February 2016 Moms

Hospital Entertainment

Just wondering what you ladies have packed to keep you busy during labor? i have so many ideas but I don't know what I'll really be able to focus on. For STM+ what worked for you?

Re: Hospital Entertainment

• kinnonam said:

Just wondering what you ladies have packed to keep you busy during labor? i have so many ideas but I don't know what I'll really be able to focus on. For STM+ what worked for you?

I didn't need anything to keep me busy. Laboring kept be plenty busy. I don't think I could even focus on anything else other than getting through contractions.
  • I'll bring my phone for afterwards, but I'm not worried about keeping myself "entertained" during labor. I think I'll have plenty to focus on/think about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • kinnonam said:

I didn't need anything to keep me busy. Laboring kept be plenty busy. I don't think I could even focus on anything else other than getting through contractions.
    This exactly. It seemed like it went by so fast when I think back to it. I really had to concentrate to get through contractions and they came so frequently that I didn't have time to think or do anything else. Once I got the epidural, I took a short nap/rested since I had been up the whole previous night. The next day and a half I was busy with baby, visitors and sleeping/resting so I didn't need much entertainment. I am packing earbuds this time, for DH or myself, just in case we feel like watching a show on our phone or listening to music but I highly doubt it. It doesn't hurt to bring some things if you think you may want them (magazines, knitting/crochet project, etc.), you never know what you'll feel like doing or how long labor will be.
  • I was in the hospital for awhile before I started pushing. I used the time to try to sleep (after I got the epidural). And DH and I just used the time to talk and enjoy our last little bit of time as a family of 2. We also loved our L&D nurse, so we socialized with her a lot. I mean, she was all up in my business every 20-30 min, so it only felt right to get to know her ;). This time we might have a tv in our L&D room... I might watch crap tv, if I have as much time as last time. And last but not least, I cannot lie, we did play on our phones a bit checking FB and whatnot. But we aren't brining any special entertainment to pass the time. Time passes quickly, even if you are just lying there for 6+ hours.
  • I over estimated how much "free time" I would have with DS1. I brought a book, a magazine and iPad. DH and I tried watching some tv shows on the iPad while I was in labor to keep me distracted but I was took busy trying to breathe through contractions. Plus hospital staff come in and out of your room non-stop so it's hard to get involved in much. After DS was born I was too caught up in just taking care and loving on him in between our family coming into visit---plus I was trying to get some rest myself. It doesn't hurt to bring everything that you think you might want---but this time around I am bringing a ton less than I did the first time. I felt like I had so much "luggage" when we left the hospital and it was a ton of clothes I didn't wear and things I didn't need. I think I will just stick to bringing maybe my iPad---but really more importantly my phone charger and phone. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • It depends. Last time I was induced so I brought my speakers to listen to my favorite morning radio show and music. I also brought my iPad. Interestingly, shortly after I got to the hospital the news about Aaron Hernandez broke out and I remember entertaining ourselves with updates that went from him being a potential witness of a murder of his friend to being a murderer!
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I've had really short labors with all 3 of my kids (2 hours). With my first I did not need anything to keep me busy, my contractions were enough. With my second and third since I asked to be induced my husband brought jenga and cards. Lol mainly because we were waiting for a room and for everything to get set up. But once I started going into labor we just talked and kept each other company. This time I will bring my iPad along with my phone but it's mainly to keep me busy for after I deliver. My husband will be staying the night at home with the kids.
  • kinnonam said:

This exactly!

• I agree.  It kind of depends on what your labor plans are.  If you're planning on getting an epi then you might have a little down time, but I would take a nap or just chat.  Time does seem to fly by with everyone around you so busy and stuff.  But if you're not planning on having an epi there won't be any time to think about anything else between contractions.  You're going to be hard at work.
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• I'm just bringing my ipad for music while I labor. I tend to go into lalaland!
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I didn't even listen to music this time round. I just wanted to rest and try and nap when I could as I was tired going into labor.
  • I played Uno with my H! I had a long induction though. I tried to read but couldn't concentrate with so many people in and out.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • edited January 2016
    Like others have said, it really depends.  I try to get to the hospital long after the point where I can focus on anything but labor!  I had a long with induction with my first, and I remember trying to watch a movie right in the beginning and just not being able to focus on it, even though I was having no contractions or pain of any kind.  I don't think there's any harm in just bringing what you think you'd like, even if you don't use it:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I have my box set of the original Star Wars trilogy, sudoku, word searches, a notebook for drawing/writing, and music on my tablet (woohoo push mix!) I have no idea what I'll like at the time, but I think it's better to be prepared! Probably going to throw in some other movies . . . Robin Hood: Men in Tights is going in tonight :smiley: 
  • I too was to focused on labor with my first I didn't have time to try to entertain myself.. And after my Epi I "tried" to get some sleep since I had went in at 7:00pm on a Monday and didn't have him until after 1 in the afternoon Tuesday by c section.. With my second I started labor before my registered c section date and by the time we got to the hospital they checked us in and prepped us for our c section after they tried stopping him for 6 hours :) after they were both born I was busy with visitors, trying to rest and just staring at my beautiful babies
  • After I got my epidural, I was able to relax and watched the hobbit and the classic wizard of oz on the hospital movie channel. I think i might have dozed off at one point. Before the epi, I just had my eyes shut most of the time, trying to breathe through contractions.

After she was born, I didn't even want to touch my phone to text people back. It was all about living in the moment. Oh yeah, and trying to get her to latch. Didn't get the hang of that til we got home anyway.
  • I labored for 24 hours with my son, so there was lots of time.  I spent the time walking the halls and laboring in the laboring tub.  I don't remember watching much tv because I was so focused on what I could do to help things along.  I remember hanging out on the birthing ball and taking a shower and laboring on the toilet.  This time, I might plan to watch some TV or something.  I think I was overly aggressive about making sure I was doing all those things you're supposed to do to help labor along and it backfired.  I didn't dilate past 5cm.  this time, I might try to take a more relaxed approach and let myself get caught up in a tv show if that's possible between contractions.
  • I labored for 24 hours with my son, so there was lots of time.  I spent the time walking the halls and laboring in the laboring tub.  I don't remember watching much tv because I was so focused on what I could do to help things along.  I remember hanging out on the birthing ball and taking a shower and laboring on the toilet.  This time, I might plan to watch some TV or something.  I think I was overly aggressive about making sure I was doing all those things you're supposed to do to help labor along and it backfired.  I didn't dilate past 5cm.  this time, I might try to take a more relaxed approach and let myself get caught up in a tv show if that's possible between contractions.
    I've seen something about laboring on the toilet before and I'm curious why.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    I've seen something about laboring on the toilet before and I'm curious why.

You know, it's hard to say why it feels good to labor on the toilet, but if you face the back of the toilet and straddle the bowl, the angle or the way it opens your legs feels good.  Even sitting regular on the toilet feels good when you're contracting.  Weird, I know.
  • FTM here, and I am positive I have over packed, but I have a book and a game and a puzzle book with mad libs and stuff. This is just in case I have an induction and it is long, or my husband needs something to do while I'm sleeping or laboring like crazy and don't want to deal with him lol. Also, H will be going home to take care of the love of my life (my dog), so I will also have some things just in case.
  • @Life is Exciting @DrillSergeantCat I want to say it has something to do with your pelvis being open. Or maybe because you use the same muscles to push as you do to poop so you feel more "open". 
  • I packed my ipod, tablet, cards, books, and an adult coloring book.  Hubby packed a book and tablet for himself.  I tested strep b positive, so I know I have to be in the hospital for at least 4 hours before I deliver (if possible) for antibiotic drip so I want to have stuff to do if I feel like keeping busy.  I also realize I may use none of it, but I'd rather have it then have nothing. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just wanted to say that my husband wasn't sufficient enough and I got bored. Luckily I had uno in my bag and didn't know it! So yea, bring cards! 
  • I just found out were being induced, so I'm glad I ordered a few adult coloring books with motivational and inspirational sayings ("today is the best day" "what a wonderful life" etc). Super cheesy, but we'll see how it helps! 
  • After my epi last time, I fell asleep and woke up when it was time to push so I didn't need any additional entertainment. But it was 3am when I got the epi so normal sleeping time anyway. I am kind of hoping for a similar situation this time where I can just rest before all the action goes down. But if that can't happen then I think my phone will be entertainment enough.