July 2016 Moms
Options

Is most milk and cheese in Canada (Vancouver) pasteurized?

Hi

I am taking a trip to Canada and am curious if most cheese is pasteurized as well as the milk. Thanks for helping!!

Re: Is most milk and cheese in Canada (Vancouver) pasteurized?

• Options
    I live just outside of Vasncouver. Anything I have come across has been pasteurized. The main milk brands are for sure. (dairyland and foremost) I just make sure that I check the label on any random cheese I happen to buy.
    Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014
    BFP - Oct 19 2015- Due July 1 2016!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes most store bought are just like they are in the US
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! If I eat out to I will be sure to ask!
  • Options
    It'll only be imported cheeses that may not be
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    My OB told me if I can buy the cheese in a regular store, then it is absolutely pasteurized because of food safety regulations. She said I only need to be careful if I buy it straight from a farmer's market or something. 
  • Options
    Yup you should be safe - if you're at a restaurant and order something with goat's cheese or feta or something it's worth asking. I don't know if I've ever seen unpasteurized milk in a grocery store, I think you'd have to actually seek it out to buy unpasteurized. If you're buying fancy cheeses from the deli counter at the grocery store, I'd double check. Anything with a label will say whether it's pasteurized or not.
  • Options
    Oh yea - enjoy your trip :) Vancouver is awesome. Although it's kind of dreary and rainy this time of year.
  • Options
    emlilley said:

Hi

I am taking a trip to Canada and am curious if most cheese is pasteurized as well as the milk. Thanks for helping!!

lolol, where are you traveling to Canada from..? yes, our milk & cheese is pasteurized. unless of course it's from a farmer's market or something like that, as PP's have mentioned.
  • Options
    I don't think grocery stores and restaurants can use or sell unpasteurized stuff as per regulations. Just the farmers markets you have to be careful of. Enjoy Canada :)