Which Breast Pump? — The Bump
June 2016 Moms

Which Breast Pump?

Okay, so I just assumed I would buy another Medela pump with this baby (insurance covering it), but then I heard about the Spectra S2 and it has amazing reviews (looking on Amazon and a facebook mom forum). The only thing I am worried about is parts are more expensive and not as accessible. Also a lot of reviews were saying theirs pooped out after a few months. Any experience with these pumps? Or other amazing pumps you want to rave on? I just had a really slow let down with my Medela pump in style Advanced, and I was getting excited thinking maybe something better was out there!

Re: Which Breast Pump?

• I don't have experience with that brand as I have a Medela too. Does your insurance cover any of the cost? Many insurances do now but you have to pick from their options I believe. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you haven't checked. GL
    Grapes13
  • @Bperkun I have t actually checked that yet, good point. The spectra on Amazon is 120.00 so not too bad if for some reason I do use the insurance for the Medela and it doesn't work well for me again. I just keep hoping for something better! My milk supply just dropped and dropped the last time and I only made it 7 months nursing. I was hoping to at least go a year, but even with supplements and pumping 5 times a day and nursing in between I dried up. But I know pumps are never as good as the baby itself.
  • Loading the player...
  • My BFF tried the Spectra and it didn't last 2 months before it crapped out on her. I'm a huge Medela fan and I just wouldn't own anything else.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Grapes13
  • I love my Medela. I had issues with milk supply as well and definitely think it is related to me not being able to let down as much when pumping as when the baby nursed.  If you want some other tips, I have them!! I was able to nurse until 13 months with a poor supply, but did have to supplement a bit
    almostpricelessGrapes13Bperkun
  • I loved the Avent.  I had both the manual & electric versions last time.  I tried the Medela and it didn't work as well for me.  This was also years ago, so take it as you will. 
    Grapes13
  • Originally I had registered for something else (I can't remember the brand), but after talking to a few friends I switched to a Medela. We ended up buying it during Baby Fest a few weeks ago & I'm really looking forward to trying it. From all that I've read, I'm happy with my choice. :)
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave
    Grapes13
  • My insurance covers an Ameda double electric, so I'll give that one a shot first. If it doest work out, I'll likely try a Medela, since that seems to me the far and away favorite of most reviews I've read.
    Grapes13
  • If you are worried about potential problems many insurance companies will pitch towards a hospital grade rental or pay part of a higher quality pump. You can ask your dr about it, they may be able to include that request when they write your script for your pump.
    Grapes13
  • If you go to the Medela website you can enter your insurance info and they will direct you to a company that can get your pump.

I did this and the company Medela sent me to contacted my insurance company, sent me the details of what I was covered for & how much, and then submitted the claim to my insurance company and mailed me my pump!
    Grapes13
  • My BFF tried the Spectra and it didn't last 2 months before it crapped out on her. I'm a huge Medela fan and I just wouldn't own anything else.

So good to know! I read some reviews like that, but then others were talking how they loved it so much more than the Medela.
    btorgers said:

I love my Medela. I had issues with milk supply as well and definitely think it is related to me not being able to let down as much when pumping as when the baby nursed.  If you want some other tips, I have them!! I was able to nurse until 13 months with a poor supply, but did have to supplement a bit

I may take you up on that! I am hoping I can try and establish my supply better early on this time. My son was tongue tied at first and I dont think he was getting a lot in the beginning and then I got mastitis. This time I think I'm going to pump a lot more in between the feedings in the beginning and see if that at least helps!
    almostpriceless
  • I had a poor supply too. Only lasted 4 months last time. :-( I will take any advice/ideas you guys have!
    Grapes13
  • What ever you do don't get the Ameda, it's a POS.
    Grapes13