March 2016 Moms

Cloth Diapering

For those that do or plan to do... Any tips you've picked up along the way/researched that you'd like to share?

We are using bum genius pockets with snaps. Two friends have cloth diapered their kids (2 each) with this brand and love it. I'm still building my stash! Sales are the only time I buy to save money, I got each of my 8 so far for $10.50.

How are you or how did you deal with judgement of others? "That's gross!" "You'll quit after a few days, weeks, a month..." I don't care generally, but I've tried to educate about how it works and why it's best specifically for my baby and family (not pushing others to try, etc). My parents are huge supporters of it now that I've explained the process and they understand (older generation sees it as a ton of extra work and "pinning", they don't know about our fancy modern cloth diapers.)

How did you get your DH on board? Mine is clueless about babies so I've been given free reign on all things we need since I have a lot of experience through my parents and aunt foster caring for infants. He is totally cool with the less chemicals on the baby and money savings, but others judgement affects him. I think since he will not know "another way" it'll get easier with time for him.

My plan is to use disposables until the meconium has passed, but, I am having a boy and have been reading up on circumcision and the needs for Vaseline to help with healing. Vaseline is a no go with cloth diapers from what I've read, what have you STM used for them at this point instead of Vaseline? Also, did you find that the cloth diaper rubbed the cord at all?

Re: Cloth Diapering

• I plan to cloth diaper. I was amazed at how many people were actually supportive of my choice.

A friend of mine found someone who was selling a stash of diapers and liners (she had ended up with twins, the stash was too small and she gave up before trying), and my DH bought them. DH is behind this 100 %.

Only negativity I've heard was how much work  they are (doing the washing more often than twice a week) or that daycare centers won't work with them (small church run ones might, but I don't know).

I am also having a boy, but we are not doing circumcision (my DH is from England, and doesn't see the need since we are not Jewish).

I will also be using the disposables until the cord falls off (it's only two weeks at most).

Good luck to you!  
  • tJaffe said:
    Any tips you've picked up along the way/researched that you'd like to share?
    How are you or how did you deal with judgement of others?
    How did you get your DH on board?
    Vaseline is a no go with cloth diapers from what I've read, what have you STM used for them at this point instead of Vaseline?
    Also, did you find that the cloth diaper rubbed the cord at all?
    My tip might be a bit late for you, but I recommend new moms either do a cloth diaper trial or buy a couple of several different types/brands of diapers. I know a lot of people LOVE BG pockets. I did not. I used them initially, but they started repelling every drop of liquid after just a month or two of use. Stripping them did not help. I probably could have figured out a way to make them work, changed up my washing routine or something, but it seemed like too much hassle when prefolds and covers worked so much better for us (better poo containment, less diaper rash, less leakage in general). There are a lot of companies that offer free diaper trials, which will allow you to experience a bunch of diapers before you commit to one. I just bought a bunch of different kinds with my firstborn and sold the ones I didn't like/use.

I didn't face a lot of judgment, most of the feedback I got was positive. I also didn't broadcast our diapering preferences much beforehand though. ;) I got some raised eyebrows at my baby shower and that was about it.

Money. :smiley: Honestly, the cost savings convinced him right away. We've used cloth for two kids now, soon to be three. DH is not easily grossed out, so spraying poop off of diapers didn't really phase him (although neither of us likes to do it ha). And until baby starts solids, cloth isn't any more "gross" than disposables. It's so easy with a little baby and no need to spray!

I use disposables only for the first few weeks after a baby is born until breastfeeding is well established and things are a little more normal. I'm not a hardcore cloth diaperer, so I do use disposables on trips, during major illnesses, for grandparents/babysitters, etc. When I do have to use a diaper rash cream though (A&D, desitin, etc) I use a fleece liner like one of these: https://www.sweetbottomsbaby.com/Sweetbottoms-Fleece-Liners-6-pack-p/638170013218.htm so maybe that would work for vaseline as well?

Again, disposables for us in the beginning, so I don't know for certain, but the covers I use generally come up to or even just above baby's belly button for the first few months. It might be a problem depending on the size of your baby and how your diapers are adjusted.

HTH!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I work in childcare and there is a large cloth diapering community here. There was no way I was going to use disposables. DH hates the thought of a disposable anywhere near our child so he's all for it. Most of my coworkers actually cloth diaper as well!

I have a mix of everything as I know not every diaper brand/style will fit every child. I have flour sack towels through to AIOs. I mostly have pockets as they are what I prefer on most children at work. I purchased a few lots off of facebook and some new.

Check out Fluff Love University-I have a great wash routine already to go from reading their information. They have a trouble shooting page on facebook as well. My diapers are all prepped and ready to go (well the ones I'm not repairing elastics and Velcro on but yeah my stash is big already!). They also have how to strip and bleach used diapers so they are clean and ready for a fresh start.

No one has been negative to my face (a trend I have noticed) but DH has been getting comments. He generally responds sarcastically and talks about how disposables are literal poop holders that you just throw away. Plus you are supposed to shake out the poop from a disposable before throwing it out-but no one does that.

I plan on trying out my various styles and brands for a few months. Once I know what works I'm going to resell what doesn't and buy more of what does. I got a lot of microfibre inserts that I'm going to slowly replace with CBI, bamboo, and hemp-I'll keep a few for double stuffing at night since MF absorbs quickly but as LO grows I know she will need more holding power-she comes from a power peeing family.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • My folks and ILs were super judgy about our decision to CD. I just had to tune them out and avoid the topic with them. When we had to move in with my ILs (DS was 3 wks old), MIL bought a bag of Luvs, saying she couldn't figure out the CDs. DH told her just not to change him because we didn't want the chemicals. He totally defended me and our wishes, boosting my confidence. Then she chilled out with the judgment and saw our side.

The distance from chemicals and the savings had DH on board from the beginning. (That said, most of our stash is plain ol' Kawaii with only a few super cute others.) He's pretty adamant in general, so it takes a lot for something someone says to sway him.

I honestly don't remember what we used for healing DS. (The first 3 wks were rough for lots of reasons; I don't remember much.) I don't think we had Vaseline. Maybe it was A&D? Before DS arrived I read threads here on TB to see what others used.

We tried CDing before the cord fell off, but it got wet and so stinky. We switched back until it was gone and fully healed. We're planning to use disposables this time until DD's cord is healed.
  • I love cloth diapering!

We used disposables for a few weeks in the beginning because the BG didn't fit well when they were that tiny. You'll just have to wait and see on that one.

One random bit of advice for after they start eating food other than just breastmilk I'd give is to not buy a diaper sprayer. I thought it was super messy and gross. Instead, I just reuse grocery bags to pick up the poo from the diaper and throw it out with the trash.
  • Great advice!

We were given 8 fuzzibunz recently and diaper liners that are super thin and seem like they'd be great once real food is introduced! I hate the waste of that product but we'll send it with him to daycare.

He'll be with a "nanny" from August to June then home with me for summer. Then in Aug 2017 he'll start real day care so I have time to scope out one that allows cloth diapers.

I will plan on keeping him in disposables until cord comes off and will get him to dr. for circumcision ASAP so we can have him in disposables for that as well. I've read that most diaper rash creams, AD, etc aren't good for cloth diapers so I will keep looking for best alternatives and pass on that information!
  • I didn't face any judgment. It was usually curiosity and or "why would you create extra work" reactions. We were the first of our friends at the time to have kids, so it really was mostly curiosity or a non-thought.

It was my husband's idea. Cost savings got me on board and I also can appreciate environmental benefits. Plus we learned how easy they are especially the first 6 months (pre-solids).

I like BGs okay but preferred tots bots. So cute and soft and they are more trim. I'm trying some fuzzibunnies this time. I preferred sized over one size too. I also liked prefolds/covers at home but hated them out and about. We are not going to deal with them this time because we are lazy.

I accidentally ripped off my daughters cord at the hospital so no experience there. We also haven't considered a potential circumcision and the impact to cloth.

I second the recommendation of a trial. We did one and got the money as a credit since we didn't return any.
  • I have some newborn diapers with the snap down for the cord (little joeys) and we will primarily be using fst/prefolds in the early days so I'm not too worried about covering the cord. DH is 100% against disposables at any point though I've pointed out that our Charlie Bananas can have a disposable liner if we get yeast or anything. He's still not happy about it but I'm glad he's with me with CDing from day 1.

We are having a girl and wouldn't circumise but I believe fleece liners can be used while healing-protects the diaper and keeps baby a bit dryer. Also good for the first few poops.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • I believe fleece liners can be used while healing-protects the diaper and keeps baby a bit dryer. Also good for the first few poops.

Yes! I remember buying and using fleece liners just for that purpose. The diapers weren't hurt at all.
  • I clothed my oldest while potty training, my second child from about 6 months on (she was intolerant to chemicals and broke out instantly and had rash issues). I never faced the judging comments, but dealt with a lot of that just sounds like too much work. Which I just shrugged off. I also got even more of "oh my gosh they are SO cute!" Esp from those in the older generation. My only advice is if you've never cloth diapered before don't get all one style at first! I had pockets hook and loop and snap, AIO and covers with prefolds. With my second I realized I will never use non double gusset diapers. I refuse lol. And I prefer hook and loop but the style of diaper could totally change with each baby. I plan on FST with covers for the NB stage since it's cheap and they don't produce a lot of waste but I have AIO with a pocket to add more absorbency if needed for when he is older and fits in OS. Also some babies can't tolerate certain fabrics so it's really hard to say what's happening until little mr or miss arrives!
  • Also! Viva paper towels work well as liners during circumcision healing. We are not personally dealing with circumcision, but I researched it incase my husband was set on it. Fluff Love University is amazing they have a website and a Facebook page
  • Thanks! I have hubby the option and since he is, he wants baby to be. I'm already nervous about it. It was actually the only reason I was hoping for a girl! Lol
  • We're super pro cloth diapering and have so many opinions and tips so I'll just add a post when I have time.

Getting my husband on board was super easy. With our first, 2 years ago, he was a climate researcher mid-PhD.. so the double whammy of being a poor student (thank flipping goodness I have a good job lol) and someone who is very climate conscious. He studies air pollutants and health and making indicies more reliable, his background isn't crunchy by any means but we make decisions that are meant to be a little easier on the earth - cloth diapering, not owning a car (live downtown in a city with car share) and eating meatless a few times a week. We're not perfect but we try to do what we can. Having said that hubby was on board 100%.
    Our family on the other hand was somewhat awful. My mom kept implying that I was cloth diapering because we were too poor and were having kids too young. FYI we're 30 with very little student loans and I have a great job... she's just convinced because we don't own a home that we're super poor and hide it well. She kept saying "I don't mind buying you a box a week", she just didn't get it. She came around after my 2nd trip to visit (I stayed with them a week a time 3 times over my year mat leave) and we used disposables and he poop explosioned almost every time. I brought a couple cloth that trip and she was sold when the poop explosions magical stopped. Cloth diapers have real elastics and if the fit is good it holds everything in : ) Our in laws just thought cloth diaper was a burden we wouldn't stick with. They were supportive in learning (just like my Mom) but definitely mentioned "don't feel bad if you need to quit", which in parenting is nice advice in general but they didn't instill a lot of confidence. Definitely outlining the benefits and the why you're doing it. This will probably be one of the many parenting decisions they might not agree with so if they're being difficult you might just disagree ;)

As for type of diaper we use Bum genius snaps both the all-in-ones and pocket. That's the majority of our stash. I started using BG and Charlie bananas pocket. We LOVED the CBs when he was little (we have a skinny kid with skinny legs) and CB fit him at 3/4 weeks. I had a c section so we started CDing at 3 weeks. BG fit us well around 6 weeks I think. We didn't have a large stash at first, maybe 18 and we've grown with full time daycare diapers to about 32. I'd definitely reccomend taking a CD course if one is available locally but diversifying your stash at the start is a great idea. See what you love and what works. Another PP mentioned allergies, some kids are sensitive to micro suede fabric. We liked pockets for a few reasons - when they're younger/older you can adjust absorbency. We used wee little microfibre inserts until 6 months then upped it to regular ones (BG & CB come with 2 sizes) but when we were on long trips in the car (sitting can cause compression leaks) or at night time you can add hemp or bamboo in the diaper and double stuff and you get a pretty bullet proof diaper. When our guy turned 9 months we switched to kawaii good night heavy wetter diapers for nighttime. They're cheap and with a bamboo/hemp and microfibre insert they're good for 12/13 hours. Another reason we chose pockets other than customizable asorbancy is that we don't have a dryer (one of those weird life choices we have) and pockets and inserts dry faster than Aio. Although the BG all in ones do dry pretty quickly. One negative about pockets is that you have to stuff them. Some people hate this, we just do it while watching Netflix. Also a few of our diapers are Velcro, the Velcro doesn't hold up as well as snaps with the added bonus that our almost 2 year old undresses before we wakes up in the morning and he can take off this diaper! This is a new phase but we had poop in hand this morning. It was traumatic for hubby and I. Mostly acting like everything is normal in front of kiddo and being like "omg ewww!!!" Behind the scenes!

All for me for now!
  • I've looked into the Kawaii brand for nighttime! I was worried because they were so inexpensive that they might not work as well. And we plan on adding bamboo/hemp inserts into our stash little by little. We don't have a dryer either (which is kinda funny because people don't understand how we live without one)... I really liked the idea of quick drying pockets and inserts and living in key west we have plenty of sunshine nearly year round. I also have told people the stuffing doesn't take too long and can be done easily while watching Netflix (we don't have cable).

The whole doing it because of "being poor" thing.... I have a great job as a teacher, steady pay checks, etc. Hubby is a commercial fisherman so every year what he makes depends on what he catches, the quotas being met early/late, etc. While we have always lived comfortable, we do live below our means in terms of "frivolous" things such as cable or a dryer. So we save for trips and experiences. Cloth diapering is way up our ally because of this. Initial expenses = long term investment to us.
  • We use BG too, love em! A PP have mentioned this already (sorry, I just skimmed through the comments) but BG pockets aren't going to fit until about a month in at least unless you bought specific newborn sizes. It's nice to be a little lazy and use disposables tha first month anyway :)

We got comments here and there. I would usually just respond with the facts, since most people are uneducated on modern CDs and have no idea what they're talking about. But mostly...I just don't care. The people making the comments aren't the ones doing the work. So they can just stuff it!

Anniversary

• The only other thing I wanted to add was get a SOLID wash routine. There's a lot of misinformation out there which can make CDing hard and a lot of it is around wash routines. Another PP mentioned checking out Fluff Love & CD science. My husband being sciencey said they really do know their stuff which is great because their philosophies make CDing easy - basically you're washing poop so use a detergent that's appropriate and treat your water so detergent is most effective.
    A basic wash routine for CD is a short pre-wash on cold, and a regular wash on hot. Don't add a ton of rinses as this can lead to mineral build-up. If you have hard water read the sections in FL&CDS and you'll be golden - most suggestions are to use calgon along with detergent. Hanging to dry is awesome because it preserves elastics and the inside PUL (I think it stands for poly-urethane lining, basically the plastic stuff). I can't remember but I think when you prep a new diaper they might reccomend throwing it into a dryer for the first wash.
    You'll see on FL&CDS's website that they have a detergent index. It's the holy grail! Detergents they don't reccomend can lead to unclean diapers (they may LOOK clean but bacteria can be left behind) or soap buildup from soaps and not detergents (soap nuts is bad for this) and these situations lead to rashes and repelling. We've never had to strip our diapers and have had maybe 2 diaper rashes in 2 years. You'll hear of people having to strip their diapers you should only need to do this if you're battling a yeast infection, buying used diapers or if you have a bad wash routine. As for rashes and creams coconut oil is cloth safe and works really well. I use a cream from a local company that's great but there's lots of different ones available. I only use cream when LO is teething and that's the only time he's had a real diaper rash (opposite to a bit red of a bum). I actually had a bad rash from teething at my ILs and was able to clear it up in 36 hour with just coconut oil (and the tooth pushed through).

Some babies are sensitive to detergents though so while regular old tide might work for us and our diapers, it might not work for your baby. Or you might be against using harsher detergents consider a mainstream alternative like tide free and clear, you might need to use double, the detergent index will let you know. One of my good friends used home made soap and kept having rashes and repelling, she switched to tide f&c after stripping and things went much smoother. I'm thankful she had kids before me ;)

Good luck and if you have any specific questions as away!

Oh and our daycare allows cloth but they must have liners. We use liners from a Canadian
    Company (honestly can't remember their name ATM) but they fit all our diapers.
  • The Kawaii night time diapers were some of our best. I bought a 3 pack of Thirsties cotton doublers to sandwich between our bamboo Kawaii inserts and the regular overnight Kawaii inserts.
  • Bummis makes great liners. They are thicker than toilet paper (think paper towels) and keep the solids on the paper so they can be grabbed and flushed quickly. I disagree with the PP who said not to get a sprayer. The sprayer was a lifesaver for us. Whenever the liner didn't catch something we used the sprayer and it was amazing. You do have to hold the diaper below the rim of the toilet to avoid a mess, but it's still way better than dunking your hands and the diaper in the toilet.

The diaper brand will depend on your kid. Some are good for long skills kids, some better for short chubby ones. We have NB cloth to use during cord healing. They have a snap down.

Everyone who was negative (or unsure) with me I just made watch me change one. That usually changed their minds. It's so bloody simple that people usually felt a little silly having said anything negative.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Our liners are bummies! Thanks @cmerribury for the reminder. Our wet bags are also bummies - really great quality.

We've gotten away w out a spray pal or a DIY one bc our LOs poops are mostly plopable or easy to scrape with a our handy poop spatula. If we had more than 2 soft poos in a week we would have gotten one. Pinterest has lots of DIY spray pal diaper holders - basically plastic and clips to hold the diaper so the water doesn't spray anywhere.
  • @jenniferamcooper what is this magic poop spatula you speak of? I've never heard of this before!

Anniversary

• edited January 2016
    Hahaha @meg_2006 it's a silicon poop spatula (Betty Crocker brand) from dollarama (aka dollar tree in the US), for poops that are kinda stuck (we have them once every 7-10 days) we pry part of it free with the spatula til it plops in the toilet. Then I use my spray bleach solution I keep beside the toilet to spray the crap out of the spatula. The diaper is usually 100% clean of poop, gross as it sounds, poop peels off.

Pun intended.
    It doesn't work for everyone tho.

Edited for clarity. It kinda sounded like I bleached the inside of my diapers.
  • @jenniferamcooper Ha! I remember reading about your poop spatula before. We shall see what this ones poops are like. Last time we needed the sprayer.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Ahh!!! Haha!!! I love the poop spatula! I'm def going to use the liners for daycare purposes, but the poop spatula idea is great especially when we're out of town and don't have our sprayer.

We opted to not spend the extra money on NB cloth, since they're in them for such a short period of time, unless I come across a very good deal, which I haven't yet.
  • Hahaha @meg_2006 it's a silicon poop spatula (Betty Crocker brand) from dollarama (aka dollar tree in the US), for poops that are kinda stuck (we have them once every 7-10 days) we pry part of it free with the spatula til it plops in the toilet. Then I use my spray bleach solution I keep beside the toilet to spray the crap out of the spatula. The diaper is usually 100% clean of poop, gross as it sounds, poop peels off.

Pun intended.
    It doesn't work for everyone tho.

Edited for clarity. It kinda sounded like I bleached the inside of my diapers.

That is genius! I'm going to try that this time before I hook up that stupid sprayer. No matter what I did it seemed to still make a mess.

Anniversary

• tJaffe said:

Ahh!!! Haha!!! I love the poop spatula! I'm def going to use the liners for daycare purposes, but the poop spatula idea is great especially when we're out of town and don't have our sprayer.

We opted to not spend the extra money on NB cloth, since they're in them for such a short period of time, unless I come across a very good deal, which I haven't yet.

We are working with a local CDing store who does newborn rentals for 12 weeks. Very reasonably priced (especially when compared to disposables). You should see if any near you offer it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• tJaffe said:

Ahh!!! Haha!!! I love the poop spatula! I'm def going to use the liners for daycare purposes, but the poop spatula idea is great especially when we're out of town and don't have our sprayer.

We are working with a local CDing store who does newborn rentals for 12 weeks. Very reasonably priced (especially when compared to disposables). You should see if any near you offer it.
    I'm sure the closest cloth diaper store is 3hrs or more away! I live on an island and there is nothing here. No franchise baby stores let alone speciality ones! We order everything online for the most part or drive up to Miami if need be.
  • tJaffe said:
    Ahh!!! Haha!!! I love the poop spatula! I'm def going to use the liners for daycare purposes, but the poop spatula idea is great especially when we're out of town and don't have our sprayer. We opted to not spend the extra money on NB cloth, since they're in them for such a short period of time, unless I come across a very good deal, which I haven't yet.
    I'm sure the closest cloth diaper store is 3hrs or more away! I live on an island and there is nothing here. No franchise baby stores let alone speciality ones! We order everything online for the most part or drive up to Miami if need be.
    Ah. They may be willing to do it mail order. Mine is. Best of luck either way! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Is anyone else trying Eliminating Conmunication (early potty training) along with CD?
  • Naw, didn't want to overwhelm myself with learning too many things. I actually read about EC in an anthropology class. It's pretty facinating stuff. My brother in law teaches in China and a lot of Moms practice EC and he said pretty much anytime he ventures outside his American-style gated community (with 100K people lol) he always sees little kids and babies pooping on the street. I guess a bi-product if EC and no public restrooms nearby...
    As a note I know a lady from our playground who has success with it. She also CDs and only uses pre folds because most of the time it's successful.
  • I've got a stash of about 14 now, bum genius, rumparooz ( which I looove the look of ) fuzzibunz and a few other brands... I have Charlie bananas on my shower registry as I'm hoping to get a few different brands to see which works best for us... I havnt bought any of the "newborn" size though, I have a months supply of newborn disposable diapers that were given to me so I'm planning on using those for those first few weeks of lots of changes and in currently recovering from a huge abdominal surgery whilst 33 weeks pregnant so walking up and downstairs to do diaper laundry isn't going to even be possible for a while ... I'm hoping I don't get addicted to the "ease" of the disposables... I love the idea of cloth diapering and my husband is really onboard with the idea... FYI BUYBUYBABY has bum genius diapers on clearance... They are reduced down to $13 and you can use the 20% bbb or bed bath and beyond coupons on that too.