Baby Names

Tree Names for Boy

My father's mn is Forrest. DH and I both want to name our LO after him.  Now, not wishing to use his name directly we came to the idea of using tree names. Not the same but, directly related. We've come up with girl names just fine, but for a little guy, I'm struggling. I LOVED the name Oliver, however it seems like now a days everyone and his brother is using the name. Other names we've tossed around are Lennox, Kiefer, and Rowan (DH hates this name). But, I'm not sold on any of those either.  Middle name would be Scott and last name is similar to Leonard.
Any suggestions?
DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
Baby #1: Aug. 2016
Baby #2: April 1st, 2018
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tree Names for Boy

• First thought was Rowan.

Suggest

Ash
    Linden
    Sylvan
  • Hebrew names Alon or Oren.

I also like Kiefer, Linden and Nash.
  • Loading the player...
  • Cedar
    Spruce
    Arden (latin - "great forest")
    Arlo
    Silas
    Oren

Also, what about Foster? Apparently it's, a variant of Forrest and derives from the occupational name "forester".

Me: 36 | DH: 34
    Married: May 2008
    TTC #1 since August 2015
    FET #1: November 4, 2016
    BFP: November 13, 2016 
    EDD: July 25, 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is there a reason you don't want to use Forrest? Personally, I would just use that as the MN.

• Aspen..London (tree species is London plain)
  • Bodhi. This is one of the few legitimate uses of this word as a name. 

Also Cedar is good. I know a girl named Cedar. It could go either way though. So could Jade. Tehchnically it's a female name i guess.. But it could potentially work on a guy. It's not like we're talking Annabelle here. 
  • Douglas
    Birch
    Alder
  • The only name ice seen that flows with Scott as a middle is
    Douglas Scott
    LOVE Rowan Scott though!
    I'm a big fan of names that flow. So matching names like Ash and Scott just seems awkward to me.
  • I knew a male Poplar once. Not my style, but maybe it's yours!
  • TBH, I would either use Forrest or use your dad's first name.

Nothing personal- I just think it's a bit of a stretch. In the same way people use the first letter of someone's names to honor them.

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

Nothing personal- I just think it's a bit of a stretch. In the same way people use the first letter of someone's names to honor them.

...except using the same first letter as a way to honor someone is an established, legitimate religious tradition
  • I know an Oa.ks and think its super cute on a little boy
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Alder, although I honestly like Forrest very much.

Yeah but using the first letter is actually a religious tradition.

...except using the same first letter as a way to honor someone is an established, legitimate religious tradition
    g8trkim said:

TBH, I would either use Forrest or use your dad's first name.

Sorry guys- didn't mean to offend. I'm not religious at all and legitimately had no idea.

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Forester is another name thats close but not exact. Though i too simply love Forrest.
  • TBH, I would either use Forrest or use your dad's first name. Nothing personal- I just think it's a bit of a stretch. In the same way people use the first letter of someone's names to honor them.
    TBH, I would either use Forrest or use your dad's first name. Nothing personal- I just think it's a bit of a stretch. In the same way people use the first letter of someone's names to honor them.
    Sorry guys- didn't mean to offend. I'm not religious at all and legitimately had no idea.
    Oh, totally not offended. No worries. It's just not comparable to OPs situation so I wanted to help clarify. :)

• My friend has a son with the middle name, Noble. It is a family name on his side. At first I was like "huh?" but then it grew on me (more as a middle name, than a first name).
    I like a lot of the names suggested (obviously I love Foster, as that is my son's name), but wanted to chime in and say that I know someone with a grandson named Banyan (unsure if first or middle name) and that's the first tree name I thought of, although it is obviously not everyone's style. 

ETA--Now that I am pregnant again, my 3yo thinks he is as well and plans on naming his unborn "Treemate". So there's a bonus tree theme name for ya. (We have no idea where he got it.)
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• Silas means of the forrest. Also love Cedar.
  • Ash, Douglas, Alder. Also you could consider some famous forrest names. Like Sherwood (please note I'm not actually suggesting Sherwood, just using it as an example).
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I like Alder and Douglas most.

IDK. Elmer? Scott (pine)? 
  • Linden Scott sounds so nice
  • Thank you all for the suggestions.  I do love the name Forrest and it is honestly a contender, I was just looking at options. I did like the idea of using tree names to tie our future kids names together (we're nature lovers). That was another reason why I was looking for boy tree names, but we also want it to be wearable. Ahhh, who woulda thought naming a baby would be so difficult. :D
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ash or Ashton?

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• What about Glen or Grove?  Good luck!