Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Dr Browns Nipple Question

beanie1977beanie1977 member
edited January 2016 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My lactation consultant recommended preemie nipples so LO doesn't reject my breast. I bottle feed primarily due to extremely low supply (10 cc combined per feeding) and have only been breast feeding as a comfort before naps and bedtime. He's three months and we've been doing this since he was 4 weeks old. All week he's been rejecting breastfeeding anyway. He seems to prefer the paci when upset and screams when I attempt to BF. So I decided to switch to the level 1 nipple. He's maybe had a little BF every day- only one side before he gets mad. I'm thinking he's done, which the LC said could happen at some point and to prepare. he had a strange reaction to the level 1. he won't burp and he actually fell asleep after that bottle and slept for five hours this afternoon from about 3 pm- 8 pm. Just gave him another bottle w/ level 1 and again no burp and completely knocked out.

Not sure if it's the nipple or some weird phase/growth spurt.

What's your experience switching levels? Did your LO have any reaction?

Re: Dr Browns Nipple Question

• No reaction and I don't know if they are even related.
    I don't think changing a nipple could make that much of a difference but maybe.
  • It's probably a growth spurt, appreciate the extra nap time while it lasts! It's ok if he does not burp as long as he's not having tummy trouble afterward.
  • Loading the player...
  • My little one uses the dr Browns bottles and he doesn't burp much. The way the bottle is designed it's suppose to reduce air getting into there bellys.
  • I use Dr. Browns as well. I BF and pumped until 8 weeks and then began introducing formula. My kid wanted nothing to do with the boob from about week 5 until week 10. Now that my supply is down he can't get enough, go figure.

It sounds like level 1 is a good fit for your babe.