1st Trimester
Options

Prev. MC and at 5 weeks now

Hi all. I'm new hear! DH and I just found out a few days ago that we are expecting! Could not be more excited.
Only thing that's cramping my excitement is my fear of having another MC. I got pregnant just before we got engaged, was about 6 weeks and miscarried 2 days after we found out. Can't explain how devastated I was, and DH as well. Now I can't help but be super paranoid. Every once and a while I'll feel a little crampy and rush to the bathroom to check if I'm bleeding (nothing yet!). Although it usually just turns out to be gas. Last night I kept waking up from horrible dreams that I'd miscarried and couldn't help but to go check in the bathroom everytime I woke up! DH says I'm being paranoid, and that everything is going fine so far, my HCG levels are where they should be. Problem is that I have congenital hypothyroidism, I was born without any thyroid gland, and I've been on levothyroxine for my entire life. My doctor was quick to get my TSH levels tested as soon as my blood test came back positive for pregnancy, and they're in a good place right now, but I'm still super worried that something could go wrong... The stress of thinking about MC is making me stress even more! I know I just need to calm down and I'm sure it'll be fine... but the fear is getting to me!! Anyone have any helpful words?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Prev. MC and at 5 weeks now

• Options
    I've never miscarriaged, so i cant say anything like "i know how you feel" or give any advice like that. but i do want to say that I'm sorry to hear you went through a m/c & that i can only imagine how much you must be worried this time around. there's nothing you can do to cause a m/c (from what i know), so try not to stress yourself out too much. maybe you could speak with your doctor at your next appointment & see if he/she has any comforting words/info..?
  • Options
    Hi,

I would love to say I know how you feel, but every woman deals with things differently. My first pregnancy was ectopic, they managed to save my tube. I then got pregnant again due to my history they sent me for an early pregnancy scan at that point I was 5 weeks 3 days, a heartbeat was present but my blood levels were all over the place. They arranged for me to have a re-scan in 2 weeks time from then, at that scan the heartbeat had stopped fetal pole was measuring 5 weeks 4 days - I had a missed miscarriage. I am now pregnant again!!! This time I am somewhere between 6-7 weeks, I attended my early pregnancy clinic last week which showed a healthy sac, yolk and fetal pole measuring between 5-6 weeks no heartbeat was present so I have another scan for tomorrow morning hopefully I see a little flicker. I am absolutely terrified, all I can say is speak to your partner and your GP if you have a close relationship - hopefully they can ease your worries. If you ever need to talk please message me.

Fingers crossed for your sticky bean
    x
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I miscarried last April with my first. Its hard but dont blame yourself. We sucessfully got pregnant again in July. I still had some scary bleeding throughout the first tri. I use to be hyperthyroid but didnt even think to check my levels till around 10 wks. Turns out i was now hypo but not so far off. I am now 27 wks and thyroid under contol. Its been a tough journey so far with many issues but baby has always looked great. I always feared infertility due to having endo.

Hang in there and stay positive. Have my doctor available made things easier. I bug her when I feel like something is not right.

Congrats and wish you the best!
  • Options
    I miscarried in October and was pregnant again in November. I know exactly what you mean about the constant stress and worry. I promise you, it does get better, especially as you get further into your first trimester (I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and feeling MUCH better). Have you scheduled your first prenatal exam yet? My midwife got me in just after 7 weeks so that I could see the heartbeat on the ultrasound for a little peace of mind. My previous m/c was at 5 weeks, so I wasn't very far along either, and once I got past that 5 week mark, ever day felt just a little better. 

Definitely try to do some meditation or breathing exercises to keep your mind off the stress. It helped me a lot to read about miscarriage and the statistics (most people who experience one go on to have a healthy pregnancy, so the numbers are reassuring). Try to remember that thinking about it will change nothing, so you might as well think positively and hope for the best. Good luck, mama! Sorry you're going through this.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Thanks all. I'm trying to stay positive. And today it's weird, because I had my first "run to the toilet" nausea experience, so that was fun. But my boobs aren't as sore anymore. 1faceinacrowd, I haven't had my first prenatal appointment yet, my GP is on vacation and I can't see her until Feb 1, but I've made an appointment with the midwife clinic in my town, so I'm hoping to get in there ASAP, just for some reassurance. The suspense to get my first US might actually kill me if the paranoia doesn't first! Trying to stay positive... 
  • Options
    jackieoicklejackieoickle member
    edited January 2016
    I'm right there with you. I had an easy pregnancy with my son but this past September I had a missed miscarried at 5 weeks. I went for my dating ultrasound thinking I was close to 10 weeks but the baby stopped growing at 5 weeks.. I'm now pregnant and I'm approx 9.5 weeks. I go tomorrow for my first ultrasound. I'm so worried that I'm going to have a repeat of what happened but all I can do is try to stay positive! And hope for the best! Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I think it's totally normal to have that level of anxiety after a loss.  If you are active on your BMB reach out to the ladies there.  I bet you will find other women who are sharing your experience.  I'm active on the July BMB and we have a weekly PGAL thread.  It's been very comforting to me to have those ladies to lean on and validate my feelings (and talk me off the ledge when needed).

As for the hypothyroidism, I am also hypothyroid.  If it makes you feel better I couldn't keep down my medicine from weeks 5-8 because I was so sick.  It's AWESOME that your doc is already monitoring your levels since the thyroid is extremely important to fetal development.  Even though it's scary, try to trust your body and trust your medical providers.  I will add that developing coping strategies, whatever that means for you, will be extremely beneficial.  For me I love the adult coloring books and meditation!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. @megstervt I am starting to get active on the September board, thanks for the suggestion! 
    It was super encouraging that they got on it right away. And the locum I saw instead of my GP wasn't going to redraw my TSH levels until my GP got back, but I was like, could we do them again in a week... just for my piece of mind? He said that was just fine, and also gave me a rx to get my HCG levels checked at the same time. The doctors at the practice I go to are just amazing. So far my coping strategies involve talking to a friend of mine who also had a complicated pregnancy, and she's really great at talking me down off the ledge and calming me down. I'll have to look into those colouring books though!