May 2016 Moms

Crab and Sushi

So I found a few things about sushi on here... I know you're not suppose to consume raw fish but the only rolls I like are California rolls and spider rolls (one is imitation crab and the other is cooked) These are okay to eat is what I have gathered so far... what about the eggs or I think its called roe they put on top? Best to avoid those? What is your opinion on rolls and have you consumed them while pregnant? Did you talk to your doctor first? I am seriously craving California rolls right now and its killing me! But I don't want to do anything to harm the baby.

Re: Crab and Sushi

• I've consumed cooked rolls-- lobster roll and shrimp tempura roll. Neither of these have anything uncooked in them so They're safe. The only thing it is suggested to avoid is raw fish. I believe roe is considered raw fish (they're uncooked fish eggs) so I would avoid that.
  • Loading the player...
  • nerdymama15nerdymama15 member
    edited January 2016
    I've eaten sushi just like I normally would.  Then again, I seldom eat the raw types of sushi to begin with.  I did not talk to my doctor (unless I did and forgot about it) , but crab meat in sushi (be it real or imitation) has to be cooked (they can't get the crab meat out of the crab unless it's cooked is my understanding).   My opinion is that the rolls that are cooked are fine.  I have consumed them while pregnant.  I never thought about the roe though, but on a personal level I'm not that worried about it, but if you are you could always ask them to leave that part off.   And if you are super duper worried, then you can always ask your doctor.
    Edit:  You can also buy a sushi making kit and make your own sushi.  I have done that before and it is super easy. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • I've been eating California rolls and cooked rolls, including ones with roe on top. I checked with my midwife and she said ones like that should be fine but to avoid raw - with a disclaimer that I'm an adult and can make my own choices so I can eat the raw if I choose, but she has to say I shouldn't for liability reasons.
  • I've been eating cooked rolls also, with roe on top. The thing that worries me most is cross contamination so I just ask they make it away from what they used the raw fish on. 

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/mercury-levels-in-sushi/

It's called masago (smelt eggs) and you can have it according to that link.
  • I've eaten any type of sushi I've wanted including the raw fish. I just make sure I get it from quality places that make it fresh! So far so good. I love sushi so much I just couldn't give it up!!! 
  • My doctor gave me the go-ahead for raw sushi a couple weeks ago when I told him I was craving it. He said to avoid the sketchy places and high mercury fish. He said that's not one of his big no-nos BEST. NEWS. EVER.  
    Me: 32 DH: 35
    Married 12/7/07
    DD: Born 1/2/14 
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• Yeah I've personally been eating any type of sushi! I only tend to go for the salmon and cream cheese rolls and I've been fine so far. It's really whether you're comfortable doing so or not, and I personally am. 
  • The places I typically get sushi only have high quality fish, so I haven't been too worried, but the high mercury levels in the tuna (my favorite) have deterred me from getting it too often lately. So, I've been eating more shrimp tempura and California rolls. As far as I'm concerned, if you get your sushi from a reputable restaurant and not a buffet where it's been sitting out for a while, you're probably fine. If I never got sick from eating at those places before, it's probably safe now.

Also, Florida stone crabs are in season near me, and a friend of MH's gave him several pounds of freshly caught crab claws a couple of days ago. I wasn't about to miss out on that! They were delicious! 
  • I don't think twice about anything cooked (crab, eel, etc), but so far I have held off on raw fish sushi while pregnant. I'm not totally ruling it out, and like others I feel like as long as your source is a place you normally trust to have high-quality fish, it should be okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kp90kp90 member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for all the input ladies. I indulged in California rolls and crazy boy rolls (fried cali rolls) and it tasted amazinggggg. My craving has been satisfied. I had them hold the roe though. That just grosses me out altogether now that I know what it is.
  • I have only eaten cooked rolls and had them package it separately without the tobiko (eggs). I read that the tobiko (like smoked salmon) should be avoided. My doctor gave me the all clear to go ahead and eat raw fish(limiting tuna serving) if I wanted it with the caveat of "well, if you get hepatitis a it will hurt you and not the baby". Clearly that put me off. I'll wait until after she comes to have my raw fish party, with a nice glass of wine.
  • TinaTho said:
    I have only eaten cooked rolls and had them package it separately without the tobiko (eggs). I read that the tobiko (like smoked salmon) should be avoided. My doctor gave me the all clear to go ahead and eat raw fish(limiting tuna serving) if I wanted it with the caveat of "well, if you get hepatitis a it will hurt you and not the baby". Clearly that put me off. I'll wait until after she comes to have my raw fish party, with a nice glass of wine.
    I ate so much smoked salmon around the holidays. It's like the main appetizer we would have at holiday parties. So far, no regrets!
  • I eat all the sushi- raw or cooked.