Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Soild Foods

My daughter just turned 4months i want to know should i spoon feed soilds to her or just put it in her bottle?

Re: Soild Foods

• Options

Not in the bottle! That's a choking hazard.

Has the Pedi given you the green light to start solids? The new recommendation is 6 months but some babies are ready sooner.

• Options
    Ok i havent started yet but yes she said i could what is the best soild food to start with first @Bigboobsmcgee
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok i havent started yet but yes she said i could what is the best soild food to start with first @Bigboobsmcgee

Some people do cereal or oatmeal. I think something like that would be great practice for a baby that young. You'll hear mixed things about baby cereal but it really is just for practice. You could skip both and start with something like banana, apple or even a stage 1 vegetable. It's really up to you! Just a few spoonful's to see if baby is ready.
  • Options
    I got the go ahead to start solids at 4 months and the pedi said cereal 1st mainly just for practice. I made rice cereal and he ate some while most of it got spit out. I made sweet potatoes next and he really likes it and eats most of it. I'm only giving 1oz a day at this point and will gradually increase. Keep in mind formula /breastmilk is most important nutrition source at this point so go slowly.
  • Options
    I gave my little mister rice and oatmeal when he turned 4 months, I just started giving him veggies like green beans, spinach, and squash. He loves it! You can tell they are ready for solids if they're still hungry after eating a bottle. Also a friend of mine told me mixing cereal in their formula can be dangerous. It makes the mixture thicker so they suck harder and it can pop their ear drum
  • Options
    @reneecarmenn oh wow i did not know that thanks for letting me know...im going to try veggies first i havent done it yet..Thank you!
  • Options
    @NurseRieger my daughter did the same thing when i tryed to feed her rice cereal she would spit it up and laugh lol but yes i dont want to rush into anything but i will little by little i want to start with veggies first
  • Options
    @Bigboobsmcgee thank you very much ill try that also
  • Options
    Completely disagree that baby being hungry after a bottle is a good sign they are ready for solids. At this age nearly all of their nutrition should come from BM or formula so if they are still hungry after a bottle they may need larger bottles.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    tracij12 said:
    Completely disagree that baby being hungry after a bottle is a good sign they are ready for solids. At this age nearly all of their nutrition should come from BM or formula so if they are still hungry after a bottle they may need larger bottles.

Absolutely! Make the bottles larger.
  • Options
    I agree with with Traci on her comment. My LO will be a month old this coming Wednesday, and he is always hungry after feeding him 3 ozs. So I have to give him another ounce and a half. And I am nit gonna give him soft solids. He IS way too young for sure! But I am so glad his Pedi isn't concerned about that! Because I always worry 4.5 ozs is a lot of formula for a 1 month old!
  • Options
    I have been adding oatmeal to the babies formula since he was 2 months old. Doctor recommended. Only 2 tblsp per 4 ounces because he was eating too fast and spitting too much up. I was told to make sure he wasn't sucking too hard and to make the hole in his nipple a little larger. I did just that. At his 4 month appointment the doc said I could start him on solids. He loves sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, pears and rice cereal. He can suck down a 6oz bottle in 5 minutes. It is insane. Of course he spits half of it up after. The formula in the bottle was to slow him down. That didn't help much.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012