Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Updated: Round 1- Highs, no peak

Mapes84Mapes84 member
edited January 2016 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hi Ladies, I'm new here. This is my first cycle off of the pill, and I'm well aware it could take a few cycles before thing regulate. I started using CBE Adv OPK, more out of curiosity than anything else. I am currently on day 19, and 9 straight days of high, but no peak. Does this mean: a) I probably didn't ov this cycle... b) Im going to ov late/have a weird, long cycle, or c) I may have already ov'd but the surge was not detected? I know there's no way to know for sure, I'm just wondering what others have experienced. We BD on the first 5 high days I got, but I am going to strongly assume we are out this month! I also don't know whether there is any value at this point in continuing to use OPK this cycle...thoughts?

ETA: Update: Today is CD 22, and OPK #14...after 12 straight days of high, I got a peak this morning!! SO YOU'RE SAYIN' THERE'S A CHANCE? Lol. I'm glad I kept testing, because I almost stopped. We BD last night, and I can assure you we will be tonight and tomorrow. Come at me, husband!

Re: Updated: Round 1- Highs, no peak

• Options
    Are you temping? If so you will have a rise in your basal body temp after ovulation and it will reman elevated until your period comes - if it comes.

OPKs are great for detecting lh, but you need to temp if you want to confirm it.

If you arent temping yet I would recommend getting a mabis thermometer and tracking in fertility friend.

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Mapes84 said:
    Hi Ladies, I'm new here. This is my first cycle off of the pill, and I'm well aware it could take a few cycles before thing regulate. I started using CBE Adv OPK, more out of curiosity than anything else. I am currently on day 19, and 9 straight days of high, but no peak. Does this mean: a) I probably didn't ov this cycle... b) Im going to ov late/have a weird, long cycle, or c) I may have already ov'd but the surge was not detected? I know there's no way to know for sure, I'm just wondering what others have experienced. We BD on the first 5 high days I got, but I am going to strongly assume we are out this month! I also don't know whether there is any value at this point in continuing to use OPK this cycle...thoughts?
    You said so yourself.  There is no way to know for sure.  You could still ovulate.  Or you might not, or you already did.  Get a thermometer and read the Newbie thread pinned to the top.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! The temping seems a little overwhelming (and like one more thing for me to obsess over...) but maybe I'll give it a shot.

And yes, I read the newbie thread. ☺️
  • Options
    I know its daunting to add so many tasks, but knowing what your cycle looks like makes it sooooo worth it. Plus you can get your BD timimg much more accurate improving your chances :)

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, I'm convinced
  • Options
    Yay!! We have TWW (two week wait) and WTO (wait to ovulate) threads so feel free to jump in.

In answer to your question - it is going to be a little difficult to know if you O'd at the moment but it may just mean that you could ovulate late so hopefully you will get a peak soon. If that does happen O cant be guaranteed to have happened without your temps but if you monitor your CM you may be able to guess and hope it did. 

So whilst you are waiting you may want to join into WTO. Or you can just lurk around, totally up to you.

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Mapes84 Putting a word in for temping: yeah, I've become a little obsessive with it too, but it's so fun for me to wake up in the morning and see where I'm at and then put it down in my chart and look at it as a whole. Like, it literally has kept me from sleeping in at all this month. (Except on the weekends. I roll right back over and go to bed after my 5:40 a.m. temp check.)
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    babymish said:

Yay!! We have TWW (two week wait) and WTO (wait to ovulate) threads so feel free to jump in.

In answer to your question - it is going to be a little difficult to know if you O'd at the moment but it may just mean that you could ovulate late so hopefully you will get a peak soon. If that does happen O cant be guaranteed to have happened without your temps but if you monitor your CM you may be able to guess and hope it did. 

So whilst you are waiting you may want to join into WTO. Or you can just lurk around, totally up to you.

Ahhh thank you so much!
  • Options
    emilyIRL said:

@Mapes84 Putting a word in for temping: yeah, I've become a little obsessive with it too, but it's so fun for me to wake up in the morning and see where I'm at and then put it down in my chart and look at it as a whole. Like, it literally has kept me from sleeping in at all this month. (Except on the weekends. I roll right back over and go to bed after my 5:40 a.m. temp check.)

I can totally see this, as the OPK has already eliminated sleeping in for me! Without fail I wake up needing to pee around 5 AM, and then I have to lie awake waiting for the test to finish, and next thing I know, I'm wide awake! I admittedly do enjoy data, though (I'm a huge nerd). So, maybe I will enjoy temping.
  • Options
    I've been using CB Advanced for about 4 cycles. I've only temped for the last 2. That being said, I've noticed that the opk's don't seem to line up with my temps at all. Also, for me, it took about 5 full cycles off bc to really notice that they were finally out if my system. Obviously that's just me, and you will likely have a different experience, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    And I love the fact that temping helped to figure it all out for me. Yes, at first it seemed like over-kill, but in the end, it keeps me fwelding like I'm more in control. I can only add, please do not make the same mistake as me and get your bbt from Target. Walmart sells Reli-on or Amazon has Mabis. Same thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    This might not be what's happening to you, but I once had an experience like that.  I had high opks for a week, never ovulated.  Actually, I did ovulate but not until a whole month later.  And then I missed my fertile window completely because I had given up.  Keep testing!
  • Options
    Mapes84 said:

Thanks! The temping seems a little overwhelming (and like one more thing for me to obsess over...) but maybe I'll give it a shot.

And yes, I read the newbie thread. ☺️

I've temped in the past and decided this month to NOT temp and I'm totally kicking myself in the ass for it. TRUST ME it will take away stress not cause more of it. I promise.

I've had the same issue with OPKs, I keep getting false surges. We've HIO EOD but, you can bet your apples I'm temping now and I will never look back.
  • Options
    I am trying CBAD and getting highs a lot too. Because I temp, I know I haven't ovulated yet. I would take the highs with a grain of salt, because when I use regular OPKs in the evening, they are negative. The highs mean your estrogen levels are up, but not that your LH is surging. Since these are pricy, I think I'm going to go back to Wondfos soon.

I didn't temp when I first started, but now it gives me a lot of insight into my cycle. It's pretty routine now, and I temp at the same time, and then go right back to sleep. 
  • Options
    That happens to me if I take them too early in my cycle (I have a slightly longer cycle with usually multiple LH surges before O). Glad to see you're willing to try out temping. Good luck!
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Options
    Thanks, ladies! Great insight.
  • Options
    I may not be much help, but after 18 months of temping, I'm only just now adding OPK's more out of curiosity to see how it may (or may not) line up with what I already see happening in my chart.  But I agree, that if I had to pick one or the other, I would just stick with temping because it makes it so simple - as long as you can temp consistently at the same time - and otherwise I think I would be stressing so much more just WONDERING what was going on with my body.
  • Options
    Another vote for temping and Wondfos. I turn Wondfos *almost*, but not quite, positive. However, temping confirms that I ovulated. 9 days of high readings would drive me nuts. GL!
  • Options
    Update: Today is CD 22, and OPK #14...after 12 straight days of high, I got a peak this morning!! SO YOU'RE SAYIN' THERE'S A CHANCE? Lol. I'm glad I kept testing, because I almost stopped. We BD last night, and I can assure you we will be tonight and tomorrow. Come at me, husband!
  • Options
    Congrats!!!! Glad you finally got the positive!

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    babymish said:

Congrats!!!! Glad you finally got the positive!

Thank you! About dang time! I know it still probably won't be our month, but I was starting to have murderous thoughts directed at that flashing smiley :D