Trying to Get Pregnant

Please excuse my lack of information (Quick Question)

Hi All,

I have a quick question, that I have tried googling and also looking on here. I've currently been trying (unsuccessfully) to get pregnant. My dh and I tried last year for a few months but stopped and I went back on BC. I stopped BC in August (2015). For the past two months, I have had wonky periods. Last month, I bled for almost a month (lightly..off and on).  I went to my OBGYN (whom I must admit is nurse practitioner) and she prescribed me Provera for 7 days. I also went for a pelvic ultrasound. I then called back and she prescribed me BC (levora) I am on my second week and I am currently bleeding. I now actually want to see an OBGYN can I just call up and ask to see an OBGYN @ my current place (because for some reason I always have to see this N.P)...or should I look for another OBGYN office? Will they request my files from the current place? I am sorry about my lack of knowledge on this topic. Please help. 

~Toya

Re: Please excuse my lack of information (Quick Question)

• @PeggyOlsonFTW Thanks! That's what I was thinking at first..but I tend to overthink some things!
  • Loading the player...
  • You should be able to see whoever you want. Just call the office and request an MD. Nurse practitioners are great, but if you are TTC then you may as well establish with an OBGYN because they are going to be the ones to deliver your baby anyways. Unless she is a midwife, she will not be the one doing the delivery. 
  • @EDnurse15 Yeah, I understand. I've always just seen her, and now I am thinking I want to start seeing an MD. I will call tomorrow to get a doctor appointment. 
  • They're probably only scheduling you with the nurse practitioner for consistincy to keep you with the same person, I'm sure you can ask. You're always likely to get different opinions from different health care providers but don't discredit your NP because they are not an obgyn, they go through pretty similar schooling to a doctor.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My primary care doc is actually able to do all prenatal visits (ultrasounds, and everything that goes along with checkups), and infant/baby care. It's a huge "selling point" to patients. I'm still going to an OBGYN (same healthcare system, but different facility). I just want to know the person who will actually be there for the delivery. To be fair, my doc even said she wanted to refer me to an OBGYN because of my lack of period and cyst issues, but I had already made the appointment so it all worked out.
    Doctors/nurses understand these kinds of feelings. I don't think you would have any problem letting them know that since you've had some TTC issues, you wanted to see an OBGYN. Oh, and even if they do have an issue with it (which they shouldn't), they should be professional and not let it show. Good luck!
  • @SuperKristy85 I actually like the NP (alot)..but I am starting to think I need to see a doctor. I am starting to think if something is wrong ....and my dh and I make it to the year mark w/out conceiving we will have to see a doctor before the RE. (Again, I may be overthinking everything)
  • @NovaSaysNo Thanks!! I hope its the case.
  • They probably keep you with the NP because he or she is "your" care provider.  You can ask to see whichever practitioner you prefer at any time.  If the practice refuses to let you see an OB/GYN, that is a huge red flag, and you should take your business elsewhere.  Having your medical records transferred to a new office is extremely commonplace and is done electronically nowadays, so you'd probably just sign some paperwork and the office would do it for you.

I know you didn't really ask this, but if I can stick my nose in it a little bit... my layperson's opinion is that you were probably not off BC for long enough for your NP to have prescribed interventions.  Conventional wisdom is that it's perfectly normal for your cycle to take up to a year to regulate after coming off BC.  Average time to regulate is 3-6 months, but you were even still in that window if you only came off BC in August.  You also say that you're "bleeding," but you don't mention how much.  Spotting at any time sucks, but is perfectly normal.  

Trust me, I totally understand your impatience.  I've been off BC for 3 months and haven't even come close to anything resembling a normal cycle.  I have literally six friends who got KU their second month off the pill this past year, and each and every one of them was like, "oh, you'll go back to normal right away, just like I did!"  That wasn't the case for me, and the fact is, it's not the case for a LOT of people.  I understand wanting to see your doctor for peace of mind (hell, I've thought about it a million times already), but IMHO, it's too early for you to be worrying and/or seeking interventions.

The mantra I keep repeating to myself is "it can take a healthy couple up to a year of well-timed intercourse to become pregnant."  Simple and obvious, yes, but surprisingly helpful.
  • @LINDSEYRVA  Thanks for your encouraging words! I will keep reminding myself as such. I guess, I would like answers sooner than later....and of course at times like this I feel like EVERYONE is pregnant except for me. Thanks again.