Baby Names

Final One- Opinions Please

We're having a little boy due near the middle of March.

I think we've decided on Grey Alexander Laing.

Opinions please!

Re: Final One- Opinions Please

• Grey is trendy, but I have to admit, I like it, but I don't like first and last name both having one syllable, so I think Alexander Grey is better.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • not a fan of grey
  • I have to agree with the others, Alexander Grey would be better. I just don't think Grey works as a first name.
  • Grey is trendy? I haven't heard it. Anyways, its not bad. You've noticed the initials are GAL, right. That your boy's initials spell out the slang for a girl? Other than that, I don't see any problems with it. (You'll have to decide if the initials thing is an issue for you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Grey os very trendy on both girls and boy and adding in Greyson, Grayson, Gracen etc it just does nothing for me. Alexander is great and I think much much stronger as it ages

• Grey makes me think blah personally

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• We have a Grey, so I'm a fan. 
  • i appreciate all the feed back please keep it coming!
  • torycandice11torycandice11 member
    edited January 2016
    @SweetBriarBee interesting opinion. A bit dramatic don't you think?
  • I'm not really a fan. It's kind of boring to me and it SEEMS trendy because there are a bunch of Grayson/Greysons now. I mean...look at those spikes in usage:

https://www.behindthename.com/name/greyson/top/united-states
    https://www.behindthename.com/name/grayson/top/united-states

I know you're using a shorter version of these, but just think it's worth calling out.

• Grey is trendy and getting near the end of its trend (so a little stale). I also find Grey to be kind of drab. I would go with a classic first name and trendy mn. Alexander Grey flows nicely.
  • Yes, Grey (plus Grayson, Greyson, Gracyn, etc.) are super trendy. Plus, I just think it's kind of blah. I like it better as a MN.

• Another thing is Grey with your last name isn't great. Alexander YourSurname is much better and Grey could be the middle and no reason you couldn't use it as a nn

• bbiutmcph said:
    Another thing is Grey with your last name isn't great. Alexander YourSurname is much better and Grey could be the middle and no reason you couldn't use it as a nn
    Oh, totally didn't pick up on that. Gray Laing is just not good. :(

• Last name is pronounced Lang. The "i" is silent. Is it the one Syllable for each name that you think doesn't work? @g8trkim and @bbiutmcph ??
  • I've never actually encountered a Grey. I don't mind it as a name, but I do agree with others that Alexander Grey flows better, both as a combination and with your last name.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited January 2016
    Yes I don't like the two short names as well as it sounds like Grayling when said together which is a fish

• Although I do like the name Alexander I have no interest in using it as a first name as it is far too popular right now. Even though it is a classic it is still too 10 and I definitely don't want our son to be one of multiple Alexander's in his class.
  • Although I do like the name Alexander I have no interest in using it as a first name as it is far too popular right now. Even though it is a classic it is still too 10 and I definitely don't want our son to be one of multiple Alexander's in his class.
    But considering all the Grey names being used it's not unique either. 

Fwiw, Alexander was given to a little over 15,000 boys in 2014. Grayson/Greyson was given to about 9,500, with Grey/Gray given to about 300. All 4 variations on Grey are trending upwards.

There's not much distance between the Greys and Alexander.
  • Last name is pronounced Lang. The "i" is silent. Is it the one Syllable for each name that you think doesn't work? @g8trkim and @bbiutmcph ??
    I figured that was the pronunciation. The one syllable is one thing but both having the long a sound makes it worse. Ex. our soon to be DD will be Paige (also one syllable and long a) and if she were Paige Lang that would sound really strange IMO. Our other DD is Brynn, so something like Brynn Witt would be weird. Just something to think about.

• Alexander Grey instead? 
  • Grey with your last name is tough. Yup, grayling is a fish. And people will say, "Huh? Grilling?"
  • Grey is terrible. I wouldn't do that to a kid. I see a lot of teasing in his future :(

I'd go with Grayson instead. Even though I don't really like it. It's better than just Grey.

• I'm not sure I love "Grey" with "Alexander Laing" and as PPs have mentioned two one syllable names tend to run together and sound like one name (Greylang, grilling, greeling). If you like the name Grey maybe using it as a nickname for a longer name? Grayson etc are trendy but what about:

Grady
    Graeme (where I am we'd spell it Graham but I think Americans pronounce that Gram?)
    Graves
    Grainger

Or something that evokes Grey? Or two names that could be given the nn Grey?

Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• I love the name Grey!
  • lauren0571lauren0571 member
    edited January 2016
    I really like the name Grey. 
    I had a student named Grey who was very bright and just an overall sweet kid. 
    Edited to add: I noticed some posters mention teasing. I don't believe he was ever teased about his name and seemed well liked by his peers. Which is saying something when you are working in a middle school.
     BabyFruit Ticker

• I don't have any feelings about the name Grey, it's ok, but I wouldn't use it if I were you because of the initials. I don't think a little boy is going to be happy with GAL as his initials. 
  • nurse714 said:
    Grey is trendy, but I have to admit, I like it, but I don't like first and last name both having one syllable, so I think Alexander Grey is better.
    It IS trendy. I also like it.
  • I like Alexander Grey better. 
    But as PP said, what about Grayson Alexander with Grey as a nn

Pregnancy20ticker

• I really dislike Grey.   
  • I prefer Alexander Grey but I understand not wanting to use Alexander as a first name. I agree with some of the posters above that Greyson or Grayson would be a better option with the word Grey in it.