Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Getting pregnant and my period cramps

I have been married to my husband for one year already. And since day 1 of our marriage, I was still not able to conceive. One thing I noticed is that during my period, I have severe period cramps. And when I say severe, it is very painful and last longer. I read an article on Her Healthy Cycle (https://herhealthycycle.com/period-pains-the-10-causes-behind/) regarding period cramps and I am assuming that I might I be infertile. It was said that infertility can cause severe period cramps. Can anyone help me with this?

Re: Getting pregnant and my period cramps

• Options
    I see. That's what I am planning to do. I was just hoping that some of might have the same experiences. By nevertheless, thank you so much!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, I do have severe cramps, and I did see a doctor.  However, what causes mine and what causes yours could be two very different things.  I do remember being scared to go to a doctor because I was scared of what I would find out.  It turns out knowing is way better than not knowing.  Good luck.
  • Options
    NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited January 2016
    If you've been TTC without luck for a year, and you've been having well-timed intercourse the whole time, it may be worth seeing a RE. ETA: Having bad period cramps is really no reason to assume you have a problem much less that you're infertile.

I'd also suggest charting and temping, if you're not already, so you know whether or not you're timing intercourse well.

Keep in mind that it isn't uncommon for it to take a year for a couple with no fertility issues, who are having well timed intercourse, to conceive. It's really too soon to jump to the conclusion that you're infertile.

Edit 2: Look at that article. How can you even take that seriously?

Edit 3: Upon looking more at the article this is actually what it says under the infertility header:
    Sometimes, the production of androgen (male hormone) in women can cause infertility. This causes menstrual problems, including period pains. It is called the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
    I hate to break it to them but PCOS ≠ infertility.

Edit 4: I stand corrected. @hunnybunny17 I'll admit that I'm not the most educated on PCOS and I will defer to your knowledge on this. I thought I'd seen people say that a PCOS dx isn't necessarily an infertility dx. However, I definitely think you'd know more about this than I do. So, my bad there spreading misinformation. :(
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Wait, what?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

My mom had severe cramps to the point of passing out regularly. She got pregnant by accident twice. Cramps definitely do not equal infertility.

This. My cramps have gotten so bad I've thrown up. I have two kids.
  • Options
    If you've been trying for over a year, it's time to see an RE. It's worth mentioning, but I wouldn't go ahead and give yourself a diagnosis without testing first. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    If you've been trying for over a year, it's time to see an RE. It's worth mentioning, but I wouldn't go ahead and give yourself a diagnosis without testing first. 
    This. I have an infertility diagnosis and rarely get cramps with my period, but that means nothing for you.
  • Options
    Your cramps could mean nothing or they could mean something. Everyone experiences their period, cycle, diagnoses, etc. differently.
    If you've been TTC without luck for a year, and you've been having well-timed intercourse the whole time, it may be worth seeing a RE. ETA: Having bad period cramps is really no reason to assume you have a problem much less that you're infertile.

I'd also suggest charting and temping, if you're not already, so you know whether or not you're timing intercourse well.

Keep in mind that it isn't uncommon for it to take a year for a couple with no fertility issues, who are having well timed intercourse, to conceive. It's really too soon to jump to the conclusion that you're infertile.

Edit 3: Upon looking more at the article this is actually what it says under the infertility header:
    Sometimes, the production of androgen (male hormone) in women can cause infertility. This causes menstrual problems, including period pains. It is called the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
     Respectfully, I disagree. PCOS is the most common cause of female infertility.

TTC + medicated cycles
    3/2015: Start TTC
    8/2015: PCOS Dx
    4/2016: BFP, Loss (4+5)
    2/2017: BFP

Honorable mentions: Biggest IF support sister, sweetest bumpie, most genuine, LFAFer you'd most like to visit, great things come in small packages, pocket sized babe
  • Options
    cjt121413cjt121413 member
    edited January 2016

Your cramps could mean nothing or they could mean something. Everyone experiences their period, cycle, diagnoses, etc. differently.

Sometimes,
    the production of androgen (male hormone) in women can cause
    infertility. This causes menstrual problems, including period
    pains. It is called the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).

QBF

True, but just to clarify, a diagnosis of PCOS and a diagnosis of infertility are not one in the same. Even with PCOS, I wouldn't be dxed as "infertile" unless I had well-timed intercourse for a 6 months- a year and still didn't get KU. I think. I hope I'm not wrong because I don't want an IF label quite yet. :)

OP, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Unless you're temping, you might be having sex at the total wrong time in your cycle to get pregnant. A lot of us would recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. If you have been timing intercourse during your fertile window for a year and still haven't gotten pregnant, then you might have a fertility -related issue. But I don't think period cramps are high on the list of diagnostic criteria.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    If you've been having regular unprotected sex for a year (whether or not you've been charting to determine timing), then you meet the medical definition of "infertile."  You should seek out the help of a reproductive endocrinologist at this point.  I'm sorry you are going through this.

My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    cjt121413 said:

QBF True, but just to clarify, a diagnosis of PCOS and a diagnosis of infertility are not one in the same. Even with PCOS, I wouldn't be dxed as "infertile" unless I had well-timed intercourse for a 6 months- a year and still didn't get KU. I think. I hope I'm not wrong because I don't want an IF label quite yet. :)
    You're right. PCOS covers a wide spectrum from regular cycles to completely anovulatory. If you're lucky enough to get regular cycles and ovulate on your own, that's great. If you're someone who has 100+ day cycles and rarely ovulate, I'm going to lean towards saying you're more than likely going to have TTTC/IF. PCOS can also increase risk for miscarriage, because of hormonal imbalances. @cjt121413, I glanced through your history and I'm happy for you that you're able to have regular cycles on Metformin. Yay for ovulating!

I got unjustifiably really upset (thanks, Femara!) when I saw that last night- because generalizing- and instead of going off on a tangent I posted those 2 sentences and went to bed.

TTC + medicated cycles
    3/2015: Start TTC
    8/2015: PCOS Dx
    4/2016: BFP, Loss (4+5)
    2/2017: BFP

Honorable mentions: Biggest IF support sister, sweetest bumpie, most genuine, LFAFer you'd most like to visit, great things come in small packages, pocket sized babe
  • Options
    cjt121413 said:

QBF True, but just to clarify, a diagnosis of PCOS and a diagnosis of infertility are not one in the same. Even with PCOS, I wouldn't be dxed as "infertile" unless I had well-timed intercourse for a 6 months- a year and still didn't get KU. I think. I hope I'm not wrong because I don't want an IF label quite yet. :)
    You're right. PCOS covers a wide spectrum from regular cycles to completely anovulatory. If you're lucky enough to get regular cycles and ovulate on your own, that's great. If you're someone who has 100+ day cycles and rarely ovulate, I'm going to lean towards saying you're more than likely going to have TTTC/IF. PCOS can also increase risk for miscarriage, because of hormonal imbalances. @cjt121413, I glanced through your history and I'm happy for you that you're able to have regular cycles on Metformin. Yay for ovulating!

I got unjustifiably really upset (thanks, Femara!) when I saw that last night- because generalizing- and instead of going off on a tangent I posted those 2 sentences and went to bed.
    ***TW Loss mentioned***

I understand. PCOS sucks!!! Metformin has helped with ovulation, but I worry that PCOS had something to do with my recent loss. Again, PCOS sucks!!!

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16