September 2016 Moms

UOs?

TheTamedShrewTheTamedShrew member
edited January 2016 in September 2016 Moms
It is Thursday, right? All the days are starting to run together for me. 

It's never too late to share an opinion!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary       

Re: UOs?

• Loading the player...
  • One thing that I have been thinking about. I get so annoyed that people are so upset that they cannot drink for nine months. Even worse is women who POAS at 10 DPO because there is [an event]. Are you really still going to drink if it is negative?!?! If you cannot stop from drinking alcohol if there is a chance you could be pregnant, it makes me think you may have a problem. Same for people who try to justify drinking "one glass of wine" while pregnant. So many people would give up an arm to have a healthy pregnancy. *Getting off soap box now*
    BFP #1  6/26/15, D&C 8/14/15
    BFP #2  12/22/15, EDD 9/1/16  :)
  • JessicaC0203JessicaC0203 member
    edited January 2016
    UOs are just that... UOs. I am all about agreeing to disagree regarding the popular "drink till it's pink" idea.

Otherwise yea... I missed having a glass of sangria at my favorite restaurant last weekend, which by no means makes me think that would make anyone an alcoholic. I guess I could clarify by saying, I get annoyed when that is all you complain about when there is so much more that sucks about being pregnant. For example, I had a coworker complain and whine about it on almost a daily basis her entire pregnancy, meanwhile I was going through a miscarriage. That is a little much IMO.

Edit to add: Also, I primarily take care of Substance Use Disorders in Pregnancy so I am likely biased to using any substance in pregnancy because I have personally seen all the devastating effects. 
  • If you're whining about it everyday, then yes, annoying. But POAS to check before you drink doesn't imply a problem. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • reesaXden said:
    I hate character clothes. Pjs, undies, and socks is about all I can tolerate.  Thankfully, my son doesn't seem to mind. 
    I feel the opposite way and I think mine is probably a UO on TB based on past experiences.m. I don't think character clothes are cute but man my girls love them and if you love hello kitty and you're 3, I think you should be allowed to wear hello kitty. We don't do tons of characters but the ones we have my girls love. 
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • Here is my thought process on the POAS thing. Take it for what you think it's worth. Example: test on DPO 11 and it is negative, then test on DPO 12 and it is positive. What has really changed in 24 hours? It is not the presence of HCG in your body. Blood tests for HCG are positive a minimum 2 days prior to even the most sensitive urine sticks. So why do people not drink once they get the positive if drinking the day before was acceptable? I do not believe the risk is any smaller over a one day span. And yes, there is no information saying it is harmful but there is no information saying it is not either. It really boils down to (in my mind) that no one knows what the heck is going on between mom and baby from the very beginning. There is no information that at this [gestational age] alcohol is getting to the embryo. For me, I don't see the benefit outweighing the risk albeit the risk likely being very small until a certain point (although no one knows when that point is--i do not believe it is the minute you turn a stick positive). 
  • Here's my UO and I know I'm going to get boo'd for saying it, but I hate all of the acronyms on The Bump! Whew! There, I said it. :) I feel like I have to do a Google search every day to try and understand the dialogue here sometimes. I try using some now to "fit in" but it's not like there are just the few common ones like "DH", "DD", "DS", "SO"...I get those. There are too many! Lolol. I feel so much better now. Carry on... :)

Agreed. Been on the bump since 2012 and still can't get the hang of them.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • reesaXden said:
    I hate character clothes. Pjs, undies, and socks is about all I can tolerate.  Thankfully, my son doesn't seem to mind. 
    I'm with you on this one.  My 17 month old has no idea what paw patrol is (neither do I!) there's zero chance I'm buying him anything with that on it.  
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• I hate the term "rainbow baby".  I'm PGAL, and I like that women are celebrating their second (or more) chance at a healthy baby, but the term just sounds too cutesy-precious to me. Plus, it puts a lot of pressure on the new pregnancy to make everything sunny and happy again, which it may or may not.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Here is my thought process on the POAS thing. Take it for what you think it's worth. Example: test on DPO 11 and it is negative, then test on DPO 12 and it is positive. What has really changed in 24 hours? It is not the presence of HCG in your body. Blood tests for HCG are positive a minimum 2 days prior to even the most sensitive urine sticks. So why do people not drink once they get the positive if drinking the day before was acceptable? I do not believe the risk is any smaller over a one day span. And yes, there is no information saying it is harmful but there is no information saying it is not either. It really boils down to (in my mind) that no one knows what the heck is going on between mom and baby from the very beginning. There is no information that at this [gestational age] alcohol is getting to the embryo. For me, I don't see the benefit outweighing the risk albeit the risk likely being very small until a certain point (although no one knows when that point is--i do not believe it is the minute you turn a stick positive). 
    So, based on your thinking, women who hope to get pregnant should abstain from alcohol any day they are not on their period. Also, any woman who has a drink before she knows she is pregnant is an alcoholic.

You sound like a lot of fun. 
    I must have a problem because her story describes me.  Negative at 11DPO had a drink that night and a positive at 12DPO.... I must have a problem.  
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• @AmMcc12 Clearly you do, see if you were like me and drank at 10DPO and tested positive at 11DPO you would not have one  ;)
  • vampirinavampirina member
    edited January 2016
    Here is my thought process on the POAS thing. Take it for what you think it's worth. Example: test on DPO 11 and it is negative, then test on DPO 12 and it is positive. What has really changed in 24 hours? It is not the presence of HCG in your body. Blood tests for HCG are positive a minimum 2 days prior to even the most sensitive urine sticks. So why do people not drink once they get the positive if drinking the day before was acceptable? I do not believe the risk is any smaller over a one day span. And yes, there is no information saying it is harmful but there is no information saying it is not either. It really boils down to (in my mind) that no one knows what the heck is going on between mom and baby from the very beginning. There is no information that at this [gestational age] alcohol is getting to the embryo. For me, I don't see the benefit outweighing the risk albeit the risk likely being very small until a certain point (although no one knows when that point is--i do not believe it is the minute you turn a stick positive). 
    I get what you're saying here. But I'm not going to live my life like I'm pregnant if I don't know that I'm pregnant.

What if in your scenario on 11dpo I had my BFF's wedding. I took a test and it was negative, but we've been trying so I know I  could be pregnant so I abstained from all the champagne toasts. And then 14dpo my period arrived and then I'd be looking back on the fact that I unnecessarily abstained from partying at a wedding because of the mere possibility that I could be pregnant. TTC can already be an incredibly long journey. And I'm not going to make it longer by living "pregnant" even when I'm not.
  • @diagonalley I agree with your UO! Also, I get stressed out whenever I read replies to posts in the First Trimester boards too. They get into some fights! And people seem so serious/intense all the time. I love our BMB and the humor often infused with our questions and answers. 
    Married: 3/21/15
    First time mom to a human but have been a puppy mamma for over 12 years :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• @diagonalley I agree with your UO! Also, I get stressed out whenever I read replies to posts in the First Trimester boards too. They get into some fights! And people seem so serious/intense all the time. I love our BMB and the humor often infused with our questions and answers. 
    Yea, I can't take the seriousness and super sensitivity.  I'm still extremely close with my first BMB and have met several IRL so I'm happy to see how this board is turning out :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • At the end of the day, we all make our own decisions and take our own risks. Granted when not pregnant, I drink probably a glass of wine per week. I just chose to not drink during the TWW because I am a risk averse person naturally and don't think that doing that should be difficult. I also can have lots of fun at most events without drinking. I agree on not living every moment as if I am pregnant but I also know I have a large superego that if anything went wrong I would question every decision I made (i.e. risk aversive). Likely my own downfalls. 

I also never used the term "alcoholic" and apologize if anyone got that impression or was offended. Suspicion of "having a problem" is much different than having an alcohol use disorder (I dislike the term alcoholic but we do not have to get into that). I guess I picked a good UO and will stand by it.  
    Yea, I can't take the seriousness and super sensitivity.  I'm still extremely close with my first BMB and have met several IRL so I'm happy to see how this board is turning out :) 

I have as well. Love my April 13 BMB.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • reesaXden said:
    Me too!  It actually drives me nuts that diapers have characters on them.  I feel like they put them there without my permission!
  • AmMcc12 said:
    Here is my thought process on the POAS thing. Take it for what you think it's worth. Example: test on DPO 11 and it is negative, then test on DPO 12 and it is positive. What has really changed in 24 hours? It is not the presence of HCG in your body. Blood tests for HCG are positive a minimum 2 days prior to even the most sensitive urine sticks. So why do people not drink once they get the positive if drinking the day before was acceptable? I do not believe the risk is any smaller over a one day span. And yes, there is no information saying it is harmful but there is no information saying it is not either. It really boils down to (in my mind) that no one knows what the heck is going on between mom and baby from the very beginning. There is no information that at this [gestational age] alcohol is getting to the embryo. For me, I don't see the benefit outweighing the risk albeit the risk likely being very small until a certain point (although no one knows when that point is--i do not believe it is the minute you turn a stick positive). 
    So, based on your thinking, women who hope to get pregnant should abstain from alcohol any day they are not on their period. Also, any woman who has a drink before she knows she is pregnant is an alcoholic.

You sound like a lot of fun. 
    I must have a problem because her story describes me.  Negative at 11DPO had a drink that night and a positive at 12DPO.... I must have a problem.  
    I did the same thing :o.  Planned to test on Xmas but then my luggage got delayed.  That night I was offered a glass and thought "what the heck, it might be my last" and next morning, two pink lines :) oops
  • @crispy11 I agree with you while I would prefer to dress my kids like Gap models on a daily basis it really makes my heart melt to see how happy they are to wear Ninja Turtles and Frozen. 
    DD 5/23/11 - DS 11/20/12 - BFP 1/10/16; EDD 9/22/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

valentines day sexy justin bieber heart 2011
  • @backoffunicorn - I'm not really sure that's a UO. I think you might be in the majority. I completely agree though, how the hell is he at the top of the polls?!?!?!

my current UO: I hate when my friends (with kids) keep referring to their babies liking me because they can "sense the motherhood" now that I'm pregnant. No. Your baby liked me before I was pregnant, nothing has changed. 
    I think you're right on this board

• camichael84camichael84 member
    edited January 2016
    My UO is that too many women become insufferable know-it-alls when they become pregnant or mothers. What makes ppl think that the way they do things is the only way or the right way. Maybe I am just a more laid back type of personality, but I think it is just rude and uncalled for when women start doling out unsolicited advice. Especially when there is such vitriol spewed when someone has a different view from theirs. What happened to the mindset that different personalities make the world go around... What a boring world we would live in if everybody thought the same way! 
    I agree with your sentiment, but wouldn't limit it to women and those that are pregnant/have children. Most people, men and women, childless or not, have extreme opinions on how children should be raised. I was actually more judgy before having DD. Parenthood taught me that you do what works for you and your family because each family/child/parent is different.

ETA my UO: I don't get why women think Channing Tatum is so hot, and frankly I'm pissed he's playing my favorite X-man, Gambit, in a movie.

• TheTamedShrewTheTamedShrew member
    edited January 2016
    @camichael84 I agree! I am so baffled that he got a part in a Tarantino film AND a Coen brothers film this year! He is just not worthy. At all.
    Anniversary       

• I am going to be buying as much use baby gear and clothes from this baby that I can!  Being my 4th and most def last I can't justify spending so much money for brand new items that won't get used for that long. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • @618mom22boys I totally agree!! This is number 5 for us and I've been playing it smart with each new one. With my 4th I went to the thrift shop and bought a crib and repainted it, used the swing from my third, reused all the baby clothes, and reused the bouncer I had since the 2nd child. It wasn't about caring less with each but I think the older the wiser. BUT to eac their own. If new is you then that's cool too. I just get a thrill from saving money! :-)