November 2015 Moms
Options

Car seat panic

Hi Moms!! So my 6wk old daughter is not doing so well in her car seat. Everytime we leave to go some where shes screams and holler so bad it takes her breath away. She is strap in the correct way. Im not sure what bout this seat she doesnt like . The brand of the seat is Urbini i purchase it from walmart .. Im really considering buying anther seat for her .

She sits well and her swing and her bouncer . My mom says the car seat seams like its not enough cushion .

Idk what it is ... Any better brands out there i just want her to relax and enjoy the ride .

Re: Car seat panic

• Options
    I know some babies just hate the car seat and there's not a whole lot you can do. We have a britax and our babe usually cries at first but settles in a few minutes. Sorry I don't really have any advice for you.
  • Options
    Yeah some will just hate them. We have the Chicco Keyfit 30. LO hates going into it until we start going somewhere. Then the movement settles him down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you try putting her in it when your around the house? Maybe get her use to it.
    Our DD loves to be tightly confine so she's good in th car seat(for now).
  • Options
    My daughter hated hers. For months she screamed on every trip. She eventually got better. I think it's normal.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I don't recommend leaving your little one in the car seat around the house.

edited cuz wrong link.

https://newsmom.com/car-seats-as-stroller-seats/
  • Options
    If you do decide to get a new car seat, I would double check the return policy, because I would guess your LO may have the same reaction to all car seats. If you can return it, no harm in trying another seat.

Also, just wanted to mention not to put anything under the straps of the car seat that did not come with it (not sure if you were planning on it or not, but when you mentioned not enough cushion, I just wanted to say something because they do sell aftermarket inserts. The inserts have not been crash tested in each seat so there is no way to know how they would perform in a crash).
    We used Graco click connects seats with both our kids. Both fuss when getting strapped in but we're fine once the car got going.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    BRU sells inserts for the head and body. Might be a less expensive option to try out before you go ahead and purchase a new car seat. Could be the car seat you have now, doesn't provide enough head and body support for her.
  • Options

If you do decide to get a new car seat, I would double check the return policy, because I would guess your LO may have the same reaction to all car seats. If you can return it, no harm in trying another seat.

Also, just wanted to mention not to put anything under the straps of the car seat that did not come with it (not sure if you were planning on it or not, but when you mentioned not enough cushion, I just wanted to say something because they do sell aftermarket inserts. The inserts have not been crash tested in each seat so there is no way to know how they would perform in a crash).
    We used Graco click connects seats with both our kids. Both fuss when getting strapped in but we're fine once the car got going.

We have the Graco click connect too and LO seems to like it, or at least she doesn't mind it.
  • Options
    I've started loosening the straps of my car seat to be really loose, then I'll clip my LO in and tighten the straps to where they should be, and this helps keep him from screaming. I use a graco click connect and it's super easy to loosen and tighten the straps. Maybe if yours is easy you can try that, too?

Like a pp said, I don't recommend getting any after market padding, it isn't safe, but maybe you could call Urbini to see if they sell an insert that's been tested in your seat?
  • Options
    I never knew about loosening and tightening the straps until my friend took a car seat class right before my LO was born. My family has always just put them in and left the straps where they were, always tight to the baby. We had no idea that wasn't correct. Anyway, my LO screams When she realizes she's strapped down and can't wiggle out. She's fine in her seat, until she trys to move. I just shut her cover (ohio winters) and sway her gently before putting her in the car. Seems to help.
  • Options
    When we left the hospital the nurse told us to loosen the straps and then once baby is all buckled to tighten them and adjust them as needed.
  • Options
    Is she screaming in the car, or just when she is initially buckled in. If she just cries initially and then calms down once the car starts moving, I would say that is normal.

A friend of mines LO would scream the entire car ride, purple cry. They upgraded their car to an SUV, and now that he can look out the window he is totally content.
  • Options
    Another thing I noticed with Spawn and his Chicco keyfit 30 carseat was that he started crying more in it recently was that he'd outgrown his newborn insert.
  • Options
    We have the Chicco Keyfit 30. Our LO likes it though. I think the insert (factory) keeps him nice and cozy and it's nice because you can easily loosen and tighten the straps. I don't have advice per se but we do love our car seat if you decide to look into new ones
  • Options
    DD does pretty well with having a mirror (chicco) that has lights and plays music. It's a great distractor. That being said the fire department said they couldn't recommend a mirror as nothing should be in the way of baby -BUT the firefighter who did the inspection of both mine and DHs car seats said that he has the mirror. Take it for what it's worth, but we're comfortable having it; For us it works.
  • Options
    Like PPs have said, no aftermarket products but you can always look into Urbini and see if they have any inserts for the product you have, if you think it may be an issue with cushioning. For us LO was starting to get cranky in his seat and we removed the newborn insert and he seems to be much more content. We also have some toys attached to it so he has something to do when he's just sitting there.
  • Options
    Our dd cries every single time we put her in the car seat. We can't take her on walks with it attached to the stroller, and she cries the entire drive anywhere! It's awful. Our ds used the same car seat as an infant two years ago and it was not this bad.
  • Options
    Lolo427 said:

DD does pretty well with having a mirror (chicco) that has lights and plays music. It's a great distractor. That being said the fire department said they couldn't recommend a mirror as nothing should be in the way of baby -BUT the firefighter who did the inspection of both mine and DHs car seats said that he has the mirror. Take it for what it's worth, but we're comfortable having it; For us it works.

We have a Mirror too. It's actually just plain so we can see DS. The cop who check out car seat said pretty much the same thing. And I prefer to have a line of sight on DS in the car.
  • Options
    DS is behind the drivers seat in our car and our mirror is on the middle seat angled toward him. I imagine that helps with the while accessibility to baby thing for the most part since it's not right over the car seat... Would that be a possibility in your cars?
  • Options
    rachswi said:

DS is behind the drivers seat in our car and our mirror is on the middle seat angled toward him. I imagine that helps with the while accessibility to baby thing for the most part since it's not right over the car seat... Would that be a possibility in your cars?

I think the concern is you shouldn't have any objects that could potentially fly around in a crash and injure baby. I've never heard of a mirror being an issue for impeding accessibility, but I could be wrong.

I have a mirror but haven't installed it yet. I am waiting to go to another car seat inspection for our second car sometime this month and then I'll ask the advice of the officers.
  • Options

rachswi said:

I think the concern is you shouldn't have any objects that could potentially fly around in a crash and injure baby. I've never heard of a mirror being an issue for impeding accessibility, but I could be wrong.

I have a mirror but haven't installed it yet. I am waiting to go to another car seat inspection for our second car sometime this month and then I'll ask the advice of the officers.
    Ah that makes more sense. :)
  • Options
    So..... The last 3 days, Zeke has screamed and cried for at least half the trip any time we put him in the car (which is a long time when we're making 30-60 minute droves thanks to being in the middle of nowhere). We haven't done anything differently. Thoughts on what may be wrong or how to fix it? He's 8 weeks.
  • Options
    rachswi said:

So..... The last 3 days, Zeke has screamed and cried for at least half the trip any time we put him in the car (which is a long time when we're making 30-60 minute droves thanks to being in the middle of nowhere). We haven't done anything differently. Thoughts on what may be wrong or how to fix it? He's 8 weeks.

Some kids just go through this, my second daughter went through this stage but it didn't last forever thank goodness :)
  • Options
    rachswi said:

Is the newborn insert still in there? He void have grown out of it.
    Or it could be a new phase, sadly b
  • Options
    Pontot31 said:

rachswi said:

Is the newborn insert still in there? He void have grown out of it.
    Or it could be a new phase, sadly b
    He screamed both with it in and out. :(

I think it's possible he's getting sick. We've been unable to relieve his congestion fully today and he's miserable
  • Options
    Awe thanks ladies!! I think Noelle will cry no matter what.. Awe i wish she didnt panic as bad.
  • Options
    rachswi said:
    You could try attaching a small toy to the car seat or even lay fabric with an interesting pattern (like a shirt or sheet) over the seat in front of him.  He may just be bored. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    11 Weeks and driving with my son has not gotten any easier. Any ideas on what to give him (that won't kill him) to keep entertained in the back seat? I'm not a fan of getting yelled at while driving so I basically don't go anywhere alone. it sucks.
  • Options
    @rubirubi89 I'm in the same boat. A friend suggested putting lavender essential oil on his feet to calm him but I haven't tried it yet. I've had a little success playing white noise on my phone and sticking the phone by or in his car seat so he can hear it
  • Options
    Yea my daughter still panic in her seat we all have gotten use to it. We have a system now lol ... Even tho she still crys we put her in the seat last.. So if u need to grab anything i will wait until everyone is ready to walk outside .. Lol
  • Options
    LO hates the car seat and screams until we get moving and again every time the car stops. White noise definitely helps. I either play my white noise app through the cars Bluetooth or I use the "shusher" that I keep in the car.

Link to the shusher: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Shusher-Soothing-Miracle-Babies/dp/B00D2JN87I
  • Options
    rubirubi89rubirubi89 member
    edited January 2016
    Jtk13 said:
    LO hates the car seat and screams until we get moving and again every time the car stops. White noise definitely helps. I either play my white noise app through the cars Bluetooth or I use the "shusher" that I keep in the car. Link to the shusher: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Shusher-Soothing-Miracle-Babies/dp/B00D2JN87I
    Thought for a second there you meant this shusher. lol

• Options
    As far as the loosening the straps go with this LO it's the first infant car seat I've had where you can adjust them in the front of the car seat. My other kids seats all had to be adjustes in the back and it was not an easy task to do with a kid in the car seat, you had to tip the seat to adjust. So the stripes only got adjustes when the baby grew and they got to tight. The newer car seats are awesome having the adjuster up front to be able to loosen and tighten easily!!

Is your LO going in the car seat with a full tummy? Maybe that will help sooth them