Postpartum Depression
Options

Baby blues?

So let me first explain that I'm kind of an analytical person and changing roles (for example to being a wife) have always taken me a little time to adjust. I had my baby girl 17 days ago. Although it was a planned pregnancy I felt myself be distant from feelings because I was so terrified I'd lose the pregnancy.

Fast forward to now. I feel kind of lost since the birth. Like Im not myself. I don't have any feelings of resentment or sadness really, just exhausted and lost. Am I doing this right? Is a constant thought. I also haven't said I loved her, I feel so guilty about this. I care about her and I'm doing anything I can for her to be well but the I love her thought doesn't really come to mind. Sometimes i cry out of the overwhelming responsibility of this parenting thing. Or when i just feel really tired from the lack of sleep. Or when I realize something I used to do won't be as easy to do or even possible to do anymore. When I self analyze I think I'm just adjusting and physically spent. But the whole be careful about post partum depression is drilled in so hard these days I'm scared I could be minimizing. The symptoms have been improving...slowly but yes better than at first. It's all so real and not the cuteness that tv or friends/family romanticize.

Re: Baby blues?

• Options
    That's how I was but it was not improving, only getting worse, so I can't offer much advice. I guess unless you really think it's improving I would talk to your doctor about it. I kept saying it's getting better but it really wasn't. Good luck
  • Options
    I feel similar but I love my little girl so much it's sick and causing me anxiety they something could happen to her. I worry constantly. I would say give yourself some more time but keep yourself aware of the situation(it's great that your aware already).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was feeling exactly the same especially the first month. Lost and overwhelmed.

Now at almost 12 weeks the fog has started to clear out and I do feel way better.

It's normal I would say to feel like that, as long as you feel like it is getting better. If not, getting help is the best thing you can do :)

I have come to believe that we mums( esp first time mums) are on survival mode which gets activated on birth and it lasts minimum 6 months. At least that's what I've gathered from talking to other experienced mums.

Hang in there, you are not alone!

Good luck and lots if hugs.
  • Options
    cavkoonarcavkoonar member
    edited January 2016
    First off I'm not one to cry easily but after I had my first baby all I did was cry!!! The hormones and the exhaustion were killing me. My mom asked me how I was doing and that i must have been soooo happy. It was at that point I realized I was so wrapped up in trying to survive I felt like I was missing out on something. I questioned if I had ppd and everyone would tell me it gets easier as they get older. I have to say that it did get easier as she got older (5months now) and the crying stopped after a few weeks (mine that is). Don't be so hard on yourself and know that you are doing your best. It's so hard emotionally, physically, mentally. Hang in there!! Ppd can surface at anytime and reach out to your doctor if you need to but for now be easy on yourself and it does get easier.
  • Options
    PPD can be a pain in the butt. I have noticed that lack of sleep can really bring it on heavy. Not to mention when baby is a cryer. It can all get overwhelming. You have tackled half the battle by being aware. Just hang in there it will soon pass.