September 2016 Moms

Do I need the Rhogam shot?

I am Rh negaitive and this is my second pregnancy. I experienced some red spotting yesterday, which I’m going in to have checked out tomorrow, but the nurses didn’t mention anything about getting the Rhogam shot right away. I’ve always read that you need to have the shot if you experience bleeding during pregnancies after your first. I did mention to them that I thought I needed the shot, but when they doctor called back he didn’t say anything about it.

My daughter was also born with the rh-negative factor, would that be why they are so lax about getting me in for a shot? Did my body not produce the antibodies because my daughter didn’t have a positive blood type? We are 90% sure that my husband also has a negative blood type, therefor we couldn’t even produce a positive blood type baby, but he's not 100% sure, and I hate to just assume.

It seems logical to me, but I’m worried and can’t find much information on it. Anyone with any experience on this?

Thanks!

Re: Do I need the Rhogam shot?

• I would call and ask about it explicitly. I'm O- and haven't had any kind of cross-over in my previous pregnancies, but I try to be vigilant about it since my husband is O+. I kinda have to advocate for myself because I don't know that we receive red flags in our files unless there's been proven cross-over.
    September '16 -  May Signature Challenge
    Awkward Family Fun

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I am also rh negative and my dr. Said I will get the shot at 28 wks but if I start bleeding I need to call and they'll give it to me immediately. I'd definitely ask!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm rh negative as well. I got the Rhogam after my first miscarriage. They were super thorough though and checked DH's blood type as well to check if he was rh positive. If you and DH are both rh negative, then there is virtually no chance you will have an rh positive baby (two negatives can't make a positive!). But if DH is rh positive there's a strong chance baby will be positive, and that's when they'll give you the Rhogam. That being said, if you're spotting, I would call back ASAP and advocate for yourself and ask about it again more firmly. Better safe than sorry. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have O- blood and got Rh disease with my first pregnancy. I had red spotting/bleeding and believe that was the cause, since my baby had a positive blood type. We learned that, because my husband has a positive blood type (with two positives, rather than a positive/negative), I will only make positive babies. So... now each of my pregnancies is high-risk! In any case, I've always wondered if I should have gotten the Rhogam shot earlier; once I got the antibodies, the shot was useless (so if I were you, I would call). It could be possible that your babies will only have a negative blood type, in which case you wouldn't have to worry about getting the shot (you're correct - your body will not produce antibodies when your baby has a similar blood type). 
  • You will, but not until your second trimester unless there's bleeding or something before then. 
  • JenR6 said:
    I am Rh negaitive and this is my second pregnancy. I experienced some red spotting yesterday, which I’m going in to have checked out tomorrow, but the nurses didn’t mention anything about getting the Rhogam shot right away. I’ve always read that you need to have the shot if you experience bleeding during pregnancies after your first. I did mention to them that I thought I needed the shot, but when they doctor called back he didn’t say anything about it.

My daughter was also born with the rh-negative factor, would that be why they are so lax about getting me in for a shot? Did my body not produce the antibodies because my daughter didn’t have a positive blood type? We are 90% sure that my husband also has a negative blood type, therefor we couldn’t even produce a positive blood type baby, but he's not 100% sure, and I hate to just assume.

It seems logical to me, but I’m worried and can’t find much information on it. Anyone with any experience on this?

Thanks!

If the doctors aren't certain your DH has a negative blood type, you need the shot. This is my 3rd pregnancy and each time they gave me the shot at 5 weeks because of red spotting, even though it was incredibly little in the way of blood. I would call and tell them you were bleeding and need the rhogam shot. Better safe than sorry, before the antibodies form!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker