1st Trimester

Terrified of birth

Jenn061477Jenn061477 member
edited January 2016 in 1st Trimester
I am amazed I am pregnant! I feel beautiful and amazing that I was given this gift... but I am absolutely terrified of giving birth and being around people that just don't care cause they do this every day! Lol Does anyone else share this fear or am I the only one? Can any moms give advice? Thank you! 

Re: Terrified of birth

• A lot of fear stems from a lack of understanding. Read up, take child birth classes and find an OB practice or midwife you feel comfortable with. There's also the option of a doula, who is your own personal birth coach. There's lots you can do between now and your due date to help alleviate your fears.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'm a ftm and I agree it is pretty scary! But now in second tri and getting to know my dr and nurses the fact that they around it everyday is comforting because I know it's not because they don't care they do it because they care a lot and because they see it everyday they know just what to do in any situation and being new and haven't done this before their knowledge and help as professionals is more comforting to me than people's stories since I know every birth is pretty different. You aren't alone in this but try not to discount your health professionals as not caring ;)
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • I'm at FTM, & i was terrified terrified of giving birth when i first found out. honestly, i still am. however, I've found that the birthing class I'm taking is really helping me relax & not feel so scared. the lack of understanding how childbirth works definitely makes it seem scarier. 

i second what @meggyme said about, well, everything, hahah. tour the hospitals in your city, find an OB/midwife that you love & who makes you feel comfortable, & look into birthing classes (especially breastfeeding classes!!!), etc. the more info you can get, the lesa scary it seems. 

& honestly once you come near the end, you'll be looking forward to getting baby out of you! hahah.
  • I am amazed I am pregnant! I feel beautiful and amazing that I was given this gift... but I am absolutely terrified of giving birth and being around people that just don't care cause they do this every day! Lol Does anyone else share this fear or am I the only one? Can any moms give advice? Thank you! 
    I dont understand the bolded part. Are you talking about the L/D staff? Trust me, they care. They care a lot. Every birth is different and special. They may not jump and down for you with joy, and try to stay calm, for you. I have cried when many babies have been born, I have been in many baby books, and hugged many family members. 

If this is for your 'support' group, like your DH, mom, MIL. If you feel they are not going to give you the support now, just find some one you can trust and want to be there.
  • What comforted me was to tell myself that women (and well, other animals) have been giving birth for the looooongest time. It's completely natural and your body is well equipped to do it. It sucks and it can be scary but the end result is amazing. If you elect to do it in a hospital, you'll be well taken care of and there are meds to help with the pain.
  • This is my first pregnancy, but I'm going to chime in. 

If you want a more hands-on labor, I'd suggest you birth with a midwife or doula. These are people who are trained to work with you and coach you through your pregnancy and delivery. 

Secondly, think of your birth as a marathon. You wouldn't just decide to run a marathon and then not train for it, right? The same thing applies here. Use the time during your pregnancy to "train." Read books and articles. I've come across some tips like training the mind through meditation. There are exercises you can do to help prepare your body. I just started listening to a Podcast called The Fear Free Childbirth which seems to be really empowering. 
  • I am pregnant with my fourth. There are still times when I am scared because, let's be honest, it is not going to be the easiest thing you do in life. Classes helped a ton and having a great support system did also. The ladies here are great too! Once it's done and over you are going to wonder what you were scared for. :-) You will only have eyes for your little bundle of joy and everything else just kind of melts away.
  • While pg I had moments of anxiety about giving birth. I switched OBs at around 34 weeks so I really didn't know anyone from the office. They made me feel like I mattered. I totally understand the bolded. My previous OB was a train wreck, good ol military hospitals. -_- Anyways, towards the end I was just so over being pregnant I could not wait to deliver! The struggles of being 39 weeks definitely put any fear I had on the back burner. I ended up getting an epidural around 6cm and had the most relaxing and wonderful birth experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck!
  • What comforted me was to tell myself that women (and well, other animals) have been giving birth for the looooongest time. It's completely natural and your body is well equipped to do it. It sucks and it can be scary but the end result is amazing. If you elect to do it in a hospital, you'll be well taken care of and there are meds to help with the pain.
    I also think how most people have more then 1 child. If people experience it and are open to doing it again, it has to be doable!

I just signed up for a Bradley Method class, and I am really looking forward to it. I liked the instructor immediately just from our phone call. I think this class will help ease my fears and give me the knowledge I need.

Me - 33; DH - 33
    Dating 1/18/06
    Married 9/21/13
    BFP #1 12/15/15 - C Born 8/27/16
    BFP #2 1/10/20 - EDD 9/8/20

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think what you're experiencing is totally normal. Women have been doing it for a long time  :). However please try to go with the flow and relax with whatever comes. I speak from experience. I planned a natural birth with my first. After being ten days overdue, induced, in the hospital for thee days, progressing to nine centimeters only to end up with a cesarean.  Not that this will be even close to your experience but just try and breathe!
  • jamiesc58 said:
    I am pregnant with my fourth. There are still times when I am scared because, let's be honest, it is not going to be the easiest thing you do in life. Classes helped a ton and having a great support system did also. The ladies here are great too! Once it's done and over you are going to wonder what you were scared for. :-) You will only have eyes for your little bundle of joy and everything else just kind of melts away.

Word. She is speaking the truth. I have 2 kids and was scared each time but I also think a little fear is a good thing. You can't go into childbirth naïve because then you'll really be screwed ;)

Also, don't go into this thinking the hospital staff doesn't care. They do care and they will be there to answer questions and walk you through it. You've got this. Don't stress it.

• It's ok to be scared! This is my third and I'm scared because you never know how things will go. I'm afraid of having to have a c section and recover with two small children already at home. As PP said take a birthing class, read some books, find a provider that you're comfortable with, and visit the hospital. 

The team you have delivering your baby cares a lot. It's why they work long hours with women cursing and screaming at them (I've done both and then apologized later and been embarrassed!). They care about you and your baby! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker