Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Is this just cluster feeding?

Hoping someone can reassure me?!
I'm here in the middle of the night in tears with my two week old

Re: Is this just cluster feeding?

• Baby will feed in the middle of the night for a while. My 5 week old normally feeds once in the middle but we still have those long nights with 2+ hours awake at a time feeding and some multiple feeding nights too. Just remember your only job is to take care of you and your baby. Take a breath and remember baby will sleep eventually and you can sleep then too.
  • Thank you! My post was longer - I don't know where it went!!
    Last night was the second time I really felt concerned!
    She wanted feeding around the click from 6 until 2am! There was no let up! She was crying violently in between and wouldn't go down at all! Arms aand legs kicking and head rooting like crazy! Found it hard to get her to latch with all the wriggling and fussing and then she'd nod off. As soon as I moved here into crib she would stir and whole thing started again!
    She went down eventually at 2 until almost 6 but im emotional and exhausted and hubby is leaving for work! Should I be concerned? Call the doc? I hate seeing her like that and im already anxious about the day ahead now!
  • Loading the player...
  • kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited January 2016
    Darling you have a long journey ahead. Babies wake sometimes all night to feed. Plus she's only 2 weeks she still has her nights and days confused. Just let her cluster and you get some sleep during the day. Do some research on flipping baby's clock form night to day( lots of sunlight during the day). Not sure why you would call your doctor, sounds normal to me.
  • Unfortunately it's normal. You'll adjust soon though!
  • Yup! That happend to me! So rough but your babe is helping you build your milk supply so it's not all bad.
  • Cluster feeding doesn't last forever! Generally it's better during the day when baby is on a cluster feeding binge, and then rough at night. Hopefully your day is a little calmer and you can get some naps in. It's usually only really bad for a couple of days.
  • kdoak2015 said:

Darling you have a long journey ahead. Babies wake sometimes all night to feed. Plus she's only 2 weeks she still has her nights and days confused. Just let her cluster and you get some sleep during the day. Do some research on flipping baby's clock form night to day( lots of sunlight during the day). Not sure why you would call your doctor, sounds normal to me.

This. Just remember: this is all new to your baby too. And the two week mark was hard. It gets better. This too shall pass. Your going to blink and your LO will be two months old.
  • Thanks guys - been to my check up and have been reassured too. She's not back at birth weight so might have something to do with it.
    Not gettin the naps in cause her naps aren't lasting very long in between feeds!
  • I have 8 week old twins. They were eating around the clock for those first few weeks. I thought something was wrong with them..sometimes they would nurse for 40 mins and then 30 mins later be hungry again...i was in tears all the time. I was convinced it was never going to get better. Well at 8 weeks its so different..we tandem feed and they usually only eat twice overnight. It gets better everyday. .hang in there..i know its tough.
  • I'm sorry hun-- this is all completely normal. Nurse through it. I've been there. Baby's stomach is so small & breast milk (and formula) are digested easily. Baby wants to be close to you. It's called the fourth trimester for a reason. I know it's hard & the sleep deprivation is brutal. You will make it. Keep on trucking!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Story of my life at the moment. Just when I think babe is regulating he has a growth spurt and the cluster feeding starts again. The only thing you can do is keep yourself as comfortable as possible and keep nursing. Remember it's okay to feel defeated and cry. It doesn't make you less of a mum. I'm torn between wishing he would be older and wanting him to stay sweet and small forever. Ask for help from hubby and family when possible. When in doubt ask your doctor or midwife.
  • Thanks guys!! Awake here on another spurt but good to know it's all normal!
    boobs are awful sore from all the sucking mind you!! And they are feeling stretched from the arm  pit?! 
    Little one keeps dozing off though which is frustrating!! 
  • My LO is 4 weeks and doing the same every night from about 6-10 pm. It used to be worse but gets better every day. Good news is that when she does finally sleep it is for several hours and she's only been getting up once at night to feed around 3-4 am. Hang in there! I'm hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel. Try to enjoy it as much as you can