April 2016 Moms
Options

Experience with Care.com

So we've been trying to find a part time daycare center for my DD but so far the wait list is 9 months out or the center is full time only. Then this morning my current home provider tells me she doesn't want to work past this winter (awesome).

So now I need to accelerate my search for daycare which is very limited in my town. I've tried google and county website, but does anyone have care.com experiences, either good or bad that they could share with me? Is it worth paying for? I realize it may vary locally but really hoping for a minor miracle at this point.

Re: Experience with Care.com

• Options
    We used Care.com to find our nanny. There are a LOT of candidates to weed through... a lot of the good people were charging $15-20 an hour (out of our price range, I'm a teacher in NC)... although a lot of that is regional. There were also a lot of people to contact me who couldn't type in proper English (bye Felicia).

However, there were some good candidates on there, and we have been so happy with our nanny for over two years!

You can go ahead and sign up, browse through caregivers, etc.. for free. You just have to have a paid membership in order to contact them. I was only a member for a month, found our nanny, and then deactivated.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Yes, that's how we found our babysitter. It was amazing. Really exceeded our expectations. Every person that we interviewed was outstanding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have experience with care.com, but I found a position as a nanny using www.greataupair.com. You can type in your search parameters to get exactly what you are looking for. It can be paid or free, and there is always the option to run a background check (honestly, I'd do that no matter what). The family that hired me were paid members. I was living in PA and the position was in FL (I was looking to move). Just another option to consider, it worked out great for me. The kids I nannied are now 10 year old triplets and their 11 year old brother and we still keep in touch.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    As someone who's gotten work off their website I would like to say that although a lot of women you will find on there don't seem like they're worth $15-$20 an hour, you kind of have to look at a lot of factors going into that price range. First of all there is no company provided health care option for nannys, so buying a plan is ludicrous to pay for. Second there is a very low likelihood you'll be taking taxes out for their services, so what I used to do was put about a 1/4 into a savings account for tax purposes at the end of the year. Third you reeeeeally get what you pay for with childcare. All too often I've renegotiated my rate of $15 an hour, to $12 an hour, to be turned down for someone willing to do it for $8-$10, only to be called a few weeks later being told some catastrophic story that happened with their child. Usually at that point my ship has sailed.

Another thing to keep in mind, is please for the love of anything holy, if you are trying out multiple people, clearly state that from the onset! The last position I took from their site I had no idea I didn't actually have the job after turning down SEVERAL offers throughout the months of July and August. The family had asked me to start part time through August and I would start full time in September, only to be told the last Friday of August "I'm so sorry but we have been trying out multiple people and we are just going to go with someone older that is willing to work for minimum wage." (I'm still really upset with this family for stringing me along this whole time)
  • Options
    Not child care related but to provide an insight on our experience with the website and candidates...we used Care.com to find our pet sitter/weekend house sitter to watch our cat and collect our mail while we are out of town.  We received a large response to the posting, over 25, after we went through the initial applications I then requested background checks on the candidates we wanted to move forward with.  We set up interviews with those candidates we wanted to meet with and then did a trial between two that we liked the best.  The site worked out well for us and we have a sitter who we can trust with our keys and our home while we are out of town.  It was not a quick process by any means though.  I plan on using the same site for sitters and part time care after baby arrives.
  • Options
    Haven't used it, but I have friends who have. I've heard one bad story (20-something nanny "borrowed" clothing/jewelry, among other things) and many other good ones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never used it as a parent, but I've used it as a nanny looking for work. It did make it easy for people to find me and make our expectations clear right away.
  • Options
    We used Care.com to find our nanny. There are a LOT of candidates to weed through... a lot of the good people were charging $15-20 an hour (out of our price range, I'm a teacher in NC)... although a lot of that is regional. There were also a lot of people to contact me who couldn't type in proper English (bye Felicia).

However, there were some good candidates on there, and we have been so happy with our nanny for over two years!

You can go ahead and sign up, browse through caregivers, etc.. for free. You just have to have a paid membership in order to contact them. I was only a member for a month, found our nanny, and then deactivated.

This was my experience also, we had to weed through a ton of crap. I felt like people messaged me when they didn't have the qualifications, availability, or price range I was looking for, which only wasted both of our time.

I am not if this was only my personal experience, but nearly everyone who inquired about the position asked if they could bring their own child, which is a definite no for me.

While literally 100 people applied, I felt like a had a very few good options. Part of this was on me, because it was my first time hiring a nanny and I didn't know exactly what questions to ask. We ended up with a very underwhelming nanny, who lasted 7-8 months. Now DS is in daycare and we couldn't be happier.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• Options
    As someone who's gotten work off their website I would like to say that although a lot of women you will find on there don't seem like they're worth $15-$20 an hour, you kind of have to look at a lot of factors going into that price range. First of all there is no company provided health care option for nannys, so buying a plan is ludicrous to pay for. Second there is a very low likelihood you'll be taking taxes out for their services, so what I used to do was put about a 1/4 into a savings account for tax purposes at the end of the year. Third you reeeeeally get what you pay for with childcare. All too often I've renegotiated my rate of $15 an hour, to $12 an hour, to be turned down for someone willing to do it for $8-$10, only to be called a few weeks later being told some catastrophic story that happened with their child. Usually at that point my ship has sailed. Another thing to keep in mind, is please for the love of anything holy, if you are trying out multiple people, clearly state that from the onset! The last position I took from their site I had no idea I didn't actually have the job after turning down SEVERAL offers throughout the months of July and August. The family had asked me to start part time through August and I would start full time in September, only to be told the last Friday of August "I'm so sorry but we have been trying out multiple people and we are just going to go with someone older that is willing to work for minimum wage." (I'm still really upset with this family for stringing me along this whole time)
    I'm not saying they're not worth it... I'm saying I can't afford it. Like I would make negative money. We had to make some compromises, like finding alternate care on Fridays, and also having him go to the nanny's house instead of having her come to us, in order to make it work for us financially.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    As someone who's gotten work off their website I would like to say that although a lot of women you will find on there don't seem like they're worth $15-$20 an hour, you kind of have to look at a lot of factors going into that price range. First of all there is no company provided health care option for nannys, so buying a plan is ludicrous to pay for. Second there is a very low likelihood you'll be taking taxes out for their services, so what I used to do was put about a 1/4 into a savings account for tax purposes at the end of the year. Third you reeeeeally get what you pay for with childcare. All too often I've renegotiated my rate of $15 an hour, to $12 an hour, to be turned down for someone willing to do it for $8-$10, only to be called a few weeks later being told some catastrophic story that happened with their child. Usually at that point my ship has sailed. Another thing to keep in mind, is please for the love of anything holy, if you are trying out multiple people, clearly state that from the onset! The last position I took from their site I had no idea I didn't actually have the job after turning down SEVERAL offers throughout the months of July and August. The family had asked me to start part time through August and I would start full time in September, only to be told the last Friday of August "I'm so sorry but we have been trying out multiple people and we are just going to go with someone older that is willing to work for minimum wage." (I'm still really upset with this family for stringing me along this whole time)
    I'm not saying they're not worth it... I'm saying I can't afford it. Like I would make negative money. We had to make some compromises, like finding alternate care on Fridays, and also having him go to the nanny's house instead of having her come to us, in order to make it work for us financially.
    Also want to add that we are paying our nanny $11 an hour, which I think is very reasonable for one kid who naps 2+ hours a day.. we pay her a big Christmas bonus... she has paid holidays.... so it's not like I don't appreciate her. I'm not being a cheapskate. I make $30,000 a year. I can't pay $15 an hour for full-time childcare or I might as well just quit my job.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options

As someone who's gotten work off their website I would like to say that although a lot of women you will find on there don't seem like they're worth $15-$20 an hour, you kind of have to look at a lot of factors going into that price range. First of all there is no company provided health care option for nannys, so buying a plan is ludicrous to pay for. Second there is a very low likelihood you'll be taking taxes out for their services, so what I used to do was put about a 1/4 into a savings account for tax purposes at the end of the year. Third you reeeeeally get what you pay for with childcare. All too often I've renegotiated my rate of $15 an hour, to $12 an hour, to be turned down for someone willing to do it for $8-$10, only to be called a few weeks later being told some catastrophic story that happened with their child. Usually at that point my ship has sailed.

Another thing to keep in mind, is please for the love of anything holy, if you are trying out multiple people, clearly state that from the onset! The last position I took from their site I had no idea I didn't actually have the job after turning down SEVERAL offers throughout the months of July and August. The family had asked me to start part time through August and I would start full time in September, only to be told the last Friday of August "I'm so sorry but we have been trying out multiple people and we are just going to go with someone older that is willing to work for minimum wage." (I'm still really upset with this family for stringing me along this whole time)

Also want to add that we are paying our nanny $11 an hour, which I think is very reasonable for one kid who naps 2+ hours a day.. we pay her a big Christmas bonus... she has paid holidays.... so it's not like I don't appreciate her. I'm not being a cheapskate. I make $30,000 a year. I can't pay $15 an hour for full-time childcare or I might as well just quit my job.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I know if I end going back to work after LO is born, it will cost us money. It wasn't my intention to say you specifically were being cheap, but when a physician and a lawyer are contacting you for a nanny position and don't want to pay more than $10 an hour, are you kidding me???
  • Options

I completely understand where you're coming from. I know if I end going back to work after LO is born, it will cost us money. It wasn't my intention to say you specifically were being cheap, but when a physician and a lawyer are contacting you for a nanny position and don't want to pay more than $10 an hour, are you kidding me???

Just because someone makes more money than the average salary shouldn't mean they have to pay above industry standard for your location. We make good money and live in a nice neighborhood and I don't pay our babysitters any more than my friend whose husband makes 80k a year. To imply that a "doctor or lawyer" should pay more is kind of insulting.

Also if you are choosing to work as an independent contractor and pay your own taxes etc, that's yore prerogative.that still doesn't mean families should pay you more than the going rate in that city. If you want to make more, get a different job or accept the going rate in your area. $15-20 an hour is NOT the going rate in cities in North Carolina (where Pinot is from). Maybe in Boston, NYC, and LA.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    Also when I was a nanny, I didn't pay taxes... I doubt most of them are? We pay our nanny under the table so I feel like that should factor in, too... we lose out on the daycare tax break as a result, but she brings home more money.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Hmmm maybe I need to be paying myn12th grade babysitter 30% more so she can pay taxes! Lolllllllll.

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    But it is the going rate where I am from, and I'm not in a big city. Not my fault you don't feel entitled to pay it? If you want someone with experience, that speaks fluent English, and is doing this as a career you have to pay for it. Yes a lot of people do cheat the system and don't pay taxes, not everyone does. (I certainly didn't!) Also there is a huge difference between a nanny and a babysitter, that's like comparing a traffic guard to a cop.

I'm sure you're aware that there are teirs to the level of service you're receiving, aka don't go into a nice restaurant expecting McDonald's prices, similarly don't pay McDonald's prices, expecting a quality service. The longest contract I had with a family I was making 13.50 an hour, and paid taxes out of that. I had twin infant boys and a 4 y/o girl.

I am not being judgemental about what you're paying your nanny. If that's what you can pay, and that's what she is comfortable making, then it's a great situation all around. (The family I was referring to had make a posting for a position in the $15-$25 an hour range then said they went with someone willing to work for minimum wage. Clearly not what you did, or said.)
  • Options
    Yeah if you're charging within the going rate in your city then you're totally fine to be upset when someone interviews you and more and then wants to pay $10 an hour (or less).

• Options
    Any other suggestions for nanny-locator services? We'll try to bring our current nanny back to the U.S. next summer but she likely won't be interested (we just raised it today!). Also, do these sites not weed out people who want to be paid under the table? Or maybe that's something to put in your add...
  • Options
    JadaBlue said:

Any other suggestions for nanny-locator services? We'll try to bring our current nanny back to the U.S. next summer but she likely won't be interested (we just raised it today!). Also, do these sites not weed out people who want to be paid under the table? Or maybe that's something to put in your add...

With care.com you can actually pay a person through the site and it takes taxes out for them. You can also run background and drivers checks on them before interviewing.

I stopped using the site when I received four back to back text messages from different phone numbers from "a deaf woman who was moving to Florida right before school started and needed my help tonrun errands before she arrived with her son, and where is the closest McDonald's to your house?"

OK I say back to back, it was over the course of a few weeks. Scam much???
  • Options
    As a nanny I also recommend sittercity. I have used both to find families and I still use them to find extra baby-sitting. It has been awhile since I've used both (been with current family almost 4 years) I do believe nannies can click willing to work for cash or want taxes taken out.

I've done both. Make sure you talk about it up front. I had one family who agreed on cash and then 1099'd me at the end of the year and I ended up paying like 3k that year and they weren't paying me much go begin with.

Obviously depending on where you live the pay will be different but if you want only cheap options a nanny might not be for you. I know I cost as much or if not more than daycare but I also cook, clean, do laundry, arrange playdates, drive 200+ miles a week to activities and school. And the child gets one on one learning time in the child's home.

In home family childcare is probably your cheapest option.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    These aren't services but some cities have Facebook groups for childcare, however you'll have to do your own screening/background checks. You can also ask local colleges (for example a sorority you were in etc) if there are any girls whose schedules match the hours you need. That's usually better for date night babysitting though

• Options
    Thanks for the tips! We would employ someone full time and it would have to be aboveboard, so we would pay our part of payroll taxes and use a payroll service. I'm happy to report our nanny is actually considering joining us so if I'm lucky I can avoid a search and getting comfortable with someone new!
  • Options
    I have years of childcare experience, but I am currently working in real estate.  Once I have my baby I want to take in one baby to care for at my house.  My childcare experience was years with twins.  Do you have any ideas how I would find a family who is looking for a nanny type person to take in one baby at my house? 

Thanks!!
  • Options
    $15-20 an hour is NOT the going rate in cities in North Carolina (where Pinot is from). Maybe in Boston, NYC, and LA.
    I live in one of these cities and $15/hr is what neighborhood teenagers get for babysitting. An actual adult with who isn't likely to use your house as a place to sleep with her fifteen year old boyfriend?  Yeah, the prices are extortionate. 
  • Options
    I also live in NC and had the same experience as Pinot. Found a great nanny at a rate I could afford. She decided to pursue her teaching career so she nannied for about 10 months. And at that time we were ready to put her in daycare to get some socialization skills.

• Options
    Bumping this up because I have a similar question: when should we have our childcare situation figured out by? Since this thread is from the fall I feel like I'm already behind! I'm looking at home day care options because that seems like the most affordable thing in our area and I like the idea of smaller groups of kids. The few that I've contacted say that they won't know until the summer if they'll have openings in September. This seems to be cutting it pretty close but maybe it's just how it works? Any insight from STMs or FTMs who already have their situation figured out is appreciated!! 

• Options
    @spatter1 I would investigate your options as soon as possible. My original post had to do with my DD but daycares can have ridiculous wait lists depending on the area. I think last time DD was born we had something lined up at end of January for July start. This time we are with our old nanny for DD and this LO so we've been set for a few months now.
  • Options
    @spatter1 I think this really depends on your area, particularly for day care. I would definitely start researching options if I were you. My current nanny has agreed to return to the U.S. with us, but I'm definitely anxious that she might change her mind.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I've been doing research for a while but wasn't sure when to actually start reaching out. I think home day cares work a little differently than the larger systems and they may not have as good an idea of openings... Regardless, the search is on!