are very early into this process. I am so anxious for the 23rd to learn more. Not sure if we are doing ICSI. I am still nervous about the costs! They haven't told us that yet. I am pretty sure they are not extracting his sperm, it was found on the analysis. No one has mentioned on any of the SAs about morphology and motility. So I will have to ask about that.