February 2016 Moms
Options

Man Nesting

So DH has been hit with the nesting bug or something because he got it into his mind last night that the attic and our closets need to be completely cleared out and re-organized with a boat load of stuff that needs to be donated or thrown out. Now the way it goes in lot of couples, IMO, is there is one who likes to keep things and one who likes to throw things out. DH is the one who likes to keep things so this is completely out of character for him. It kind of stinks that it took him until 35 weeks for him to feel this way because I can't do much to help and the house is becoming a DISASTER from all of this (which is making my nesting bug go haywire). But it's also kind of cute and I'm glad to see him affected by the pregnancy on some way.
Anyone else's SO/DH only just now showing signs of sympathy-anything/nesting/etc.?

Re: Man Nesting

• Options
    My dh just got this way too. So annoying where was this energy back when I wasn't exhausted and wanted to get stuff done . Now I'm huge sore and tired and he just doesn't get it
  • Options
    My DH has been this way the past few weeks. It drives me crazy because he wants me to help at 9pm when I'm ready for bed. But on the other hand our basement, bathroom, and laundry room are super clean and the spare bedroom in finally finished so I can't complain.
    I do wish he would of started all these projects in November when I wanted to since I can't help now being on bed rest
    I actually think his nesting is worse than mine!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish! I've been bugging my husband about helping reorganize the kitchen cupboards and he keeps putting it off. I think he thinks I'm crazy ... Which maybe I am a little! But, nesting is for real and I want my nest organized.
  • Options
    The only time my DH helps is after I'm pretty much done and getting Braxton hicks. Then he yells at me for over doing it. (He thinks I'm hurting the baby.. he's paranoid!) I wish he would clean out at least just his closet!
  • Options
    ShatzegirlShatzegirl member
    edited January 2016
    Mine has been making freezer meals like crazy. He doesn't want me to help him because he wants to feel like HE did them all which is super cute and sweet. But I need him to do so many other things that I'm unable do. Hopefully he'll be done soon (I'm tempted to finish them but that'd probably upset him) so we can finish the other tasks on his honey do list! ;)

Edited: Spelling
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is busy fixing up things around the house. Like grouting touch ups and painting ceilings. :)
  • Options

Ugh you lucky ladies! I'm having the opposite experience. H has only helped moved the furniture in the kids rooms a couple weekends ago and that was it. I have had to do everything else for this baby myself to the point where I actually did too much and start having BH and all H says is "just worry about it later" um when she's 5?! I could kick him right now

Yup! This is what I'm dealing with too! And then he yells at me for over doing it when my BH kick in super strong or I'm in pain. I mean, I know he works super hard all week, but there are certain things I just physically can't/shouldn't do at this point. But I still do them anyways or else they won't get done.
  • Options
    Oh I wish my hubby would nest! lol I have to practically beg him to help with stuff like dishes.  My sister in law offered to come clean my house for me and I've almost considered letting her simply because I can't get it done and he's not much help.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    I just feel like DH is doing the wrong kind of nesting! And by wrong, I mean not what I would do. Lol. I am positive in his mind, the mess he is making in order to re-organize is a necessary evil and will get dealt with. I am just getting stressed out by the mess of pulling everything out and down and also a little fearful that he will lose his drive and I will be the one cleaning it all up. I just want to the nursery finished! Not the attic or the closets!

• Options
    Mine is obsessively working and reworking our budget, trying to maximize our savings and reduce interest on all of our debt. As of yesterday, he managed to finish paying off our car loan about 6 months early. He's also consolidated all of our debt and has extensive spreadsheets on how all of our outstanding debt will be paid off by July, and tracking the growth of our emergency fund. He's always been pretty meticulous about tracking our budget/funds (he has an ongoing spreadsheet that projects our 1-3 month numbers) but baby's imminent arrival has kicked it into overdrive.

He likes to show me all of this, so I just generally smile while he explains the numbers. I'm the breadwinner in the house, but when it comes to bill paying and budgets, my brain goes numb.
  • Options

Haha.  My DH is nesting and I'm not.  So weird.  He suddenly felt the need to put up cabinets in the laundry room, get the attic ready to use for storage (we moved in over the summer and needed to get more insulation and a plywood floor put down before storing anything up there), and get the decal up in the baby's room (We're doing a tree silhouette over the crib) and get the car seat bases in the cars.  

Me, on the other hand... I'm too tired and sore to feel like doing anything.  I'm more lazy than ever.  I just want to come home at the end of the workday, play with my 2 year old, and change into comfy pajamas.

• Options
    Mine is doing these projects that are not at all logical to the process... Like taking things out of a bin in the pantry and putting them back in. I have to go back and do it, because he doesn't pay attention to expiration dates.
    I wish he would put laundry away or vacuum the floors... You know, something useful!
  • Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited January 2016
    Mine is making me nuts.... He comes home from a long day at work all I want him to do is cook dinner with him then snuggle and rub my feet and make love. But no all of a sudden he gets home has to vacuum, clean toliets, scrub the stove, go get random crap from Wal-Mart(like cheap put together yourself wooden furniture stuff that we dont need... And all these ugly lamps he put around the house to make it brighter!!! We just bought a house. 8months ago and are slowly filing it up since coming from a small town house to something 4x the size.... We haven't had the time to shop and fill all the rooms yet. Which I'd much rather have real furniture in then this Wal-Mart stuff.... But im just sitting back and watching him think he's helping. Sorry for the little rant) for the house and talk about getting tacos or some kind of take out he is craving for dinner! All this cleaning stuff he has a need to is ridiculous we have someone 1x a week who cleans our house. I clean the kitchen daily when i do the dishes before he gets home. He's always wanting to get us take out instead of making dinner every night together cause he's "exhausted" lol. This all started a week ago I find it funny but frustrating!
  • Options
    Haha that's awesome!! I wish my DH would nest! We just moved into a new house and at this rate I'm worried everything will still be in boxes and the furniture will still be wrapped up and disassembled by the time baby gets here lol.
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ya, it's definitely nice to hear a lot of men are helping you ladies out, I would kill for that with my man. I am like the few on here where mine hasn't done a single thing to help and I'm due in three weeks. He sits around and plays video games while I clean and make sure we have everything ready. Lol oh well, what can you do.
  • Options
    Mine just got the nesting bug too (and I'm 38 weeks!!). He really wanted to make shelves for the nursery after I repeatedly asked that we just buy some at Home Depot and call it a day. Because he's a perfectionist I know these projects of his take longer than he always thinks they will. Any way, he started making the shelves a couple of weeks ago and now they're getting their last coats of polyurathane on the kitchen table...I hope they get installed before our little girl comes!! I know it's important to him that he makes something for the baby's room so I'm just pushing my anxiety to the side and recognizing how sweet it is that he's doing this.
  • Options
    My husband has honestly been the same. He gets things done but on his own time. I know he's busy with work so it's expected. But I would love my husband to be nesting like some of these guys.
  • Options
    DH is a little bipolar when it comes to man nesting. He's either like a tornado and leaves a disaster everywhere he goes or he flips out because things aren't clean. The other night he cleaned off the top of the fridge at 10:00 PM.
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of you ladies with a nesting hubby.  Mine is just trying to get as much video game time in before the baby comes as he can.  I ask him to do thing to help, and it doesn't get done or only gets half done.  It's driving me insane!  I rearranged my dd's room a few months ago to fit the baby stuff (some of which I have to get creative with) and he looks at me yesterday and say, I don't think the room is set up right to fit everything.  His solution is to get rid of a piece of furniture - problem being you still have to put the stuff that is on the furniture away someplace.  I feel like he just makes a bigger mess than helping me clean up. :(

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was so annoyed with my DH the other night. He grudgingly hung up our DD's nursery decor. Sighing and complaining about putting holes in the walls. Really!? You'd think he'd be a little more excited but I guess decorating is mainly a girls' thing? He was crabby in general though so I don't think it was all about that. He did great on the freezer meals but I feel like everything else is like pulling teeth!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I was so annoyed with my DH the other night. He grudgingly hung up our DD's nursery decor. Sighing and complaining about putting holes in the walls. Really!? You'd think he'd be a little more excited but I guess decorating is mainly a girls' thing? He was crabby in general though so I don't think it was all about that. He did great on the freezer meals but I feel like everything else is like pulling teeth!

Omg don't get me starting on hanging things! My husband thinks it's like the worst thing to do ever and I can only use 3m strips to hang anything. Who knew tiny holes were such a difficult fix?
  • Options
    Achae said:

Omg don't get me starting on hanging things! My husband thinks it's like the worst thing to do ever and I can only use 3m strips to hang anything. Who knew tiny holes were such a difficult fix?
    I'm glad my husband isn't the only one! I told him that's what they make wall filler for! I've read you can use toothpaste, too! Just put a dab on the hole and paint over it. He jokingly said the holes were like scars on his soul. LOL men! :smiley:
    BabyFetus Ticker