November 2015 Moms
Options

How to-gripe water

Ive heard and read great things about gripe water but I'm not sure how to use it. The bottle says how much to give but not when (before, after, during a feeding?)...can anyone advise? I found a youtube video that said 30 minutes after a meal...

Also what changes did you observe in your baby and how soon. My baby is gurgly...as in burping for a long time after feeding to where it disrupts her sleep. Minimal spitting up but she seems uncomfortable. I gave it to her once and it almost seemed to set off her stomach...is this normal? Is the benefit from continued use?

Re: How to-gripe water

• Options
    We use gas drops before each meal, seems to help him burp. If he is still upset, seems to have trapped gas or gurgling tummy i give gripe water. I only give 3ml even though the dose on the bottle says 5.
    Thr little remedies seems to work better for my lo. I tried the mother bliss and it didn't seem to make a difference
  • Options
    I give mother's bliss gripe water whenever her tummy troubles are inconsolable, usually the middle or end of a feeding. I measure it in the dropper and put it in the bottle. As soon as she tastes it, she settles down and drinks it slowly. She seems to like the taste. It works immediately. If she acts hungry right afterwards, I try to wait a few minutes before continuing to feed her. The few times she continued to fuss afterward, she ended up projectile vomiting, and I think at that point it was inevitable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I give it to my son only when he's cranky because of not burping. I asked my doc how often I could do it and she said no more than 3-5 times a day. I've only resorted to using it a couple times though and it did help him burp.
  • Options
    DS has a lot of trouble burping and tooting so we have to use gripe water or gas drops quite often. I usually give it to him in the afternoon after he's had a few feedings and I can determine if it's gas/tummy pains or if he's just cranky. Unless he wakes up to pains then I do it after his first morning feed(9am). It usually works for him most of the day. He does get more drooly after taking it. I give him 2ml most of the time, but on bad days he gets the full 5ml that's recommended. We use the mothers bliss gripe water and little remedies gas drops.
  • Options
    I use it quite often but only 2ml at a time because the first time I gave her it I used the 5ml dosage it states on the bottle and ended up with the most explosive poop ever about 5 mins later! 2ml seems to relieve her wind without the poop explosion.
  • Options
    I've been giving 2 ml as well, I found the higher dosage made her spit up a lot (though she did usually feel better after!). You could always give a smaller dose and then give more in half hour if it seems like baby needs it.
  • Options
    VexedMommyVexedMommy member
    edited January 2016
    I also used the Mommy Bliss gripe water and I'm pretty sure it says 0.5ml, not 5 for newborn. . . I read it as 5 the first time as well and after drinking it she gave the biggest burp I've ever heard from pretty much anyone and then pooped a diaper full. 

I give it to Bridget if she's got gas/spit up problems or hasn't pooped in a day or so.  We give it on an as needed basis as opposed to a scheduled time. 

ETA - Ignore me.  Mommy brain has taken over and I've failed at dosages. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    We use the Little Remedies, and it works instantly, I give it to him when he is really having a hard time with burps or farts. He seems to like the taste, I put it in an empty bottle and he drinks it right down. 
  • Options
    I give it directly to DS by syringe, it's basically sugar water and he loves the taste.  It helps pretty quickly, and has a laxative effect later in th day, as noted by a PP and her baby's poopsplosion.  I give DS 1.5ml, as I was a bit wary of giving him a full dose (little remedies).  It doesn't work immediately at that dose, but it helps get the gas out.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker