September 2015 Moms
Options

Super baby drag aka forehead rug burn...

Little miss tries to crawl, she gets her butt in the air but doesn't push up all the way with her arms, so she pushes/drags herself forward with her face on the ground... Does anyone know of any arm and back exercises I can do with her? She can push up, I just think its difficult for her to do both at the same time.

Re: Super baby drag aka forehead rug burn...

• Options
    My LO does the same thing. If he could only figure out how to do both motions at once he'd be crawling. I think just lots of floor play will do it. When they are ready they will crawl. As much as I'm excited for him to master it I also know things will be a LOT harder. No more leaving him on his mat for a minute to run to the bathroom etc.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS does this too.  From what I remember it was a precursor to getting up on all fours.  From there he would just sort of lunge forward to scoot rather than army crawl.  

I think what helps with this it for her to strengthen her trunk muscles.  Lots of sitting will help with that.  If she can't sit unassisted you can just hold her hands which will help her use those muscles to balance her self and lean forward and backward. Lots of floor time and sitting will help LO learn more about her body and how to control it, I like to give DS some naked time sans diaper every day to go along with this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @thinkpink101  I know, I'm excited for her to start but I really need to baby proof before she does, I guess now is the time to start doing that.

@ElleMF728 She does sit a lot, usually with support but I guess I should let her do more without it. I'm just afraid she'll fall over when I look away! She balances okay but when she looks up she falls backwards... We do nakey time too to prevent diaper rash, so far so good :)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    DD1 did that prior to getting on all fours. From all fours she learned to lean back to get to a sitting position, and shortly after she started crawling. Do you have a mirror you could put down low? I have a long horizontal mirror on the wall by her play area. It was good entertainment for tummy time, and now she watches herself when rolling and wiggling. I got the idea from my montessori book. It claims that seeing their movement helps them to build awareness and control their movements, and eventually organize it into crawling. Except when we're holding her, we don't do sitting time yet. By the same theory, floor time helps to build muscle strength, which will allow them to figure out how to get to sitting by themselves. It certainly won't hurt them to be sat up, I'm just showing that there are many theories of development, and you can only go wrong by ignoring the baby completely :smile:

ETA pic of mirror set up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited January 2016
    It will just come and will feel like overnight. My #4 "bulldozed" like you described and by 5.5 months was up on all 4 and crawling.  It's funny you mentioned the rug burn because his poor little head and nose were always red. It didn't bother him but it sure bothered me.