High-Risk Pregnancy

Moms with Hip Dysplasia?

Hey all,

I usually do not frequent this board, but I am having a difficult time discerning if I am having problems with my hip or if it is just Sciatica pain....

I was born with Hip Dysplasia. I was a very large breech baby and my left hip was not grown in fully and would click in and out of socket. I had to wear a harness for several months. As I got older, I did not have many problems with my hip other than the occasional lock up or give out when I would transition from sitting to standing too quickly.

I have seen a chiropractor within this past year (pre-pregnancy) and we did x-rays. We did find out that my left leg is slightly shorter than my right leg, which could also be the reason why I had occasional issues.

I am currently 32 weeks and I have been experiencing severe pain in my lower back/hip region. It stays primarily in my hip region, but it does occasionally radiate down into my leg. It is hard to put pressure on my leg after I have been sitting for long periods of time and I can no longer bend down or hold my leg at a certain angle. It is helpful when I have rotated heat and ice, but only temporarily (about 20 minutes.)

Have any other moms had issues with this? If so what are your advice? How was it giving birth? Where you put on bed rest?

Would you think that it's my hip or sciatic pain?

I did search other boards before making this thread and I've done my own personal searches but none of them specified their pain for me to come to a decision. I am also getting mixed answers from those around me.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moms with Hip Dysplasia?

• I don't have displagia but FAI. have you gone back to your Chirpractor recently? Seeing one at the end of my pregnancy helped a lot and I plan to again. Lots of pelvic tilts and pelvic press to keep as much movement in my low back helped too. Be sure your nurses and doctor know about your hip problems. During my delivery, the nurse holding my leg kept pushing back and down. My hip flexor was screaming on that side. My husband finally had to tell the nurse hoe to hold my leg to alleviate the pressure. I was horribly sore for about a week after but the pain meds helped.
    Do you have orthotics in your shoes to help? They made a world of difference for me. I was able to get some through my physical therapist but if that's not an option, try a running store. Lots of them have cameras that can shoot your gate in slow motion. Most sell posts and inserts for your shoes too.
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time