November 2015 Moms

"One bottle won't hurt ... or will it?"

My LO is 11 weeks and is EBF. The title of this post isn't about nipple confusion with bottles - she has had random bottles of pumped breastmilk every now and then. The title is in regards to those who exclusively breastfeed but give their baby an occasional bottle of formula. Does this hurt your supply? When you Google this - there is SO much conflicting information on the internet. Some say don't do it unless you plan on weaning, some say it doesn't hurt your supply, some stay it does. I've even asked a Lactation consultant in my area and she still would not give me a straight forward answer. What I want to do is replace one feeding a day with formula. Is that even possible to do and still upkeep your supply (if you pump in place of it, or hopefully I would rather my body adjust), and baby adjusts fine (assuming tummy handles it well)? I know I can pump but I did that for a while and was not getting enough to really build up a freezer stash. Also, a reason for wanting to do formula and not pumped milk is for selfish reasons - I hate pumping -  but also in April is when I have to wean her from breastfeeding because I have to stop prior to our IVF cycle injections (yes planning no. 2 already) and wanted to very slowly introduce one bottle a day over time and then in April start bumping that up. 

Anyone done this before? Thoughts?

Re: "One bottle won't hurt ... or will it?"

• I think when it comes down to it you won't know how your LO or your supply will react until you do it.

All the info out there is potential risks or possible side effects IMO. Your LO might do just fine, then again they may reject formula or start to reject the Breast. I know with my 3rd he got really picky and only took one type of powdered formula when we introduced it. He did just fine with those Similac premade 2oz bottles and Breast milk though. I had supply issues anyway so I can't comment on that part.
  • Mine gets 50/50 formula and breastmilk bottles when I'm at work and occasionally at home when my nips need a break. I always try to pump when she gets a bottle so as not to hurt my supply, so I guess I don't have exact experience with what you're asking. However, I would think if you are consistently replacing the same feed with formula, your supply would just adjust, in the same way it does when baby starts sleeping through the night and misses that feeding??
  • Loading the player...
  • I did it with DS1 and it worked out fine. I think I did it too soon (3 weeks) so I did have some supply issues, but once BFing was well established he had bottles of formula every now and then with no problems. If you replaced a specific feed with formula each day your body would adjust to that, but you might still be able to change it back to a BF if you wanted to.
    When DS was older and I had returned to work full time he was FF in the day and BF at night, but there were a few occasions where I decided to BF during the day on a weekend and I was able to. Our bodies are pretty amazing.
  • When I was trying to stockpile for work, I replaced 1 feeding a day with a bottle, and pumped shortly after LO ate. I don't feel like it messed with my supply, but then again, I don't really know a whole lot about it.
  • Cook3133 said:
    I think when it comes down to it you won't know how your LO or your supply will react until you do it. All the info out there is potential risks or possible side effects IMO. Your LO might do just fine, then again they may reject formula or start to reject the Breast. I know with my 3rd he got really picky and only took one type of powdered formula when we introduced it. He did just fine with those Similac premade 2oz bottles and Breast milk though. I had supply issues anyway so I can't comment on that part.
    I agree with this 100%. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I supplement one bottle of formula every night with this baby (9 wks) and did the same with my last child. Both wanted to cluster feed in the evening and it was just too much, with dinner, dishes, other kid, etc. Some nights I will pump in place of the formula bottle, but mostly I will still nurse him like usual. No supply issues at all. I use Nestle/Gerber formula because its suppose to be closest to breastmilk and it's non-Gmo.
  • I had to supplement with formula for a few weeks. I dont think it hurt my supply. Baby took it just fine but was notably gassier and fussier when she had formula. We used Similac, the dark blue one. 
  • My baby unfortunately had to drink formula right after delivery as I had to be treated for high blood pressure in the hospital, so she was used to the bottle right away.  I didn't end up producing much breast milk but still have her breastfeed at each feeding and have to supplement with formula.  She was 5 pounds 9 oz at birth due to being induced early at 37 weeks, and now she's almost 11 pounds! 
  • I give my EBF 12 week old bottles every now and then so she can start getting use to them. I go back to work next month and don't want it to be a complete shock to her. I pump every night during her 2 am feeding on the other side.  I've made a pretty nice freezer stash so far. Hoping to make it a year breastfeeding.  
  • I did it with DS1 and it worked out fine. I think I did it too soon (3 weeks) so I did have some supply issues, but once BFing was well established he had bottles of formula every now and then with no problems. If you replaced a specific feed with formula each day your body would adjust to that, but you might still be able to change it back to a BF if you wanted to. When DS was older and I had returned to work full time he was FF in the day and BF at night, but there were a few occasions where I decided to BF during the day on a weekend and I was able to. Our bodies are pretty amazing.
    I just returned back to work and am trying to do the same thing. I still have to pump once or twice at work because my breasts are so full... How did you wean yourself during the day? Also did breastfeeding on the weekends screw up your work days at all?
  • My baby gets me at home and 2 breast milk / 1 formula bottles at daycare. You were asking about it hurting your supply if you replace the feed with pumping. That worked for me. I pump once at work and once after work. Between those two pumps, I can get 2 bottles. My baby uses formula for the third bottle. My body just kind of adjusted and knows to produce a little less at work (so I don't leak) and more after work so my baby can eat.