January 2016 Moms

Overfeeding

Is it possible to overfeed? My LO is 5 days old and eats like crazyyyyyy. Shes on formula currently because my milk hasnt come in and she had latching issues. She drinks about 3 oz (60-80ml) of formula every three hours. She has lots of bowel movements and wet diapers, and doesnt spit up very much. She is already back at her birth weight.

Re: Overfeeding

• My LO is 10 days old and drinks 2-3 oz. every 2-3 hours. He's been doing this since about day 5. I'm going to ask the pediatrician about it Friday at his appt but I don't see it as being an issue.
  • I was told when they spit up, you fed them too much. obviously spitting up is to be expected occasionally but it shouldn't happen often, according to my pedi.
  • Loading the player...
  • As I was told it is possible to overfeed with formula, but not breast milk
  • It is absolutely possible to over feed a baby, but it doesn't sound like you're over feeding. Sounds like your LO is right on track. The Bright Futures AAP handouts that I provide at my patient's newborn visits recommend offering 2 oz every 2-3 hours and more if they're still hungry. 1-1.5 oz/hour is pretty typical so 3 to even 4.5 oz every 3 hours would be a normal range. If baby starts spitting up a lot, you want to consider if perhaps you're feeding too much or consider feeding smaller volumes more frequently.
  • My little guy dropped alot now weight then he should have after birth cause he was such and in the nicu, but on day five he was an oz over his birth weight. He ways has poopy and wet diapers we have to change him alot but from what my Dr says he perfectly fine... Pump to help bring your milk in. I started pumping on day two and my milk had come in by the next afternoon.
  • I would definitely ask your pediatrician. We went in for an appointment with ours yesterday and I was told by this age (my daughter is 4 weeks) that they should be eating about 3oz each feeding. When I had my appointment with the lactation consultant at 1 week she told me 1-2oz per feeding (Breast milk).
  • dd is 4 weeks old and usually eats 3.5 oz every 3-4 hours.
  • My daughter is 2 and 1/2 weeks old, and she eats 2.5-3 oz (always fluctuates) every 2-3 hours. There has been some feedings where 3 isn't "enough" and she roots so we make another ounce and she just soothe feeds most of those times. 
  • My LO is 6 weeks old, and he eats 3 oz. at every feeding.  He usually eats between 3 - 4 1/2 hours.  It always seems to keep him satisfied.  He usually falls asleep right at the last few drops.  If we see that he's hungry before the 3 hours, we will make him a 2oz bottle to hold him over.  He may drink the whole 2oz. but often only needs 1-1.5 in order to satisfy him.