March 2016 Moms

Weird fetal movement (not decreased just weird)

kneill15kneill15 member
edited January 2016 in March 2016 Moms
Okay ladies, I am having regular fetal movement but the past week or so have notice fetal movement in which I can only describe as someone jiggling a jello mold. And the weirdest part is that, I can't feel it I only even know it's going on if I'm looking at my belly. It makes my belly shake yet I can feel it. Just worried about LO, as it's rapid jiggling almost like he's having a spasm. Anyone else experience this??

Re: Weird fetal movement (not decreased just weird)

• So weird you said this, I've noticed this twice. The second time was today when I was recording my belly as LO was being very active. I can't feel it I can only see it. It didn't last long, only a few seconds. It was like a very rapid pulsing. I searched online and people were saying it could be baby practicing breathing? I don't know, I will ask my midwife on Wednesday.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been feeling this recently too.  I remember it from my other pregnancies too and they have all been fine so I'm thinking it's normal.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was thinking it might be something to do with breathing, or maybe he is just stretching and shaking a little. But still weird. I have a Dr's appointment on the 2nd so I will ask then. I'm pretty positive it isn't hiccups, as he has had them before and this is a totally different movement, but it very well could be, and I'm just not recognizing it as such.
  • pumpkinhead4pumpkinhead4 member
    edited January 2016
    I'm going to vote hiccups. If it's somewhat rythimic than yes for sure. It's such a weird feeling and slightly disturbing haha.
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • yeah, i definitely dont think it's hiccups. my LO geta hiccups 2-3 times a day & the feeling you're describing (I've been getting as well) is 100% different. like @ecwk said, it could be baby practicing breathing. doesnt hurt to ask, though! I'll be asking on the 2nd as well when i have my next appointment.
  • I get this too almost daily and I also get some weird vibrating feeling down where her head is (not gas lol) Not sure what it is bc I don't remember it with my boys. I assume it's normal.
  • Definitely not hiccups. It almost feels like the baby is having a mini seizure in there or something. She also does her normal punches and kicks and hiccups frequently but also this weird thing once in a while.
  • My Dr calls them shudders, I've had them in all 3 pregnancies and totally normal.. She says some women can feel them and some can't. Definitely not hiccups, it's like a fast shaking motion.
  • My Dr calls them shudders, I've had them in all 3 pregnancies and totally normal.. She says some women can feel them and some can't. Definitely not hiccups, it's like a fast shaking motion.
    Oh yes shudders is a good word to describe it!  Good to know, thanks!!
  • Ive been having this too! I wondered if it was the baby shivering? I know they dont actually get cold in there, but hay they practice all their other responses in there dont they? So maybe if LO is chilling out close to the skin and then has a little shiver . . . Its happened to me at least 4 times and is totally different to hiccups
  • Yep, I call it baby rumbles, but shuddering is a good way to describe it. I've felt it with all three of mine too. It's kind of weird, but I've just always chalked it up to another weird pregnancy thing!

• Both of my boys did this outside of the womb (I've never felt it while they're inside) - odd movements to watch but I'm assuming it's just their bodies growing, doing what they need to do.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I'm 5 weeks out and last night my LO started punching but it was almost to a beat, like it was very consistent, like she was frantic, it freaked me out because it's never that consistent. Anybody have this happen to them, also been having beaxton
  • I read somewhere that babies in utero have a "startle" reflex just like they have when they are newborns (this is the main reason you swaddle them, so they don't get woken up by their own startle reflex).  I wonder if it's that.  My Dr says that at this point (I'm 32 + 5 today) he's sleeping more, so maybe displaying that reflex a little more?
  • linman83 said:
    I'm 5 weeks out and last night my LO started punching but it was almost to a beat, like it was very consistent, like she was frantic, it freaked me out because it's never that consistent. Anybody have this happen to them, also been having beaxton
    I do get this frequently. Its at a very consistent pace which is what I find odd about it. Like he is hitting the same spot on repeat and counting to two in between each one. I think its normal!
  • lanatalia said:

linman83 said:

I'm 5 weeks out and last night my LO started punching but it was almost to a beat, like it was very consistent, like she was frantic, it freaked me out because it's never that consistent. Anybody have this happen to them, also been having beaxton

I do get this frequently. Its at a very consistent pace which is what I find odd about it. Like he is hitting the same spot on repeat and counting to two in between each one. I think its normal!

This sounds like hiccups to me.
  • lanatalia said:

linman83 said:

This sounds like hiccups to me.

I think I know what kind of "beat" she's talking about and it's definitely different than hiccups. For me it's quicker and I get like 5 taps or whatever real quick/close together in the same area and then back to normal. Hiccups are more spaced out and "relaxed" in a way. Sometimes I feel like he's practicing boxing with a punching bag, just real quick punches then done.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Sometimes I feel like I have a soccer player in my stomach doing kicking drills! Apparently she has long legs so that explains some of it! I've never felt her hiccups... Or at least I don't think so
  • I've felt the rhythmic kicking this time with DD, but I didn't last time with DS. The position and force are different from her hiccups. I think this baby's got some rhythm. It usually doesn't last too long, maybe 15 seconds max.
  • I asked my doctor and she said "I get this question all the time and no your baby is not having a seizure." She said something like it is like ripples in water where a movement will seem like a lot of little ones because the baby is in fluid, and it's perfectly normal.