March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• So my baby has never been really active. It bothers me. But is it a big deal? My doctor doesn't seem to care and has repeatedly told me that movements don't need to be counted or tracked.
  • @tjaffe  My doctor isn't really concerned about kick counts or anything either.  She said if I felt worried, to do a kick count, but otherwise just relax.   The first time I never knew about kick counts.  

This is sort of a random question, but is anyone else freaked out by how close to the end their ticker is??  It seriously just made me panic a bit.  I need to go do some laundry now or something.  lol  
  • Loading the player...
  • J234 said:

@tjaffe  This is sort of a random question, but is anyone else freaked out by how close to the end their ticker is??  It seriously just made me panic a bit.  I need to go do some laundry now or something.  lol  

Yuuuppppp same here. DH and I did some major cleaning today and plan to finish it up tomorrow. I'm talking hands and knees grout cleaning, pulling the mattress off of the bed and vacuum info underneath, baseboard cleaning, etc. basically all of the stuff we probably should be doing monthly or every other month because we have 3 dogs by don't....

We're about 2 months out so its not like we won't clean again but we deep cleaned today so hopefully we can just maintain for a while. Still on the list is getting the carpet cleaner out and using that but we will probably wait for march for that.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Thanks ladies!! I appreciate the advice. I don't know why it had me worried lol

• Does anyone have a S/O who sleeps really heavy? I'm only going to be able to take 3.5 weeks of maternity leave I work graveyard, so at night baby will be with dad. I'm really nervous that he'll sleep through the baby crying. Do they really "sleep lighter" once the baby gets here?
    BabyGaga

• Does anyone have a S/O who sleeps really heavy? I'm only going to be able to take 3.5 weeks of maternity leave I work graveyard, so at night baby will be with dad. I'm really nervous that he'll sleep through the baby crying. Do they really "sleep lighter" once the baby gets here?

I'm going you imagine he may sleep lighter.... I was a heavy sleeper until I helped my mom with a foster baby one summer. I was 16 and dating and she decided I needed to see what having a baby is all about (not just the fun parts). She was there if I needed her, but baby slept in my room, I had to get up and feed her in the middle of the night (mom met me at my door with bottle ready) and that went on for two weeks. Never slept heavily again! Also, even though I've always wanted children, I knew it would be crazy to be stupid and get preg before I was actually ready! Great birth control! Lol
  • I am a heavy sleeper but was not with an infant.
  • Okay so washing stuff for baby. I assume we need to take apart the car seat and wash the cover, the boppy, play mat etc. Everything needs to be washed right??
  • Okay so washing stuff for baby. I assume we need to take apart the car seat and wash the cover, the boppy, play mat etc. Everything needs to be washed right??
  • I took apart everything like you mentioned. Bassinet, shopping cart cover, changing pad covers, etc. mine was a mix of new and stored since dd1.
  • We didn't wash the car seat, but we did wash play mat, swing cover, etc.
  • Be careful with the car seat- make sure you read the manual for directions first. Most are hand wash only I believe and a pain to put back on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been through two car seats and thankfully they were both machine washable. Ain't nobody got time to hand wash with a baby!
  • Are you ladies using Dreft to wash all of the baby items in? How long do you typically use the baby detergent for?
  • katy0990 said:

Are you ladies using Dreft to wash all of the baby items in? How long do you typically use the baby detergent for?

We use all free and clear for all of our laundry, including baby's items. Never had an issue with it!

• J234J234 member
    edited January 2016
    Okay so washing stuff for baby. I assume we need to take apart the car seat and wash the cover, the boppy, play mat etc. Everything needs to be washed right??
    No... some car seat covers can't be washed... read the instruction manual first.  :)  Everything else I wash.. maybe next weekend.  ETA... we use All Free & Clear.  Dreft has some perfume in it that makes me sneeze.  4yo has skin reactions to anything but free and clear type soaps.  
  • There is a sore spot near my belly button. Hurts to touch, feels almost like a bruise when I touch the area. I'm sure it's just due to baby kicking and muscles stretching....right? Anyone else experience this? 
  • There is a sore spot near my belly button. Hurts to touch, feels almost like a bruise when I touch the area. I'm sure it's just due to baby kicking and muscles stretching....right? Anyone else experience this? 

I get this too and got it last time as well. My doctor said it was probably nerve pain.

• katy0990 said:

Are you ladies using Dreft to wash all of the baby items in? How long do you typically use the baby detergent for?

I've never used Dreft through two kids. I've always used a free and clear detergent because I'm the one with sensitive skin. I'll do the same for this next one.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

Yes! I've noticed this as well, more so since my last doctor appointment, so I haven't asked about it. But I even thought it LOOKED a little bruised right above my belly button.
  • katy0990 said:
    I do. My daughter is 19 months and we still use it (almost done with our second large container).  I'll most likely keep using it for her and mix it with LO's clothes.  DD doesn't have sensitive skin so we don't have a problem picking a detergent. 
  • We'll be using Dreft for all baby things. I myself have sensitive skin so my mom has always used regular Dreft on my underwear and Gain for regular clothes, so using Dreft is already something I do anyways.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Anyone else's husband yell at them? He's not normally like this. I wonder if the stress of becoming a father is getting to him, not that he's been particularly helpful or interested in the pregnancy yet.
  • A bit of a random question... But if I were to go out with my baby and toddler for grocery shopping, what is the recommended order of loading all three? Baby -> Toddler -> Stuff? I have an SUV so it will be one kid on each side. Would you ask the toddler to stand close to you or get him/her to crawl from one side of the car to the other? I'm a bit paranoid about these things so just want to hear from other moms on best practices. I doubt I would want to go grocery shopping with two potential crying kids but I'm sure it will have to be done at some point.
  • A bit of a random question... But if I were to go out with my baby and toddler for grocery shopping, what is the recommended order of loading all three? Baby -> Toddler -> Stuff? I have an SUV so it will be one kid on each side. Would you ask the toddler to stand close to you or get him/her to crawl from one side of the car to the other? I'm a bit paranoid about these things so just want to hear from other moms on best practices. I doubt I would want to go grocery shopping with two potential crying kids but I'm sure it will have to be done at some point.

I leave them in the cart next to me and the trunk as I unload. Then I put them in the car. I go to the little ones side and have the bigger one crawl through, then buckle the little, then go around and buckle the big. Sometimes I just push the cart from one side to the other too, no real rhyme or reason.

I always baby wear in the store until baby is big enough to sit in the cart. I find the car seat too much of a pain.

• tJaffe said:

Anyone else's husband yell at them? He's not normally like this. I wonder if the stress of becoming a father is getting to him, not that he's been particularly helpful or interested in the pregnancy yet.

He might be very stressed out as you suggest. Have you tried talking to him about it when you both are calm?
  • Synnovus said:

tJaffe said:

Anyone else's husband yell at them? He's not normally like this. I wonder if the stress of becoming a father is getting to him, not that he's been particularly helpful or interested in the pregnancy yet.

He might be very stressed out as you suggest. Have you tried talking to him about it when you both are calm?
    Yeah. He feels like he's under a ton of pressure to provide for us while I'm out for 5 months, like he's losing his freedom, and then the unknowns of becoming a father for the first time.

But he wouldn't apologize for the yelling... It was crazy. He said we were going out to dinner, then at 5pm decided we weren't (I'm a teacher and eat lunch at 10:30 so I was starving) but there was nothing defrosted so he said he'd order Chinese knowing I couldn't eat it (huge yucky preggo thing) so I ordered a burger and he flipped out... Apparently he was joking about Chinese but he sounded serious to me and all I cared about was getting dinner for myself at that point... It was just very sudden and very crazy and actually a little scary at how he went from being normal to nuts! I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.
  • tJaffe said:
    Did he want you to become pregnant or it was an accident? In any case try to not take it too close to the heart - he is freaking out for whatever reason. Men are really strange most of the time
  • We tried for 7 months before got pregnant. Basically the entire time we were engaged and got pregnant on our honeymoon... Babies are not talked about positively in his family. His younger brother and SIL have two barely a year apart and the brother tells him how terrible it is until their older than 2, so he's not looking forward to baby part at all... He doesn't get that their experience isnt going to be ours. We've also had a terrible stone crab season financially so he's brought home close to 20k less than the past few years, so that's really freaking him out. :(
  • I  understand. Finances freak them the most.
    I would not want to have two or more children a year apart - it is very difficult. Brother does not help at all and you should probably tell him to slow down on negativity
    Try to be patient, ideal men exist only in movies 
  • @tJaffe I'm so sorry to hear you guys are struggling like that. It's good that you two are able to talk together. However, your DH needs to talk about babies with someone else than his brother...I think your BIL is possibly using your DH a little too much for venting or maybe trying to prepare him for the not so great things, but taking it too far. Becoming a father(or mom) is so much more than just loosing your freedom, having to provide and take care of another life! Yes, there's gonna be some less fun stuff, but all the great stuff and joy you'll get is way, way greater! And your are so right about yours experience won't be the same as theirs! No child nor family are alike. Maybe you two could try counselling? Just so you can get input from one outside the situation.
  • I've got a question regarding weird baby movement... Has anyone experienced this too or know what it is? My baby is very active. She moves *all the time* with only the occasional quiet periods. Now and then (quite often actually) there are these weird movements that she does that feel like something is snagging on something else and it gets snapped free, or it pops out, or *something.* Don't even know how to accurately describe it. Snagging and releasing is the best way I can think of. Sound familiar to anyone else?
  • I've got a question regarding weird baby movement... Has anyone experienced this too or know what it is? My baby is very active. She moves *all the time* with only the occasional quiet periods. Now and then (quite often actually) there are these weird movements that she does that feel like something is snagging on something else and it gets snapped free, or it pops out, or *something.* Don't even know how to accurately describe it. Snagging and releasing is the best way I can think of. Sound familiar to anyone else?

Like something gets stuck and you feel it "release" because you feel a jerk as if two people were holding something, pulling opposite ways, and one lets go? Just trying to understand, haha. If that's what you mean, I think so. I feel like he'll have some punches where I'm just like "wtf are you doing in there?" Haha
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Yes, I've enlisted several others who have kids to talk about all the joy they bring... I'm praying that all my experience with babies (helped raised 13 babies over 5 years through foster care while I was a teenager and my parents took in infants) will alleviate some of his stress or worry about parenting. We've already talked s

I've got a question regarding weird baby movement... Has anyone experienced this too or know what it is? My baby is very active. She moves *all the time* with only the occasional quiet periods. Now and then (quite often actually) there are these weird movements that she does that feel like something is snagging on something else and it gets snapped free, or it pops out, or *something.* Don't even know how to accurately describe it. Snagging and releasing is the best way I can think of. Sound familiar to anyone else?

Yes! This happens to me, below my belly button mostly. It feels like he's getting stuck or caught on something while moving. Mine isn't super active, mostly quiet with some movement though. I feel it most when I'm laying in bed at night.
  • I would say it is hiccuping 
  • Yes! That weird feeling is always in the lower part of my belly, but then she's been in the head down position with most of her movements all concentrated lower for my whole pregnancy. It is like CecilB93 said, like there are two people playing or grabbing something and one of them let's go and that thing pops out of their hands... kindof... so hard to describe! But I'm always like "What om earth are you doing in there!?" It is a feeling that almost concerns me sometimes because it doesn't feel soft and fluid, or like a normal kick. I'm always worried she's getting snagged on the umbilical cord, or entwined in a weird way and stuck somehow... It's just such a strange unexplainable feeling....
  • LIly436 said:

I would say it is hiccuping 

No hiccups feel totally different, it's a distinct snagging feeling.

I thought maybe something cord related too so it's a worry I'm addressing with my doctor on Monday.
  • So, my DH and I went into town today to locate screws to use for our hand me down crib that was of course missing two screws... Easy find, no big deal..... But on the drive back home, I got a slightly overwhelming feeling that this baby was actually real and actually going to arrive. I guess I've been somewhat "withdrawn" or "held back" by the idea that something was going to go wrong this whole time that I never really allowed myself to accept that he's really going to come and they were really going to have and bring home a baby.

Am I crazy? Or is this not typical, but not crazy FTM stuff?
  • @tJaffe I had that similar moment about two weeks ago as I was doing my first load of baby laundry. All that sudden it it hit me that my babies are going to wear these clothes. Everything became very real in that moment.
  • Okay... here's another question: the last two days I've had a completely new feeling this pregnancy. My breasts, not the nipples but the entire breast, like deep inside, are itching. Not in an intensely uncomfortable way, just noticeable. I tried to Google it but most people have itchy nipples or it's the external skin stretching because they're growing. It's neither of those for me. It's like the itchiness is coming from within my breast tissue. So bizzare. Anyone else experienced this?