May 2016 Moms

Tylenol? Talk me down, mamas!

Freaking out over here.  I posted earlier on the Teeth thread that I've had a constant toothache since getting some fillings done last week.  So for almost a week now I've been taking Tylenol which is the only thing that makes the pain stop, but it comes back every 5-6 hours so I have to take more.  I try to avoid taking it, but the pain is excruciating.  My dentist is very hard to get in with, and originally scheduled me for next week when I called, but I finally called yesterday and BEGGED for an appointment sooner, and they fit me in today so I am going in a few hours. 

The thing is, I know Tylenol is supposed to be safe during pregnancy, but I've been taking a lot of it, and I've read a few things online about behavior problems and ADHD that now have me freaked out.  Anyone have some happy stories of taking Tylenol for serious pain during pregnancy and turning out okay?  I just need some reassurance.  Having to choose between stressful, excruciating pain and taking more medication than I really want to is not a happy choice to have to make!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tylenol? Talk me down, mamas!

• jessiedee13jessiedee13 member
    edited January 2016
    I took probably far too much tylenol with ds2. I had the worst headaches and it was the only thing that helped. I took it around the clock for at least a month...he's 1 and has no problems at all. He's a wild little goober :)

Edit because spelling is hard this morning...
  • I've been taking Tylenol for the 2-3 days now, along with amoxicillan for a total 10 days. I have a horrible ear infection. I know every person is different but I've never known anyone to have a problem child because of Tylenol. I've taken it for each of my kids and all 3 of them are just fine.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I had horrible fibroid pain a few months ago, and my OB was fine with me taking as my tylenol as I needed (within dosage limits, of course).
  • I took Tylenol often with my first (migraines) as well as antibiotics for almost the entire pregnancy (UTIs and bladder infections and kidney stones that just wouldn't stop/go away) and she's perfectly healthy! Plenty of Tylenol for me this time around too with migraines.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• I'm taking it all the time. Same thing when I was pg with DD and she's a happy, healthy little girl. You're good!
  • Don't stress and beat yourself up. If Tylenol wasn't safe, your doctor would not okay it. Pregnant women live on Tylenol since that's all we can really take for pain. I take it for my hip and back pain. I'm sure your baby will be healthy and just fine. Us FTM just stress and worry easily, normal. Just don't exceed the max dose and you'll be okay!
  • Take a deep breath and step away from The Google!! You're doing your best and Tylenol is safe, don't beat yourself up and try not to worry! Good luck with the dentist - toothaches are the worst! Hope you feel better soon.
  • I really only avoided it when I was in my first tri, and so now that all of us are clear out of that stage I don't think its a big deal. If I am having a tough day I take tylenol, even pop tylenol PM's at night without second thought. Hope your teeth get better soon! Take care!
  • According to the internet, everything will cause ADHD (or something else like autism).  I wouldn't worry unless I found a series of well controlled empirical studies and NOT a website of anecdotes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been put on Tylenol 3 due to a cracked rib. It's okay, Tylenol happens and you honestly sound like you may need something stronger. If your dentist offers something more, consider it, you may actually end up taking fewer doses per day and getting greater relief.

I posted this on the rib pain discussion board earlier, but sometimes we allow more pain than necessary (because Dr. Google and mommy message boards like to preach doom and gloom around anything other than homeopathic intervention), but the distress can actually cause more harm to the baby than limited use of medicine.

You deserve to not be in constant pain.
  • Thanks everyone.  The dentist adjusted my bite and redid one of the fillings, and last night was actually the first night in a week that I didn't wake up in pain.  I did take a dose of Tylenol PM before bed, because I was pretty sore from the work he did on the filling, but other than that I woke up feeling pretty good and haven't taken any yet this morning--but if I do start to feel sore again, you all have eased my mommy guilt in taking Tylenol if I need it!  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker