February 2016 Moms

39 weeks and baby hasn't dropped

I'm a FTM 38 weeks and 5 days today, and at my appointment my midwife discovered my baby hadn't dropped yet. She ordered me for an ultrasound tomorrow to determine his size and weight, which I suppose will then determine our next move...anyone else have this happen? What was your end result? I'm not opposed to a C section if that is what it comes down to, it's just not my first choice. Is it still possible our baby could drop right before labor?

Re: 39 weeks and baby hasn't dropped

• Some babies don't drop at all. Some babies even change positions while going through labor, so it's really hard to say. I don't think a c-section should be determined just because s/he hasn't dropped, but that's just my personal opinion. 

Have you tried walking a lot, sitting on an exercise/birth ball, stretching your hips? 
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • kelsjosh said:

I'm a FTM 38 weeks and 5 days today, and at my appointment my midwife discovered my baby hadn't dropped yet. She ordered me for an ultrasound tomorrow to determine his size and weight, which I suppose will then determine our next move...anyone else have this happen? What was your end result? I'm not opposed to a C section if that is what it comes down to, it's just not my first choice. Is it still possible our baby could drop right before labor?

Not all babies drop. And if anything it's more common for them to drop during labor, than before. Definitely not anything to be concerned about.
  • Loading the player...
  • Currently on the ball! Did a few laps around the mall yesterday and a mile today in the neighborhood. That makes me feel better that he still has time to drop, I was under the impression babies should be dropping around 36-37 weeks.
  • Awesome! 

Try not to freak out or worry. Easier said than done, I know, but keep doing what you're doing. 
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure anything is possible.  I don't know if i'd worry about it too much.  Plus people do go past their due dates. ;)  I don't know if i even had my baby "drop" that i noticed.  They just need to get down there in your pelvis.  did your midwife tell you what station you're at?
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• My first never dropped. I carried him really, really high. I was induced at 41+3, ended up with a c-section because his head was far too big to fit down into my pelvis.
    So yeah, a CS is a possibility. I was apparently really confident that I wouldn't need one so I didn't do any reading on it at all. I wasn't opposed to it, I guess it just wasn't a possibility in my mind (which is silly). So maybe do a little research on it and keep your mind open! But it's no guarantee. You have time.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I'm 39 weeks too and baby hasn't dropped yet.  1/2 cm dilated and 70% effaced.  I've been asking around and lots of people have told me that their baby dropped either just a couple of hours before labor or didn't drop until labor.  That makes me feel better. 

Don't start the csection thoughts now.  You have time.  Your baby might want to hang in there till past the due date.

• I don't think my first actually dropped much till I was induced and in labor. He still wasn't low enough and had a big head so wouldn't fit on his own through the birth canal. I was insistent that I did not want a CS and my doctor was able to do an episiotomy and then a forcep delivery. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am 38 weeks 5 days today and just heard the same thing. 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. Also FTM. I have been trying to read about ways to encourage baby to drop and engage. Have been sitting on ball, doing pelvic tilts and leaning as well. Heard a visit to the chiropractor might help if your hips are misaligned. Might look into trying that too. Glad I'm not the only one and wish you all the best!
  • I went to my 39 week appointment as well and baby hasn't dropped. Midwife said baby wasn't engaged and for me to do some hip exercises. She didn't seem too concerned though since I have my 40 week appointment next week. If it was more serious, I'm sure she would have enlightened me more on the situation. 
  • sammzey said:
    I went to my 39 week appointment as well and baby hasn't dropped. Midwife said baby wasn't engaged and for me to do some hip exercises. She didn't seem too concerned though since I have my 40 week appointment next week. If it was more serious, I'm sure she would have enlightened me more on the situation. 

Did she give you specific hip exercises to do?  If so, I'd love to hear them!